Banner Towing revisited

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
I think a private pilot can spray his own crops. I think a private pilot can tow gliders as well.

Last edited:
He still needs a waiver from the FAA and I don't think they'll issue one to a private pilot.

I was just thinking of this today. Why couldn't I pull a banner for my candidate next election. No compensation no foul.
I was shocked to learn that a private pilot can be compensted for flying a political candidate around.

Last edited:
I think a private pilot can spray his own crops. I think a private pilot can tow gliders as well.

You have to get a few hours of instruction with a glider pilot and some number of supervised glider tows and an endorsement from an endorsed glider pilot...but I don't remember the numbers.

You have to get a few hours of instruction with a glider pilot and some number of supervised glider tows and an endorsement from an endorsed glider pilot...but I don't remember the numbers.

61.69 governs...need at least three supervised tows and the endorsement, as well as 100 hours PIC in category and class.

I think the glider club I was in required ten dual tows. On a busy spring Saturday that's barely a morning's worth of flying!

Hours with a glider CFI are not specified, only the material and knowledge to be covered.

Minimum number of supervised or simulated tows with an experienced tow qualified pilot are specified.

Two endorsements required, one from the glider CFI, one from the experienced tow pilot, both in 61.69.

This is one endorsement that a private pilot qualified tow pilot can give another pilot. It does not have to come from a CFI Airplane qualified pilot.

Minimum supervised tows above the requirements of 61.69 are club or insurance driven. Not FAR driven. Our insurance required the first 3 solo tows in the Pawnee required a CFI-G in the glider. We use those flights as part of the tow pilot qualification by completing box of wake, slack lines, and demonstrate tow line limit effects (how far the glider can go before he exceeds the capability of the tow plane to counter) to the new tow pilot.

Back