Band Brat

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Anyone around here a band brat, brass player, or classical/jazz amateur or pro musician? If so, I have a video for you. You need a bit of a background, but it will make you cry with laughter if you have a couple of years, at least!

Casual french horn player here. Not exactly a jazz instrument, but close enough? Haha

If it's got 3 valves (4 on the Piccolo Trumpet) I played it somewhere between 5th grade and 12th. Loaded tuba cases with beer and ice for festivals. :)

Wow, OK three responses in less than 20 minutes.

I'm just going to post the link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Z-BQitMuc

It amazes me that there were a few people who thought this was real!

Almost everything he says is incorrect--he even gets his own NAME wrong--but oh so funny!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Holy crap thanks for that! Spit valve for the wisper key, I love that; kid next door is learning to play (he sounds about 3 years in), maybe I'll show him this video...:lol:

The guy reminds me of our old band director, Mr Crouther, another trumpet player.

BTW, I missed the almost, what did he not get wrong? He even got the fingering wrong...:rofl:

Me! Pro at one time (big band, pit orchestra, etc)

Heh - my daughter is a section leader in her college marching band. I just sent her the link. I'm sure the trumpet section will spray a few beers watching it.

(I did notice the typo in the poster above his desk.)

Ok, since he was representing music education at the community college level, I though I'd post one of my favorite Sesame Street level music instructors. ;)

I was adjudicated by him once, I didn't know he was one of the judges at this festival, the song was Chameleon, I played part of it on piccolo trumpet...:mad2: FMD what was Chuckie thinking with that in front of him...

He used to play our school too, he and Chuckie (our director) were buddies from college.

ROFL! There were a couple of good belly laughs in there.

Low brass here. Baritone horn. Had to march with a dang concert Baritone too. Thumb still hurts thinking about it.

Where's Kent? He will cry laughing.

The director holding his hand up shot -- was perfect.

Anyone else notice the misspelling on the sign on the wall behind him? LOL!

Ancient Music History:

I was a vocal guy sucked into band stuff. There's never enough low brass. Everybody wants to play trumpets. ;) A marching band with a big fat low brass section is an awesome spectacle to behold, however. God bless Sousa.

Pointing a monster low brass section's bells right at the judge's box for a fortissimo blast is fun.

"Flatten the box, low brass. We picked this score for you guys and gals right here. Set that line and then blast 'em, I want the judges to feel it in their butts."

We took first place. ;)

Later in my misguided youth, I spent one semester at Univ. of Northern Colorado studying vocal jazz. Got a few minor awards, had fun. I scatted my way through Autumn Leaves once... the second verse just completely dropped out of my head on stage. Oh well, improvise. It's Jazz!

Standing O at the club. Wasn't expecting that. Ha. It was a graded performance too! Sweet! The absolutely masterful Professor, Skip Wilkins (his real name, and what a great name for a jazz man!) followed perfectly on the piano in his signature British racing cap. One of those magical, and completely accidental stage moments. He got a high-five for that one.

While there, in another fit of unintelligence, I was a roommate of a Tuba player I knew from high school, and when required to pick a string instrument, I picked Double Bass.

Between the two of us storing instruments in the dorm room and lugging them around for practice, I'm surprised someone didn't give themselves a hernia.

Musical Friends:

Have another aviation friend (who is where I learned the term "Blue bellied money sucker" in reference to his Skyhawk he owned many years ago) who plays in a Civil War re-enactment regimental band and a bunch of others here in Denver.

"Mo" Molberg spends most of every Memorial Day playing Taps... Properly. On a bugle, not a danged valved instrument. And that second note isn't meant to be a damned quarter note! The first two notes are equal in duration, as written. I get cranky when I hear a bugler screwing that up.

He usually plays those gigs on a bugle that saw action in the Civil War. He has a neat collection. His dad plays also.

http://4thartillerybrassband.com/

He also built his own pipe organ in his folk's house for his mom. It comes up through the floor into a main floor spare bedroom from the basement. Awesome sound, a real pipe organ in your house!

