Barefoot Bandit Visited NE, IA, ID, IN, and Bahamas

Now he did it

attachment.php

Attachments

• COLTON-HARRISMOORE-FBI-WANTED-POSTER.jpg
    COLTON-HARRISMOORE-FBI-WANTED-POSTER.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 137
Oh, swell. He's 6'5" ... so's Bin Laden, and they can't find him, either. :incazzato:

He's also 205 lbs. They should put him in the UFC's Light Heavyweight division up against Chuck Liddell. I've got $50 on the kid. :D

I wonder if mom will still say "I think it's kinda neat" after he is caught-tried-convicted-sent to the slammer for 10 years. What a lunatic.

Looks like he stole another power boat and left Greater Abacos.

Ha ha... his account on Twitter has been inactive for about a year, til this was posted yesterday:

Screen_shot_2010-07-10_at_1.41.58_PM.img_assist_custom.png

Ha ha... his account on Twitter has been inactive for about a year, til this was posted yesterday:

Screen_shot_2010-07-10_at_1.41.58_PM.img_assist_custom.png

He not only stole a boat to get off the Bahamas but he had time to get online?

I guess he stole enough money.

No wonder the boy turned out the way he has. His mother (in my opinion) is wackadoodles.

The mother is a real piece of work. Too bad they can'r prosecute her as an accessory.

I wonder if mom will still say "I think it's kinda neat" after he is caught-tried-convicted-sent to the slammer for 10 years. What a lunatic.

She'll just be busy counting the royalties...
It occurred to me that now that we know that he could get online it also means that he could have been in touch with Mom, and we can guess where the "leave the US" idea came from..."I wish he picked a country that doesn't have an extradition treaty with the US." Indeed.

Wanna bet that the FBI has tapped Mom's phone and was monitoring her computer?

Mom could very well be in danger of being prosecuted for aiding a fugitive.

Re: Barefoot Bandit Stopped in NE, IA

Hmmm...wonder if the kid would have made it without a moving map GPS.

Somebody plot the GPS Direct route from Indiana to the Bahamas and tell me how he skirted controlled airspace, else how ATC didn't have a direct target trailed. Too bad he didn't run into P-40 or one of the VIP moving TFRs.

I kinda doubt he knew how to set the transponder or how go about avoiding Class Bs.

Somebody plot the GPS Direct route from Indiana to the Bahamas and tell me how he skirted controlled airspace, else how ATC didn't have a direct target trailed. Too bad he didn't run into P-40 or one of the VIP moving TFRs.

I kinda doubt he knew how to set the transponder or how go about avoiding Class Bs.

As long as he flew up around 7,000 feet, he actually would have been ok airspace wise on a direct flight plan from what I've looked at. Probably by sheer luck.

Transponder was probably off, too. ?

Look at the planes he was flying, all modern glass panel stuff. A few hours with a PC Sim and the right plug ins and you can learn everything you need.

OUCH... Plane (Corvallis) was under-insured by $120,000:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2012359770_colton15m.html

In that same article, regarding the judge:

Dube set another hearing for Friday morning to determine Harris-Moore's legal representation, whether he should be released on bail and when he should return to Seattle, where he faces a federal charge of stealing an airplane from Idaho that crash-landed near Granite Falls last year.

I'm sure it's just legal process, everybody before the court has that determination made, but I found it funny. I'd like to see his attorney try to argue that he's not a flight risk (double meaning there, too!).

Last edited:
If everyone on this board isn't mad as heck at this young man for what he's done, maybe this will help. http://tinyurl.com/276uvf7
Now there are calls in the national news for more airport security.

Best,

Dave
=====================================================
(July 14) -- Authorities say Colton Harris-Moore -- the so-called "Barefoot Bandit" -- is responsible not only for hundreds of burglaries, but also the theft of at least five airplanes. How the 19-year-old allegedly pulled off so many crimes in two years is a subject of debate, but one expert sees an even bigger issue -- the ease of stealing planes even after 9/11.

"The fact that [authorities say] he was able to get the airplanes and get them out of the [airports] successfully without anybody challenging him is scary," Los Angeles attorney John A. Greaves said in an interview with AOL News. "That means, basically, anybody that wants to steal a plane can."

