Bargain or Pandora's box?

That's actually looks like a good deal. Buy it now, if it turns to a can of worms, don't pay, all you will get is a bad E-Bay rating. big deal.

It is a 45 year old half a million dollar airplane that will cost a lot more to properly maintain than a new one. A guy I know bought one of those against the recommendations of knowledgable friends. It was scrapped as beyond repair in short order.

larrysb said:
So what is it? A bargain x-country machine, or a Pandora's box full of mechanic's bills?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4553203502

Ehhh, never really a fan of the old 210s, and I'm not fond of having the main gear doors. I mean it could be a good airplane, wondering about when on that major. It doesn't look like it has had many updates or mods, and personally, I wouldn't spend my time or money on a strut wing 210, so either it fits my needs as is and I leave it as such, or I pass on this particular plane.

Lightly loaded, those fixed gear 210s can be a passable bush plane, with the advantage of good speed too.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Lightly loaded, those fixed gear 210s can be a passable bush plane, with the advantage of good speed too.
The airplane in question is not a fixed gear, however.

Dave Krall CFII said:

There are fixed gear 210s? Huh, never knew that, I though all 210s were retracts, everyone I've ever seen has been. I always thought that's what the 205s/206s were for.

Henning said:
There are fixed gear 210s? Huh, never knew that, I though all 210s were retracts, everyone I've ever seen has been. I always thought that's what the 205s/206s were for.

Saw one once up in the back-country as an early PPL -at least that's what the pilot guy said it was, and the airfoil looked faster than the C205-6. Not common though I guess.

Dave Krall CFII said:

That's not a fixed gear, it is a spring gear retract. "A" model Prior to the AD series on the saddles of the tube type gear legs.

They are great old hauler, but can be maintaince/ fuel pigs

Dave Krall CFII said:
Saw one once up in the back-country as an early PPL -at least that's what the pilot guy said it was, and the airfoil looked faster than the C205-6. Not common though I guess.

That probably wasn't a 210, but there were few that had the gear bolted down and the retract stuff removed, for weight. I don't believe there is an STC for this. but they were great off airport heavy haulers.

From all I've heard about the problem gear doors, etc. that wouldn't surprize me.

NC19143 said:
That probably wasn't a 210, but there were few that had the gear bolted down and the retract stuff removed, for weight. I don't believe there is an STC for this. but they were great off airport heavy haulers.

Dave Krall CFII said:
From all I've heard about the problem gear doors, etc. that wouldn't surprize me.

Think Fish off the beach haulers, with all the brine running off the fish into the bildge. Probably not many of those old 210s left.

Dayam !

...But you guys must have been around & know your stuff !

NC19143 said:
Think Fish off the beach haulers, with all the brine running off the fish into the bildge. Probably not many of those old 210s left.

Uggg, that reminds me of an Ag Cat I flew on fishgut fertilizer with, and it had a leaky tank. We eventually took an old O2 mask and put the hose to a vent. It was gross.

Back