Oddly, a few years ago I met *another* guy who did that. Ham Radio guy. Doc's Rob's house is in Evergreen, CO up in the mountains, so he could make all the noise he wanted. He also had his own observatory, and was a RC aviation nut and had a bunch of awards flying them.

And for the very odd trifecta of "how many organ grinders can there be in my life", my former church organist was the live organ player for the Colorado Rockies, back when they wanted Coors Field to have that "old fashioned ball park feel". Chuck Shockney has more fun playing an organ than anyone I've ever seen. (His wife also plays and is amazing.)

I've never forgiven the Rockies for going to digital recordings over a decade ago. Chuck and his wife played at our wedding. I miss goading Chuck to play hockey music on the church organ. ;) After the recessional at our rehearsal, he broke out into playing the beginning of "Charge!" that you hear at every baseball game. We were all in tears, laughing.

Chuck now lives in Carmel, Indiana. Stop by and ask him to play some old time baseball stadium music sometime when church isn't in session if you're in the neighborhood. He's really really good.

http://www.carmelumc.org/index.php/about-us/meet-the-staff/93

So, I'm a vocal/low brass guy surrounded by a lifetime of aviation brass players, organ players and builders. Very odd.

Here at home:

Karen is a vocalist still... whereas I save it nowadays for the car or the shower...

She's in Sweet Adeline's and their chorus consistently places in the top three at Internationals. The competition is here in Denver this year, and the girls are pushing for a win. Many competitors are leery of singing at altitude, which is where these folks sing all the time.

http://www.skylinechorus.net/

And her Quartet, Deja Vu...

http://www.rmr8.org/quartets.html

She gave up on goading me to join these guys... But I love to hear them perform! Ten straight first place finishes in the Rocky Mountain Region...

http://www.soundoftherockies.com/

Their rendition of America the Beautiful through the headphones while looking at Pikes Peak from the Skylane, is about one of the best VFR flights imaginable.

And dad's a trumpet player... but rarely plays. We both play a little guitar once in a while, too. I have his original Yamaha guitar from Japan. It's got a lot of miles on it.

Enjoyed the read and links!

ROFL! There were a couple of good belly laughs in there.

Low brass here. Baritone horn. Had to march with a dang concert Baritone too. Thumb still hurts thinking about it.

Where's Kent? He will cry laughing.

The director holding his hand up shot -- was perfect.

Anyone else notice the misspelling on the sign on the wall behind him? LOL!

Ancient Music History:

I was a vocal guy sucked into band stuff. There's never enough low brass. Everybody wants to play trumpets. ;) A marching band with a big fat low brass section is an awesome spectacle to behold, however. God bless Sousa.

Pointing a monster low brass section's bells right at the judge's box for a fortissimo blast is fun.

"Flatten the box, low brass. We picked this score for you guys and gals right here. Set that line and then blast 'em, I want the judges to feel it in their butts."

We took first place. ;)

Later in my misguided youth, I spent one semester at Univ. of Northern Colorado studying vocal jazz. Got a few minor awards, had fun. I scatted my way through Autumn Leaves once... the second verse just completely dropped out of my head on stage. Oh well, improvise. It's Jazz!

Standing O at the club. Wasn't expecting that. Ha. It was a graded performance too! Sweet! The absolutely masterful Professor, Skip Wilkins (his real name, and what a great name for a jazz man!) followed perfectly on the piano in his signature British racing cap. One of those magical, and completely accidental stage moments. He got a high-five for that one.

While there, in another fit of unintelligence, I was a roommate of a Tuba player I knew from high school, and when required to pick a string instrument, I picked Double Bass.

Between the two of us storing instruments in the dorm room and lugging them around for practice, I'm surprised someone didn't give themselves a hernia.

Musical Friends:

Have another aviation friend (who is where I learned the term "Blue bellied money sucker" in reference to his Skyhawk he owned many years ago) who plays in a Civil War re-enactment regimental band and a bunch of others here in Denver.

"Mo" Molberg spends most of every Memorial Day playing Taps... Properly. On a bugle, not a danged valved instrument. And that second note isn't meant to be a damned quarter note! The first two notes are equal in duration, as written. I get cranky when I hear a bugler screwing that up.

