Banned Medications?

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I am not an AOPA member, and it seems AOPA has done the honorable thing and blocked access to the medication list unless you're a member :rolleyes:

Is there another place I can see this list?

Or does anyone know if the following medications are allowed, or what the timeframe is for them:

Tetracycline
Metronidazole
Omeprazole
Bismuth Subsalicylate

Bonus points to anyone that can tell me why I'm taking all these medications for the next month :D

I am not an AOPA member, and it seems AOPA has done the honorable thing and blocked access to the medication list unless you're a member :rolleyes:
Now don't go dinging them because they used member dollars to put together that list and then required you to be a member to access it!:nono: If the FAA provided it, you would have helped pay for it and it would be on the FAA website. Go yell at the FAA for not making it available!

Nope - no ulcer, and sure, gastric, but this is more specific.

Hint - I got it in Italy when I was a kid and didn't heed health warnings....

Thanks for the info Scott....so am I grounded until I provide this report?

edit: Hint2: Its not GERD, but I get acid reflux from anything that enters my body, including water....

Set up a live cam feed, so we can watch the chestburster from Alien(s) explode out and drink down one of your Dr Peppers. :D

so you snorted some milk and it destroyed your sinuses?

LOL!!! If only :D

Hint 3: I had been diagnosed with this infection once before, lost the prescriptions and couldn't remember what it was called. Many, many doctors since then didn't know what I was talking about when I described it, until the most recent....who had my blood tested...and sure enough, I had it!

_. _ _ _ _ _ _

Helicobacter Pylori?

They are antibiotics and PPI. Shouldn't be a problem but let's wait for Dr. Bruce.

That's the stuff. Gil's the winner....

I'm actually proud to say I have H. Pylori, because finally, after like 20 years (no exaggeration), I will finally be able to not carry a roll of Rolaids with me at all times.

Thank God.

I'm actually proud to say I have H. Pylori, because finally, after like 20 years (no exaggeration), I will finally be able to not carry a roll of Rolaids with me at all times.

Thank God.
You'll get better, but I wouldn't throw the Rolaids away. It can recur. Did you get the H. Pylori Stool Antigen test before the start of treatment? If not, you should. This is a good way of monitoring response to treatment and instances of recurrence besides the cumbersome breath test. The blood test will be positive for life and doesn't mean anything anymore.

Thank God.

You'll get better, but I wouldn't throw the Rolaids away. It can recur. Did you get the H. Pylori Stool Antigen test before the start of treatment? If not, you should. This is a good way of monitoring response to treatment and instances of recurrence besides the cumbersome breath test. The blood test will be positive for life and doesn't mean anything anymore.
I'm not sure I'd consider a breath test cumbersome when the alternative is a stool test!

And Nick, make sure the doc okays you taking Rolaids while taking those antibiotics. I seem to recall seeing something about OTC antacids interfering with their absorption or efficacy!

I seem to recall seeing something about OTC antacids interfering with their absorption or efficacy!
True, particularly the tretracycline. Don't drink milk or use rolaids or any antiacid within two hours of taking the medications and don't take the medication within two hours of consuming milk, rolaids or any antiacid.

C'mon Grant, put a little bit of poop in a container and drop it in the lab vs. appointment, setting up the equipment, etc. :rolleyes: :D

Now don't go dinging them because they used member dollars to put together that list and then required you to be a member to access it!:nono: If the FAA provided it, you would have helped pay for it and it would be on the FAA website. Go yell at the FAA for not making it available!

The FAA's Doctor Silberman tells you there is no list and then links you to the AOPA list.

Nope, no poop test. I guess I will have nothing to compare to :(

EXCEPT!!!! If I don't have heartburn anymore, I don't really care about anything else :D :D

Seriously, having acid reflux from water sucks.

True, particularly the tretracycline. Don't drink milk or use rolaids or any antiacid within two hours of taking the medications and don't take the medication within two hours of consuming milk, rolaids or any antiacid.

Hmm...I was instructed to take the Omeprazole with the other medicines once daily (the others are all thrice daily). Should I stagger it with the rest?

Also don't forget to moderate you exposure to sun while on the Tetracycline.

And BTW Gil is a ringer!:D

Hmm...I was instructed to take the Omeprazole with the other medicines once daily (the others are all thrice daily). Should I stagger it with the rest?
No, no, follow that schedule. Omeprazole once a day, the antibiotics: tetracycline and metronidazole, and the pepto-bismol three or four times a day.

