Balloon on Chicago lakefront route - maintain altitude

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Mebbe Duh Mare can use this in another attempt to close the airspace.

attachment.php

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1711995,CST-NWS-balloon12.article

Attachments

• 081209balloon2.jpeg
    081209balloon2.jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 260
Re: Chicago lakefront route - maintain altitude

Mebbe Duh Mare can use this in another attempt to close the airspace.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1711995,CST-NWS-balloon12.article

Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd), whose ward includes Navy Pier, said he's not sure the ride needs Plan Commission approval, but officials decided to err on the side of caution.
"My attitude has been, 'Let's see how the public reacts to this new ride.' And if there are cries of protest, we can re-evaluate this at the end of the season."

Cries of protest? Protesting what? A ride? I don't get it.

Or are they going to mount surveillance cameras on it?

In that case - "Moon the Balloon"...

http://www.theobserver.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1680060

"My attitude has been, 'Let's see how the public reacts to this new ride.' And if there are cries of protest, we can re-evaluate this at the end of the season."

Cries of protest? Protesting what? A ride? I don't get it.

Or are they going to mount surveillance cameras on it?

In that case - "Moon the Balloon"...
The lakefront elite are STILL screaming about Children's Memorial Hospital putting in a helipad for transporting dying kids.

Not mentioned any more is there was an actual airport there that a dozen hospitals all used.

They also wanted to kill of the move of the Children's Museum from Navy Pier further inland to Grant Park...unsaid, "It'll bring in more of those...."

35 stories is what, 350 feet? 400?

Yet another weak attempt by Chicago to prove it's as important as New York:

"See!? We have to worry about airplanes too!!"

:frown3:

Pathetic.

35 stories is what, 350 feet? 400?

Yea. That's my guess.

I'd be at 2700 MSL/ 1900 AGL which even gives the 1000 feet above. I wonder how far the balloon could drift.

I always avoided overflying the Pier anyway except when taking off from 36 at Meigs it was directly ahead. We were once specifically told to turn like 094 immediately out to the lake to avoid an event on the beach. That was uncomfortable.

Oh. I love the idea that strapping the passengers to the gondola makes it safe. That way if the envelope tears or it breaks loose they come down in one mass? :dunno:

Last edited:

We have - or had - a ride like this here in Baltimore at "Port Discovery". I seem to recall some brohaha when the cable broke in high winds (too high) and the baloon bumped into a neighboring building...or something like that. No fatalities, but I can't recall seeing the baloon in the air since.

Oh. I love the idea that strapping the passengers to the gondola makes it safe. That way if the envelope tears or it breaks loose they come down in one mass? :dunno:

Yes, it streamlines corpse recovery.

Crumple zones? Aluminum "safety cage"?:dunno:

Crumple zones? Aluminum "safety cage"?:dunno:

Let's hope the balloon has multiple cells, otherwise one wise guy with a rifle....

It is BTW, filled with helium so no Hindenberg replay.

Let's hope the balloon has multiple cells, otherwise one wise guy with a rifle....
So, this rifleman has only 1 bullet then....?:D

As a concerned citizen you must demand that they add a layer of Kevlar to reinforce the envelope. Plus airbags, flotation devices, & conduct an airline style safety presentation before each "takeoff". :yes:

So, this rifleman has only 1 bullet then....?:D

As a concerned citizen you must demand that they add a layer of Kevlar to reinforce the envelope. Plus airbags, flotation devices, & conduct an airline style safety presentation before each "takeoff". :yes:

Parachutes of course!

Think about it. Duh Mare had da guys wit da noses like dis bulldoze dat airport right dere at midnight ta pratect da citizens den he lets DIS happen!

99 Luftballons?

(Sorry, I'm on an '80s music kick tonight! :cornut: )

99 Luftballons?

(Sorry, I'm on an '80s music kick tonight! :cornut: )

Ha we can thank Migaldi for that!:yes:

I seem to recall the orignial video I thougth she was pretty hot then she raised her arms and exposed that euro pit hair ugh

Due to leaking helium. I would have thought that they would use hot air. There is no short supply of that in Chicago. :D
Aha- great idea!! A hot air pipeline, direct from City Hall to the lakefront... a nice make-work project for the "friends of", with tons of juicy kickbacks. And it would probably only take about 20 years to install.:D

Back