He usually plays those gigs on a bugle that saw action in the Civil War. He has a neat collection. His dad plays also.

http://4thartillerybrassband.com/

He also built his own pipe organ in his folk's house for his mom. It comes up through the floor into a main floor spare bedroom from the basement. Awesome sound, a real pipe organ in your house!

Oddly, a few years ago I met *another* guy who did that. Ham Radio guy. Doc's Rob's house is in Evergreen, CO up in the mountains, so he could make all the noise he wanted. He also had his own observatory, and was a RC aviation nut and had a bunch of awards flying them.

And for the very odd trifecta of "how many organ grinders can there be in my life", my former church organist was the live organ player for the Colorado Rockies, back when they wanted Coors Field to have that "old fashioned ball park feel". Chuck Shockney has more fun playing an organ than anyone I've ever seen. (His wife also plays and is amazing.)

I've never forgiven the Rockies for going to digital recordings over a decade ago. Chuck and his wife played at our wedding. I miss goading Chuck to play hockey music on the church organ. ;) After the recessional at our rehearsal, he broke out into playing the beginning of "Charge!" that you hear at every baseball game. We were all in tears, laughing.

Chuck now lives in Carmel, Indiana. Stop by and ask him to play some old time baseball stadium music sometime when church isn't in session if you're in the neighborhood. He's really really good.

http://www.carmelumc.org/index.php/about-us/meet-the-staff/93

So, I'm a vocal/low brass guy surrounded by a lifetime of aviation brass players, organ players and builders. Very odd.

Here at home:

Karen is a vocalist still... whereas I save it nowadays for the car or the shower...

She's in Sweet Adeline's and their chorus consistently places in the top three at Internationals. The competition is here in Denver this year, and the girls are pushing for a win. Many competitors are leery of singing at altitude, which is where these folks sing all the time.

http://www.skylinechorus.net/

And her Quartet, Deja Vu...

http://www.rmr8.org/quartets.html

She gave up on goading me to join these guys... But I love to hear them perform! Ten straight first place finishes in the Rocky Mountain Region...

http://www.soundoftherockies.com/

Their rendition of America the Beautiful through the headphones while looking at Pikes Peak from the Skylane, is about one of the best VFR flights imaginable.

And dad's a trumpet player... but rarely plays. We both play a little guitar once in a while, too. I have his original Yamaha guitar from Japan. It's got a lot of miles on it.

I HAVEN'T played in twice that long (okay, a few times here and there, I don't own a horn anymore); dang... feeling old...:sad::lol:

I bet if you took a few days to redevelop your embouchure you'd pick right back up on it. Got a mouthpiece?

A friend of mine posted that link a few weeks ago. Pretty funny stuff. I've been playing trumpet for 11 years, evenly split between concert band, marching band, and jazz. I enjoy the marching band/pep band and jazz stuff the best.

The whisper key is amazing! Such a marvel invention.

I bet if you took a few days to redevelop your embouchure you'd pick right back up on it. Got a mouthpiece?

I keep my embouchure in shape on a different type of mouthpiece...;):rofl:
Trumpet players are a girls best friend.:D

It's kinda funny, the few times I have picked up a horn it didn't take but a few minutes to get my chops back, but 20+ years of neglect has buried my sight reading skills way into the depths of my brain into places I can't seem to find.:lol:

Last edited:
I keep my embouchure in shape on a different type of mouthpiece...;):rofl:
Trumpet players are a girls best friend.:D

It's kinda funny, the few times I have picked up a horn it didn't take but a few minutes to get my chops back, but 20+ years of neglect has buried my sight reading skills way into the depths of my brain into places I can't seem to find.:lol:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have a shirt that has a picture of a cornet and says "BLOW THIS". Haven't seen it in a while, need to find that.

That was great. It's been more than 35 years since I touched a trumpet. I do actually still have a mouth piece around somewhere. Played trumpet from 5th grade on through high school, excepting one year on the French horn. After high school spent a little time with a soprano bugle with a small corps in the Chicago area and the Air Force at Shepard AFB in Wichita Falls.

Doc is probably still my favorite http://www.docseverinsen.com/

I thought there was a space missing in the post title...expected to see a post about beer and brats...

Back