Baja Flying Adventure - Pet a Whale - March 2014

CT4ME

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CT4ME
Last edited:
Just another reminder... it's only a couple months away... 'best flying time of the year... grow a set, and cross the Mexico trip off your bucket list!

Delete

Last edited:
Petting whales is illegal. ;)
It's very controlled. You have to buy a permit, wear a wrist-band, and the number of people and their time on the water is monitored by environmentalists and scholars studying the whales. At any given time, they can tell you how many whales there are, male/female/babies. Even how many barren moms. The panga drivers are not allowed to chase the whales. They position you near whales, or in the path that some might be traveling, and the rest is up to the whales. It's crazy to see the moms coaxing the babies towards the boats, then getting below them and pushing them right up to the side of the boats. They appear to really love the human contact. You are cautioned to not touch their blow holes or eyes. There is no baiting or feeding the whales as they do no eat while they are down in the Baja, but instead do that up north in the warmer months.

Last edited:
'Trip was a great success! 63 planes and about 180 people. No incidents that I know of. Most travelers reporting "petting" a whale. Wx was good, but most fliers faced 15-32 kt headwinds coming home.

For those looking to do their first Mexico Flying Adventure, there will be a good opportunity coming up May 2-4. The Baja Bush Pilots are sponsoring a quick weekend trip to San Felipe (MMSF).

Back