Ballooning in Iowa

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Well not quite as cool as Ballooning in Tuscany, but...

This morning I read Rick Durdens new article on Avweb about ballooning, I thought it sounded pretty cool.

Then on my way back from a students lesson tonight I saw a hot air balloon floating around on the north side of town. With nothing to do for the evening, I started following it. Eventually I ran into the legitimate chase crew and followed them. It ended up landing in an orchard and I (and several others) helped derig it and put it in the bag and on the trailer. Got to witness the champagne drinking ceremony, the passengers had a great time. Then off to dinner with balloon people, lots of fun and great conversation.

Of course, I did not have my digital camera.

The pilot, Susan Stamats, has been flying balloons over 20 years and has over 1600 hours, quite a few considering her longest flight is 3 hours. I found it a ton of fun and volunteered to do more crewing for them if they need someone.

www.buzzardsgloryballoons.com

You should head down to Indianola in ?August? for the annual Balloon Festival they have. People bring balloons in from all over the midwest. The crop duster I worked for had a private strip about 5-10 miles from their launch point. When we would get back to the strip in the evening we would see as many and 20 or 30 balloons in the air. Pretty cool sight - until they start trying to use our private strip to land WITHOUT PERMISSION as we have cropduster planes trying to land with nothing more than fumes in the fuel tank. grrrr.. Needless to say, my boss wasn't very fond of the balloon people. ;) But, just like any group of people, not all of them are inconsiderate idiots. :)

-Chris

ya, ive been meaning to get down to indianola for a while. usually the crew can easily stay ahead of the balloon and will ask for permission to land in your field/yard/whatever beforehand.

Sounds awesome Tony. I used to be part of a chase crew and it was a blast. Sadly the pilot I crewed for didn't renew his insurance and has stopped ballooning as of March 2006.

tonycondon said:
I started following it. Eventually I ran into the legitimate chase crew and followed them. It ended up landing in an orchard and I (and several others) helped derig it and put it in the bag and on the trailer. Got to witness the champagne drinking ceremony, the passengers had a great time. Then off to dinner with balloon people, lots of fun and great conversation.
Tom and I crew for a good friend of ours. Bill has launched from our farm several times, and has taken several members of our family. Being part of the chase crew is a great experience.

Here are a few pictures from the farm.

Attachments

• Balloon at Twin Oaks.JPG
    Balloon at Twin Oaks.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Getting ready to launch.JPG
    Getting ready to launch.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Flames and the balloon.JPG
    Flames and the balloon.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 11
very cool diana, thanks! I love how humongous the flame is on those things, shooting up into all that fabric too!

my parents are going to the big Albuquerque balloon fest in October - I am so tempted to join them!

woodstock said:
my parents are going to the big Albuquerque balloon fest in October - I am so tempted to join them!
Do IT!

I used to live in Albuquerque and that was one of the highlights of the year. Several people in my department were ballooners and would go flying all the time. The Balloon fest is an incredible flight, especially when they have the mass take offs.

You can probably find a book all about it at Amazon, want to me to look for there for you??:D:redface::D

Last edited:
Amazon has a restraining order out against me. it's too late I'm afraid. I've raided their warehouses and pretty soon you won't be able to get any new books, yourself...

From the Ottumwa Pro Balloon Races exactly a year ago . . .

Attachments

• balloon 002.jpg
    balloon 002.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 5
  • balloon 008.jpg
    balloon 008.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 4
  • balloon 013.jpg
    balloon 013.jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 6
Back