Bargain or a Bust?

I am blatantly stealing this idea from the PB as I like the thread and hope to make this a sticky or "never ending". The concept is obvious comment on whether the posted sale is a Bargain or a Bust. So I'll start

Bargain or a Bust?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2010...s_Aircraft&hash=item337a601a8b#ht_1221wt_1035

IIRC, Piper had someone else make them with Piper graphics/logos, but I don't remember who actually built them.

Since it's about half the price of a new LSA and it's only 2 years old, I'll say "BARGAIN!", just to kick off the discussion.

I saw one once at a flyin I ran, I was very impressed. If it goes for that I say Bargain as well.

Agreed - they look like about as nice as that category of aircraft get. From a distance they look great, but when you get up close...

...they still look great!

Agreed - they look like about as nice as that category of aircraft get. From a distance they look great, but when you get up close...

Holy cow! That looks like a mid to late-1980s Olds station wagon in your pic...

Agreed. I've been over at KTKI when that plane was doing some TNG's. It's a slick looking devil.

And Jim Kauffman has had a few hours in it and he has said many good things about it.

Thread drift. Interesting the KADS school is divesting this nice LSA. USAG here in Denton is doing the same with their LSA's (Remos, Breezer, and Tencams). I wonder if they aren't the revenue producers those schools hoped they would be?

Last edited:

That's nothing. You should see the mobile zip code he claims is disguised as an Eldorado Convertible. :devil: :lol:

1991 Custom Cruiser. Coolest car I own!

1991 Custom Cruiser. Coolest car I own!

I'm sure I don't have to point out how much cooler you are than this guy!

marcus-schrenker-4-million.jpg

This looks like a no reserve auction and a low bid.

act accordingly.

got bucks

do it.

The Piper LSA were made by Czech Sport Aircraft. Piper has subsequently ditched the idea though you can still buy them as the SportCruiser from CSA. Not too bad of a plane...sat in one at Osh a few years back.

(hopefully she is not related to anyone here...)but I don't think she's a bargon. ;)

hahahah!! I've flown this bird out of US Sport Aircraft KADS.

I would pass. I just bought a Cessna. Avionics are pretty cool in it, but they don't like strong wind at all, which makes them normally very bumpy. They are very agile though and responsive. Hard to sell, and doesn't seem like they retain their value, since they want 105k for a new one.

EDIT: Also I recall some CHT errors last time I flew it.

I think you got the 5 and the zero in the wrong place. These planes go for $150K brand new.

Here's my posts on the DFW board.

I flew up to Oshkosh with one of their managers and he reports that the training side of the business is going strong. It is standard protocol to sell the planes on the line in the 400-600 hr range to make room for new inventory. It's probably happened 6-8 times in the past year.

My guess is the sales price would be in the $120K range for 152PS. It's a clean bird and it served me well on a recent trip to Destin, FL.

The new sales side of the business appears to be steady. The pilots that buy them enjoy a new airplane that they can turn the key and fly to their lake house. The ease of maintenance and the simple operation of the airplane appeals to a lot of people.

They are also the US Distributor for the airplanes. I'm sure they make themselves a pretty good deal to put a plane on the flight line.
biggrin.gif

Bill D.

Bargain or Bust?
Lol.

She's available from what I recall. Ol' Marcus left her high & dry after he defrauded everyone he took a dollar from and she claimed no knowledge of his dirty dealings. Saw the TV special. Interesting.

For me any stressed skin structure using hollow core rivets is a bust.

That's too broad a generalization, It depends on the rivets. The blind rivets used in the Sonex kits are stainless steel, and have higher tensile and shear strength than traditional solid rivets. The Sonex is a +6/-3g airplane with ultimate load limits around +9.5/-5.

Even with aluminum blind rivets, you can make the structure just as strong as solids if the rivets are placed at closer intervals than you would use for solid rivets. There's nothing wrong with that construction, as long as proper engineering principles are applied.

If not, it's got a BRS. :lol:

That's too broad a generalization, It depends on the rivets. The blind rivets used in the Sonex kits are stainless steel, and have higher tensile and shear strength than traditional solid rivets. The Sonex is a +6/-3g airplane with ultimate load limits around +9.5/-5.

Even with aluminum blind rivets, you can make the structure just as strong as solids if the rivets are placed at closer intervals than you would use for solid rivets. There's nothing wrong with that construction, as long as proper engineering principles are applied.

If not, it's got a BRS. :lol:

There is a difference between cored blind rivets such as Cherry products and hollow core. I would never assemble an aluminum structure with SS rivets, that's just asking for electrolysis.:nonod:

(hopefully she is not related to anyone here...)but I don't think she's a bargon. ;)

The guy in the pic was some kind of high-powered financial advisor that had his business go south and tried to use his Turbine Malibu/Meridian as a "let's fake my death" device. As I remember, he had some elaborate plan on how to bail out and let the plane crash in the Atlantic, but he effed up, parachuted into a swamp and got busted.

Pretty sure at this point that the trophy wife isn't visiting him in the Federal pen, though.

There is a difference between cored blind rivets such as Cherry products and hollow core. I would never assemble an aluminum structure with SS rivets, that's just asking for electrolysis.:nonod:

In spades!

Cheers

Bargain or Bust?
Lol.

She's available from what I recall. Ol' Marcus left her high & dry after he defrauded everyone he took a dollar from and she claimed no knowledge of his dirty dealings. Saw the TV special. Interesting.

I would imagine she's pretty high maintenance, or at least she WAS a couple years ago when they were rolling in OPM. She is/was used to the finer things in life and I am sure it will take some getting used to living in a 2 bedroom apartment. :yikes:

For galvanic corrosion to occur, you need an anode, a cathode, and an electrolyte. The two dissimilar metals can act as anode and cathode, but surface area also factors. Unless the surface area of both metals is similar, the electrical potential is not high enough to promote corrosion. The surface area of the aluminum part is far larger than the rivets' area, so the potential is minimized.

In any event, corrosion cannot occur without an electrolyte like salt water. Even Sonex aircraft in coastal areas have not had corrosion problems.

Additionally, the Sonex is built of 6061-T6 aluminum, which is much more corrosion resistant than alclad. This construction method has been used by Sonex since the 70s, and they have had zero corrosion problems with hundreds of flying airframes.

The team that designed the Sonex includes a Lockheed engineer that worked on the F-117, so I think I'm more confident in their engineering than the armchair engineering on this forum.

BTW, Cherry Max rivets are also "hollow core" rivets. The mandrel (stem) is shaped to remain in place after the rivet is set, but the mandrel has no structural purpose. The rivets used in the Sonex are structural equivalents to the Cherry Max.

Back