Balloon Ride Over the Desert

flybill7

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bill
Neat! I can't believe I haven't tried that yet. Thanks for linking the pics, Bill.

I am part of a hot air balloon chase crew. Its a lot of fun, but lots of work. I still prefer fixed wing though. I will have to share some stories later.

HPNFlyGirl said:
I am part of a hot air balloon chase crew. Its a lot of fun, but lots of work. I still prefer fixed wing though. I will have to share some stories later.
My hat off to the ground crew! Here's a story:

Betty, my M-I-L is quite adventurous. White water rafting, glider rides, and now a balloon ride. For her 75th birthday we bought her a balloon ride. Flight cancelled twice because of wx now comes the big day. Early morning departure and all goes well. We followed the balloon for about 20 miles over hill and dale. Comes time to set down and surface winds are real gusty.

Bounce across scrub heading for a barb wire fence the pilot aborts the landing but takes out a couple fence posts with wire trailing. About 100 yards downwind they jerk to a stop to bounce and drag. The wire breaks and they're back in the air 'cept the basket is dragging at a 45* angle. Fence #2 up ahead, bounce over that fence but the wire from fence #1 snares the 2nd fence. Jerk to a stop and wire breaks loose. Basket now drags for about 50 yards as ballon comes to rest against an oak tree. The whole thing happens in slow motion and looked fairly benign except for the serious head knocking during the jerking and dragging.

No one serious hurt, they comp the flight. Betty decides right there she wants to fly again. Two weeks later she's floating 20 agl above the vineyards during crush in the early morning still air. A perfect flight this time.

"Flying Balloons"
...an oxymoronoid that teaches why we should use other aircraft, ANY other aircraft.

Last edited:
HPNFlyGirl said:
I am part of a hot air balloon chase crew. Its a lot of fun, but lots of work.
I was part of a chase crew a long time ago in Idaho. You have to be an (early) morning person. :yes:

Luckly for me Everskyward, we did mostly afternoon flights in NC.

Kinda hard to chase with an infant. I would babysit and let him (my nephew) sleep in his car seat while I helped with the inflation and launch. With people running back and fourth I figured he couldnt get hurt. Then during the chase I became the entertainer aka keep baby happy. Then baby number 2 came along. Then I was pretty much the babysitter during the entire crewing experience.

This was funny, everyone kept calling Pete (the pilot) on the radio, Pete were over here. Pete which way are you headed? etc etc etc....then when Kevin was old enough to talk he would say "Pete" and his mom would be like NO Kevin, thats daddy. NO, PETE!!!! Kids are funny sometimes. I was there for Kevins 1st balloon trip. I have to see if I can find pictures and post them on here.

Back