Balky desktop

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
Computer is a 3-month old Dell running XP Home Edition in my son's room. He was goofing around and turned off the security settings. The bottom line was rampant spyware and viruses. I finally got it cleaned off such that up-to-date McAffee finds no infected files. However, one glitch remains that may or may not be related.

The Display Properties -> Desktop window is inactive. The picture he selected a month ago appears briefly when the computer is shutting down, but at all other times the desktop background is slate blue. The Desktop window has all background selection options grayed and trying to select anything yields nothing, except the Customize Desktop menu works.

Suggestions?

Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327998/en-us

Some spyware disables the ability for you to change your desktop and uses the Active Desktop settings to route to ads, etc.. There is a policy that disables the ability for the user to change the settings. That link should help work around it.

Ken Ibold said:
Suggestions?
After you follow Brian's advice, use the User Manager from the Control Panel to ensure the following:
1) That only one account on the computer has administrative permissions
2) That nobody but you knows the password for that account
3) That your son has his own account with no administrator permissions
4) That every other family member, INCLUDING YOURSELF has their own account, without administrative permissions
5) That each account is password protected

Don't give anyone in your family, including yourself, the opportunity to inadvertantly disable security settings again - set up an admin account that only you can access, and DONT use it except for updating/installing software and fixing/setting up new security protections.

jangell said:

After years and years of home computers I finally had to take my first one into the shop because it was so screwed up I just couldn't fix it. Ten minutes to switch between accounts, 20 minutes to bring up the email application, cursor that never changes shape, etc. etc. etc.

Nope, it wasn't any of the old Dell's running various versions of Windows, it was the brand new iMac G5 running whatever POS operating system you guys love so much. I walked into the Apple service department and the first thing I see is the sign that says "Top ten reasons to buy an Apple..... 1) They just work." I guess that explains why it will take three days before they clear enough backlog to bench test mine.

When you let him back on this machine, make sure he is using an account that doesn't have ADMIN rights. :yes:

Ken Ibold said:
Computer is a 3-month old Dell running XP Home Edition in my son's room. He was goofing around and turned off the security settings. The bottom line was rampant spyware and viruses. I finally got it cleaned off such that up-to-date McAffee finds no infected files. However, one glitch remains that may or may not be related.

The Display Properties -> Desktop window is inactive. The picture he selected a month ago appears briefly when the computer is shutting down, but at all other times the desktop background is slate blue. The Desktop window has all background selection options grayed and trying to select anything yields nothing, except the Customize Desktop menu works.

Suggestions?

mgkdrgn said:
When you let him back on this machine, make sure he is using an account that doesn't have ADMIN rights. :yes:
I which case nothing will work and you will end up typing the admin password so often he'll know it better than you do.

A LOT of Windows software is poorly written and expects to have full rights to C:\.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Last edited:
mikea said:
I which case nothing will work and you will end up typing the admin password so often he'll know it better than you do.

A LOT of Windows software is poorly written and expects to have full rights to C:\.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
Much will work - admin rights aren't required for most of C drive access, and it will ensure that Ken knows whats going on with that computer.

You have a point, but in my experience, its not nearly as bad as you are making it out to be.

Back