Balloon Sinuplasty Medical

M

MasonCr2071

Hello everyone,
I am a commercial multi rated pilot currently working on my cfi. I go to a part 141 school and am graduating in December. I have experienced sinus pain over the past few months when flying and went to an ENT. He requested a CT scan of my sinuses and came to the conclusion that I have a narrow sinus passage on the right side which will need to be expanded to allow air to flow out of the sinuses upon descent. With the narrow passage, my sinus is not allowed to equalize pressure which creates extreme pain. He says that this will be a one and done deal, and after the passage is opened I should have no issues ever again. He also said that I have no signs of sinusitis. I was wondering if this will prevent me from keeping a first class medical. I don't think it should, since he did say one and done deal, but I am kind of stressing about it because my dream is to become an airline pilot. Any insight would be appreciated!

No medical advice.... but picturing the procedure has me experiencing a Vinny Barbarino Meme

upload_2022-3-22_20-13-40.gif

Hmmm. I know of one guy from my AF career who had a similar issue that came to light in the altitude chamber and was waivered in the AF system post-surgery. He was literally on the floor crying on the descent from 5K ft to sea level, which is where most problems are going to show up.

I’m curious if you can valsalva normally as is and whether you’ve flown commercially and had similar problems…rate of descent can be a factor, but that’s the extent of my knowledge.

The pertinent Guide for AMEs is available at the link but doesn’t really answer your question based on the info provided.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...m/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item27/amd/

@bbchien could give the best answer, but a call to a Sr AME for a CONSULT should also be able to generate an answer.

I've had sinus surgery for airway congestion and have permanent t-tubes in my ears for equalization. Rapid decent skydiving caused water blisters on my ear drums. No pain, just annoyance of everything sounding like I'm underwater for days or weeks at a time. My AME didn't bat an eye about it. My hearing is perfectly normal.

Check with your ENT as some of these are done in office and are considered pretty darn minor procedures ...

Hello everyone,
.... that I have a narrow sinus passage on the right side which will need to be expanded to allow air to flow out of the sinuses upon descent. With the narrow passage, my sinus is not allowed to equalize pressure which creates extreme pain. He says that this will be a one and done deal, and after the passage is opened I should have no issues ever again. HAny insight would be appreciated!

Check with your ENT as some of these are done in office and are considered pretty darn minor procedures ...

@bbchien thoughts on this? I know the FAA states that if you have chronic sinusitis you are denied , however, in my diagnosis my ENT clearly stated I have zero signs of sinusitis at all, let alone chronic sinusitis

FAA will simply require a status update to include some radiography. This should not be a roadblock.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back