Balloons to space and FAA regs???

BiffJ

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BiffJ
After watching the video of the totally wacked Swiss paragliding skiiers (very cool) I ran across the video of the father and son who launched a weather balloon with the I-phone and camera to 100,000 + feet and had a few comments and questions. Here is a link to the video for those who haven't seen it.

http://www.wimp.com/weatherballoon/

First I'd like to say that I think this is a fantastic way for parents and kids to learn real world useful info. It shows great initiative and excellent basic science that can launch a kid into the world of wonder electronics has become. I wish we had stuff like this when I was a kid....we had to use simple geometry to figure out how high our Estes rockets went. The whole crew seems to be pretty switched on and I'd like to applaud their effort.
It also brings up a few questions about regs broken and NORAD phone calls etc. Do you have to notify DoD or anyone when launching something like this? 60 kilofeet is the edge of the air defense zone isn't it? I know the FAA is already overwhelmed with fear from those nasty RC flyers so what would this do to the blood pressure of the average FAA regulator? Isn't there some reg covering this sort of thing?
I sincerely hope the guys who did the experiment don't have any jack booted thugs bringing them grief but whats going to happen when the copycats start doing free experimentation with similar "vehicles" and "spacecraft"? I can see elementary schools all over the US getting mobbed by swat teams and black helicopters.....where will it end?

Frank

Wow,
according to those regs the guys will be in the slammer for the next 40 years. They broke all of those regs...

Frank

(a) This part prescribes rules governing the operation in the United States, of the following:
(4) Except as provided for in §101.7, any unmanned free balloon that—
(i) Carries a payload package that weighs more than four pounds and has a weight/size ratio of more than three ounces per square inch on any surface of the package, determined by dividing the total weight in ounces of the payload package by the area in square inches of its smallest surface;
(ii) Carries a payload package that weighs more than six pounds;
(iii) Carries a payload, of two or more packages, that weighs more than 12 pounds; or
(iv) Uses a rope or other device for suspension of the payload that requires an impact force of more than 50 pounds to separate the suspended payload from the balloon.

so unless he has a 4 lb iphone he broke no rules as the rules do not apply

missed that part.....maybe I need to learn to read too....

Thanks for posting that part.

Frank

Back