Nope, no poop test. I guess I will have nothing to compare to...
That's weird! Did you get an upper endoscopy with biopsies of the stomach and duodenum? or Was the diagnosis based only on a serum (blood) H. Pylori Antibody?

If you want to continue this public discussion, I don't have a problem but you can PM me if you prefer.

No, no, follow that schedule. Omeprazole once a day, the antibiotics: tetracycline and metronidazole, and the pepto-bismol three or four times a day.

That's weird! Did you get an upper endoscopy with biopsies of the stomach and duodenum? or Was the diagnosis based only on a serum (blood) H. Pylori Antibody?

If you want to continue this public discussion, I don't have a problem but you can PM me if you prefer.

This was slightly unique....I'll tell the whole story....

7 years ago or so, I was in New Hampshire, and decided to get checked for ulcers. They did some fun stuff, barium swallow, this weird pop rock stuff that made me feel like burping but I was not allowed, etc. Doctor determined that I had a problem with H. Pylori and prescribed a bunch of medicine. No ulcers.

I moved back to NM a bit later, and lost the prescriptions and had no way to get back in touch with my old doctor, so I figured I'd just ask another doctor here.

Doctor here told me he'd never heard of a bacteria that causes these problems, and gave me Tagament or something. A bit later, I went to a different doctor that said the same thing.

Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago, when I had some personal issues and weakness and decided it was time to get checked for Diabetes, which I have in my family. While there, I mentioned it again, full story to my new doctor who said "You mean H. Pylori? Yeah, that's fairly common, while we're testing your blood for the other stuff, we'll look for that as well."

Positive test, prescriptions called in, blam! I'm now fixing a problem I've had for about 20 years.

BTW, I'm not diabetic, I have a slight bit of Vitamin D deficiency, and some low sodium content. Easy fixes. Thank god.

This was slightly unique....I'll tell the whole story....

7 years ago or so, I was in New Hampshire, and decided to get checked for ulcers. They did some fun stuff, barium swallow, this weird pop rock stuff that made me feel like burping but I was not allowed, etc. Doctor determined that I had a problem with H. Pylori and prescribed a bunch of medicine. No ulcers.

I moved back to NM a bit later, and lost the prescriptions and had no way to get back in touch with my old doctor, so I figured I'd just ask another doctor here.

Doctor here told me he'd never heard of a bacteria that causes these problems, and gave me Tagament or something. A bit later, I went to a different doctor that said the same thing.

Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago, when I had some personal issues and weakness and decided it was time to get checked for Diabetes, which I have in my family. While there, I mentioned it again, full story to my new doctor who said "You mean H. Pylori? Yeah, that's fairly common, while we're testing your blood for the other stuff, we'll look for that as well."

Positive test, prescriptions called in, blam! I'm now fixing a problem I've had for about 20 years.

BTW, I'm not diabetic, I have a slight bit of Vitamin D deficiency, and some low sodium content. Easy fixes. Thank god.

The H. Pylori story is fascinating. Not long ago, an M.D. in Australia first presented a paper saying a common bug was THE cause of ulcers and was greeted like he said bloodletting really worked. He noticed that he found H. Pylori in every ulcer patient.

A few years pass and then a few doctors and I guess the AMA, tried the antibiotics and what d'ya know?... I guess there still a lot of doctors who haven't gotten the word or are still thinking it quacks. :rolleyes:

This does not BTW, mean that every "it's only that the drug companies don't want you know!" deal isn't quackery.

I don't want to criticize here but you're describing a very superficial evaluation for H. Pylori. From what was done, you can only say that at some point in your life you were infected with H. Pylori. You and the other 50% or more of the adult US population. That test does not prove that you currently have H. Pylori infection. You may have the damaging effect of the H. Pylori on the gastric and duodenal surface. I suggest you ask your doctor for more definitive test or to get a consult with a gastroenterologist. H. Pylori is relatively easy to diagnose and treat. But, if you are infected, and were partially treated, and a 20 year history of symptoms attest to that, you can run into a problem with a resistant H. Pylori. This organism can develop resistance to antibiotics relatively easy. That's why we treat with 2 or 3 antibiotics at a time. Be cautious.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back