Bank robbers attempt to steal plane!

Rudy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rudy
It just came on our local fox station, they had a bank robbery in Kansas City and the robbers drove to the airport and tried to steal a plane from an instructor and a student doing run-ups, th police where on there tail and got to them before they got into the plane with the money.
Probably another black-eye for GA! Stupid people!hah

Here's one version of the story: Suspected Bank Robber Shot at Kan. Airport (from Yahoo news, no subscription required)

Yahoo News said:
The man had taken about six hostages to the Johnson County Executive Airport in a minivan and may have been trying to get away on a plane, police said. The minivan drove onto the runway and pulled up next to a small plane, Butaud said. He didn't know if anyone on the plane was involved.

This is my home airport - I'm scheduled for a training flight this afternoon, but the airport is currently 'down'. Apparently some scheduled flights are being allowed in/out, but for the most part, everybody else is still grounded.

Our local traffic reporter is also based at this airport and got it all on camera.

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/news/4502589/detail.html

Last edited:
Nice airport Matthew. I used to get maintenance done on my Archer at KC Aviation when I lived in St. Louis. Hope you get to make up your lesson soon!

Yeah, we were watching this unfold on TV while it was happening. Bizzare. I wonder what the robber thought he was going to do if he had gotten into the plane and taken off, it's not like they could not track him down in the air. One reporter asked a cop during an interview if the airplane had a flight plan!

David - KC Aviation is the FBO I fly out of, good people. The action all happed at the 'other' FBO, right across the runway.

Well, it's started. Another local reporter began asking, "How can airport security be so lax as to allow somebody to drive right up and steal a plane?"

Huh, maybe someone should point out the additional 9mm dia. holes in the guys' anatomy?

Matthew said:
Well, it's started. Another local reporter began asking, "How can airport security be so lax as to allow somebody to drive right up and steal a plane?"

Huh, maybe someone should point out the additional 9mm dia. holes in the guys' anatomy?

I'd call the reporter and invite them to try it themselves. Then tell airport security you got word a reporter was going to try to break into the airport. (Actually, they should be on the lookout for such stunts for the next few months.) My small GA home field is wired to the hilt with cameras and has a full-time police substation in the terminal building. I'm pretty confident in what the result would be here.

Jeff

Jeff Oslick said:
I'd call the reporter and invite them to try it themselves. Then tell airport security you got word a reporter was going to try to break into the airport. (Actually, they should be on the lookout for such stunts for the next few months.) My small GA home field is wired to the hilt with cameras and has a full-time police substation in the terminal building. I'm pretty confident in what the result would be here.

Jeff

My all time favorite airport doesn't have a police substation. It's got a lot of people with guns around though... and not nearly the scruples about using them that cops have!!

Joe Williams said:
My all time favorite airport doesn't have a police substation. It's got a lot of people with guns around though... and not nearly the scruples about using them that cops have!!

Joe,

This is LA, haven't you been reading the papers? The cops here are pretty good at emptying a gun. http://cbs2.com/localnews/localnewsla_story_133184743.html
(Ok, Fullerton cops are probably a bit less trigger prone).

Frankly, I think if you start a car chase with cops, you're taking responsibility for whatever transpires.

Jeff

Jeff Oslick said:
Joe,

This is LA, haven't you been reading the papers? The cops here are pretty good at emptying a gun. http://cbs2.com/localnews/localnewsla_story_133184743.html
(Ok, Fullerton cops are probably a bit less trigger prone).

Frankly, I think if you start a car chase with cops, you're taking responsibility for whatever transpires.

Jeff

LOL I meant cops might try to get someone to stop messing with the planes and arrest them. The folks at the airport I have in mind are more likely just to shoot someone they think is a bad guy.

Joe Williams said:
LOL I meant cops might try to get someone to stop messing with the planes and arrest them. The folks at the airport I have in mind are more likely just to shoot someone they think is a bad guy.

Only let 'em shoot if they've got good aim and there's no airplane behind the perp. I don't want 9mm holes in my 182. I don't think the bladder tanks are self-sealing either.

Jeff

Jeff Oslick said:
Only let 'em shoot if they've got good aim and there's no airplane behind the perp. I don't want 9mm holes in my 182. I don't think the bladder tanks are self-sealing either.

Jeff

Shoot low, below the knees. This will take them down to the ground so the next shots will be into the ground through the perp, not the plane. LOL.

Dustin said:
Shoot low, below the knees. This will take them down to the ground so the next shots will be into the ground through the perp, not the plane. LOL.

Heck no!! Don't you know how much landing gear wheel fairings cost! :rofl:

The report said the suspect had a pilot's license but they're not sure if he was trying to steal the plane. Isn't that typical media work?

No, he wasn't trying to steal the plane. He heard a miss on the left mag and was trying to alert the pilots. Who trains these reporters anyway?

tom. said:
The report said the suspect had a pilot's license but they're not sure if he was trying to steal the plane. Isn't that typical media work?

No, he wasn't trying to steal the plane. He heard a miss on the left mag and was trying to alert the pilots. Who trains these reporters anyway?

LOL. He was just being a good citizen, helping those poor pilots!

Jeff Oslick said:
Heck no!! Don't you know how much landing gear wheel fairings cost! :rofl:

Quite a bit. You have a good point. Poor innocent plane in the wrong place.

It would have been interesting if they actually got airborne. I wonder if they would have landed at an airport or in a field somewhere.

Or maybe they could have parachuted out (hey it worked for DB cooper).

Matthew said:
The link has the dashboard video from one of the police cars at the airport. The DA has cleared the officers, they have returned to duty.

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/news/4530217/detail.html

It's still unclear whether the attempted hijacking was part of the master plan or a spur of the moment decision.

Looks like good police work to me. Good thinking on the part of the instructor to shut down, too. They didn't have much time to think about what they were doing. Wonder if the poor pilots needed new drawers? :D

Matthew said:
The link has the dashboard video from one of the police cars at the airport. The DA has cleared the officers, they have returned to duty.

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/news/4530217/detail.html

It's still unclear whether the attempted hijacking was part of the master plan or a spur of the moment decision.

Surely it was a spur of the moment decision, they could not plan on the plane being there at the exact moment that they needed it. ????Right???

Back