Balun for the vor antenna?

Wagondriver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
375Taylor
I have an ancient vor antenna on my vertical, but I’d rather not replace it because I have it already, and it is a very clean installation. It has a balun cable attached to it that ends at the fuselage, but it is realistically probably 50 years old. I’d prefer to install a new cable, one because it is new, and second because a new cable would run all the way to the splitter, eliminating one connection.
Having a connection at the fuselage makes sense if I ever need to take the vertical off again, but that’s not real likely. I’m assuming that the quality of coax is better now than 50,years ago.
Spruce sells a balun cable for the Rami antennas. Why would it matter who’s antenna it is, as I understand it, the balun is determined by the radio frequency, so a vor and glide slope balun is the same for all vor antennas?
Am I out in left field?

First, a balun is a matching transformer ...balun means balanced to unbalanced. It has nothing to do with frequency in your case. The construction can be either a coaxial balun or a coil type. The purpose is to match your coax, which is unbalanced, to the vor antenna, which was designed to be balanced. If it were mine, I would leave it alone unless you see obvious damage to the coax cable. If it works....:).

Back