If everyone on this board isn't mad as heck at this young man for what he's done, maybe this will help. http://tinyurl.com/276uvf7

Best,

Dave
(July 14) -- Authorities say Colton Harris-Moore -- the so-called "Barefoot Bandit" -- is responsible not only for hundreds of burglaries, but also the theft of at least five airplanes. How the 19-year-old allegedly pulled off so many crimes in two years is a subject of debate, but one expert sees an even bigger issue -- the ease of stealing planes even after 9/11.

"The fact that [authorities say] he was able to get the airplanes and get them out of the [airports] successfully without anybody challenging him is scary," Los Angeles attorney John A. Greaves said in an interview with AOL News. "That means, basically, anybody that wants to steal a plane can."
Most of the alarmists in this article ought to know better. The primary alarmist is Los Angeles attorney John A. Greaves, a seasoned airline accident lawyer and former commercial airline pilot.

In advocating additional locks, the article says, "The Congressional Research Service report makes similar suggestions regarding motion sensors, as well as keypad locks. And the National Association of State Aviation Officials (NASAO) is an advocate of locking all hangars and aircraft."

Here's an interesting comment:
"We recommend multiple locks," NASAO president and CEO Henry M. Ogrodzinski said in an e-mail to AOL News. "In addition to the ignition key, most modern aircraft also require a door key. There are also inexpensive but effective propeller locks, wheel locks, throttle locks, tie-down locks and gust locks," which lock such things as the plane's rudder and ailerons.
I secure my airplane with door locks, ignition lock and a gust lock, too.

Which follows are sure as night follows day. Why have the knees in Washington DC been so quiet?

...might have something to do with the kid being mocking the feds for over a year?

Best,

Dave

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_theft
" Nationwide in the US in 2005, there were an estimated 1.2 million motor vehicle thefts, or approximately 416.7 motor vehicles stolen for every 100,000 inhabitants.Property losses due to motor vehicle theft in 2005 were estimated at $7.6 billion."

Worry about something real.

Remember January 5, 2002.

Most of the alarmists in this article ought to know better. The primary alarmist is Los Angeles attorney John A. Greaves, a seasoned airline accident lawyer and former commercial airline pilot.

In advocating additional locks, the article says, "The Congressional Research Service report makes similar suggestions regarding motion sensors, as well as keypad locks. And the National Association of State Aviation Officials (NASAO) is an advocate of locking all hangars and aircraft."

Here's an interesting comment: I secure my airplane with door locks, ignition lock and a gust lock, too.

It is never a good day when your gust lock is broken into!!!!

With what? Why?
He is not the personality of a "hero". He is a thief that steals and destroys the property of others. Comparing them is ridiculous. I don't think anything he has done is "cool" or "heroic".

Thing is though that there is a large marketing demographic with very high percentage disposable income who think what he did was cool. No need for "Heroic", this demographic is about Shred, and he shredded with airplanes. He has a major market potential, and that's what the new world is all about. Even if it never gets released in the US and he's paid off shore, there's still a plenty big world wide market. It's the example of Americans everyone world wide knows, that's half of why Americans are viewed as they are, people believe what they see on TV is representative of America and Americans. Australia is huge with that kind of propaganda. It's actually funny what the average Australian who has not been abroad believes. Europe does the same, but a bit differently. The British do it by pointing to us as the retarded step child and laughing and the Continentals just do it using general disdain and resignation interspersed with indignance. Mostly though it's jealousy. The USA is a rather magical place with regards to nature, it really is. Topographically, we have everything, and economically we do well even though people like to grumble, Americans have a pretty good standard of living across the board because of the real advantage that Americans have which is opportunity. In America it is a small portion of the population that remains destitute and in squalor, and most of those are so because of choices they continue to make. In America pretty much anybody has a chance, and it's that fact that the propaganda machines need to hide because they don't want their people to start questioning why they don't have the same opportunities. It's not totally effective though, that's why so many people from everywhere immigrate to the US. For a good number, it's just for a while and then they go home and bring some opportunity with them.

This is just the kind of story the world media thrives on, show Americans as a bunch of criminals and blood thirsty selfish greedy people. Remember Mathias Rust I think his name was? The kid who landed the 172 in Red Square? He was a criminal for doing what he did. Hell, who knows what could have happened if the radar had picked him up! He had "hero" type status, he basically stole an airplane and took it on an international flight in violation of multiple laws and caused a hazard to life and property when he landed. Our media didn't portray him that way, it portrayed the Soviets as incapable. Same as Europe and everyone else's media will take this and show the US Government incapable (as most shows do).

Last edited:
Back