Bailing out...Hypothetical situation question

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
The recent Trever Jacob plane crash stunt situation makes me wonder...

What he did was wrong, acknowledging that. If I read the FAA's stance on this correctly, they say he could have landed the plane if the engine was really out instead of bailing out. I agree without being familiar with the area he was in.

My question is this: What if you decide you want to fly a 172 with a pilot's safety parachute and something goes horribly wrong and you feel you cannot glide to safety and bail out. Are they going to come after you to?

I realize its unusual to see pilots wear chutes in a 172 or similar plane, but no one says we can't. Just thinkin. When is it ok to bail out and when is it not? Hmm...

Please don't shoot the messenger here.

The recent Trever Jacob plane crash stunt situation makes me wonder...

What he did was wrong, acknowledging that. If I read the FAA's stance on this correctly, they say he could have landed the plane if the engine was really out instead of bailing out. I agree without being familiar with the area he was in.

My question is this: What if you decide you want to fly a 172 with a pilot's safety parachute and something goes horribly wrong and you feel you cannot glide to safety and bail out. Are they going to come after you to?

I realize its unusual to see pilots wear chutes in a 172 or similar plane, but no one says we can't. Just thinkin. When is it ok to bail out and when is it not? Hmm...

Please don't shoot the messenger here.
Not unless there are a dozen other things that you do including having 6 cameras running, one in your hand when you jump out.

I like to think that the FAA can distinguish between an actual emergency in which the pilot determined that the safest course of action was to hit the silk, and a transparent publicity stunt done strictly for the purpose of monetizing clicks on social media.

But I don't know.

I like to think that the FAA can distinguish between an actual emergency in which the pilot determined that the safest course of action was to hit the silk, and a transparent publicity stunt done strictly for the purpose of monetizing clicks on social media.

But I don't know.
I would hope so to.

If I read the FAA's stance on this correctly, they say he could have landed the plane if the engine was really out instead of bailing out.
I don't think you read it correctly.

I think the FAA concluded Jacob deliberately crashed a plane. The fact that he made no attempt to land after the "engine out" is evidence to support that conclusion.

Pilots wear parachutes every day. The FARs even require it under some circumstances.

Yes, if by "something goes horribly wrong" you mean that you intentionally planned to stage an emergency, intentionally making the aircraft unairworthy, so that when the engine inevitably goes quiet you film yourself jumping out of the cockpit, leaving the plane to auger in some random spot...

I don’t recall…the plane he was flying was aerobatic? And you only actually need to wear a chute if you’re doing aerobatics, correct?

Only need a chute with aerobatics if there is more than one person. Oddly, it doesn’t look required for solo aerobatics.

Do need one for throwing meat bombs if there isn’t a divider.

I don’t recall…the plane he was flying was aerobatic? And you only actually need to wear a chute if you’re doing aerobatics, correct?
Depends how you define “aerobatic”.

the actual reg is about bank and pitch angles.
(c) Unless each occupant of the aircraft is wearing an approved parachute, no pilot of a civil aircraft carrying any person (other than a crewmember) may execute any intentional maneuver that exceeds -

(1) A bank of 60 degrees relative to the horizon; or

(2) A nose-up or nose-down attitude of 30 degrees relative to the horizon.
Otherwise, mostly what @Tools said, except that it’s more than crewmember(s).

So has there been any semi recent examples of someone wearing a safety chute that did have to bail as their last option. Jump pilots at our field always wear a chute

Wearing a parachute along with fire extinguishers strapped to your legs might invite further scrutiny by the authorities and your peers.

So has there been any semi recent examples of someone wearing a safety chute that did have to bail as their last option. Jump pilots at our field always wear a chute
The only one I can remember in any detail as the GippsAero GA10 that went in in...2018? but that was in flight test and isn't exactly representative of a typical flight. There have been several glider bailouts in recent history but I don't have details immediately at hand.

Nauga,
who is ready to go

Midair at Duxford a few years ago.

I recall a story, a while back, of a guy who had to bail out of a Citabria. He was doing solo aerobatics and the rear stick got hung up on the seat belt.

It's actually a good question that was discussed a lot after the stunt. Fact is, the FAA isn't going to "come after you" without a boatload of evidence like a twenty minute video on YouTube that pretty much proved you violated a whole lot of rules. But even if they did and you told your whole story without lying to them you'd be okay. I'm pretty sure Trevor lied to them - he knows it, they know it and well, it's probably THE pet peeve of the FAA or any Governmental agency. They don't like lies.

… THE pet peeve of the FAA or any Governmental agency. They don't like lies.
They also know making a materially false statement to a federal agent or agency can get you five years. See 18 USC 1001.

I think Trevor nailed his coffin shut when he removed the wreckage before the FAA could examine it.

I think he did that when he opened the airplane door and said “I have to jump out”

the trouble with this hypothetical is that if you ever need it, you will almost never have a parachute. If you really do need it (airplane on fire at 10,000’) and you have it, there won’t be a question.

Back