Barbecue along my Texas route

Jthamilton

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Okie182
My son and I are flying to McAllen Texas then driving a car back to Steamboat starting Friday.

Our route goes McAllen-San Antonio-Abilene-Lubbock -Amarillo -pueblo onward to steamboat.

My son is 10 and I would also like to swing by any old military airports that may be worth stopping at. More importantly I miss good barbecue since moving from Oklahoma to Steamboat. We frequently flew to Kansas City and k81 for great barbecue. I would love to try some small town hole in walls barbecue shacks.

Thanks

Jon

The b-b-q joint in the tin metal building on the south side of the street close to ABI airport is a good place to stop.

My son and I are flying to McAllen Texas then driving a car back to Steamboat starting Friday.

Our route goes McAllen-San Antonio-Abilene-Lubbock -Amarillo -pueblo onward to steamboat.

My son is 10 and I would also like to swing by any old military airports that may be worth stopping at. More importantly I miss good barbecue since moving from Oklahoma to Steamboat. We frequently flew to Kansas City and k81 for great barbecue. I would love to try some small town hole in walls barbecue shacks.

Thanks

Jon

If I was in Tejas Id meet y'all in San Antonio and fly y'all up to Coopers in Llano for some good BBQ.

Coopers is the only place I haven't eaten at yet! Lockhart, Muellers, Salt lick and original Rudy's have been sampled.

I will fly down to Coopers sometime this year for the $600 meal!

I'll second Coopers in Llano.

I flew 1150nm for some Coopers BBQ.

Llano-RV7-N155BK-22.jpg

Hey Jon,

I'm in San Antonio based at Boerne Stage Airport (5C1). If you're looking to spend the night in this neck of the woods, I have a nice hangar apartment you and your son are welcome to use.

Also, depending on your timing, I'd be happy to make the same offer as Dave to fly you guys to Llano for the Coopers experience!

Reply here or email me at tomrv4 at me dot com.

Tom

Thanks

Jon

hard8 in stephensville. coopers in llano. lockhart has two joints forgot name. elguin also has good bbq. muellers in taylor sucks.

Jon,
I forgot to mention the museum located at historic Stinson Airport in South San Antonio.

http://www.texasairmuseum.org/

It's a low key museum that has lots of interesting exhibits...

Tom

Hey Jon,

I'm in San Antonio based at Boerne Stage Airport (5C1). If you're looking to spend the night in this neck of the woods, I have a nice hangar apartment you and your son are welcome to use.

Also, depending on your timing, I'd be happy to make the same offer as Dave to fly you guys to Llano for the Coopers experience!

Tom

Jon,
I forgot to mention the museum located at historic Stinson Airport in South San Antonio.

http://www.texasairmuseum.org/

It's a low key museum that has lots of interesting exhibits...

Tom

Tom
Thanks so much for your hospitality! Joshua and I are going to try and get 7-8 hours of driving in before stopping except for food and that Museum which I would love to see. Thats the reason I am bringing him for the father son time for 2 guys who love flying. If I can get back to Steamboat mid day Sunday he can ski a little on the last day.

However if everything doesn't go as planned and we get out later I would gladly take you up on your offer. Can you PM me your phone number?

also Is it the same Cooper's family in Junction?

Jon

I'll second Coopers in Llano.

I flew 1150nm for some Coopers BBQ.

Llano-RV7-N155BK-22.jpg

What a GREAT picture!

Hey Jon,

Tom

5C1 is a very nice field; I went there on a recent trip to San Antonio for a conference, kicked myself for having gone to the big airport several times before.

And, what a kind and generous offer! :yes:

I have looked all around and our next trip to sea world I was heading that way. I still have to get my annual done and find place for aircraft here in Northern colorado. Im sure we may head that way this summer.

Gotta love the kinship of your fellow pilots! I would extend offer myself to anyone up our way! Good people, what else can you say! Also great example for me to tell my son which I most definitely will!

I'm another 5C1'er... and second the idea of heading this way. Burnet also has BBQ and some of the cheapest fuel around, but you might want to be careful in the Burnet / Llano area this weekend as there is an airshow TFR in effect.

Ryan

PM sent...

Tom
Thanks so much for your hospitality! Joshua and I are going to try and get 7-8 hours of driving in before stopping except for food and that Museum which I would love to see. Thats the reason I am bringing him for the father son time for 2 guys who love flying. If I can get back to Steamboat mid day Sunday he can ski a little on the last day.

However if everything doesn't go as planned and we get out later I would gladly take you up on your offer. Can you PM me your phone number?

Jon

I sure like Busbee's in Bandera if it's still around.

I think so, but it is not the best BBQ in Junction. I forget the name of the place, but stop at KJCT and ask the guy who runs the place and he'll tell you how to get to the better place downtown.

In SA, look for the Rusty Bucket.

Llano/coopers. Hands down. Not cheap, but some of the best brisket in texas.

Lots of BBQ places in Abeline. I remember one called Jo-Allen's, not sure if it's still open.
Great BbQ with all the trimmings, great Rib eye steaks, you tell them how thick, how to cook, med rare, they weigh it and you paid by the pound.

I think so, but it is not the best BBQ in Junction. I forget the name of the place, but stop at KJCT and ask the guy who runs the place and he'll tell you how to get to the better place downtown.

In SA, look for the Rusty Bucket.

Tom

Jon

Actually the Junction Coopers is not affiliated with the ones in Llano, Ft Worth and New Braunfels (the last three being operated by the same family)

Junction comes nowhere close to the others for BBQ! IMO...

Tom

The National WASP WWII Museum is located at Avenger Field in Sweetwater, not too far out of your way between Abilene and Lubbock.

I sure like Busbee's in Bandera if it's still around.

I live in Bandera, the self-proclaimed "Cowboy Capitol of the World." Busbee's is still in business and good. Unfortunately it's about 30 miles to either Kerrville or Boerne or Hondo airports.

Last edited:
Back