Bailed because of frost -- a good call?

My FBO puts all "first A.M. flights" in the hanger to keep them frost\ice free. Is that uncommon? Do need to tip the line guys extravegantly at Christmas?

Shep

Well managed FBOs will do this as a matter of course.

Doing something nice for the line guys that remember you can pay off later. Especially over other pilots who weren't so generous.

Who was the genius who said that clear ice was ok? How do you know it perfectly adheres to the wing and is not changing the shape of the airfoil at all - and what does it weigh and how do you account for it in the W&B?

I swear, the OWT's out there -

Agreed....pardon my ignorance as I have never been a crazy Freight Dawg, but for me, anytime I see ice in my not certified for known icing steed, I take it very seriously. Nature isn't that perfect

Not to hijack my own thread, but I passed my checkride today :)

Congratulations! What fine day to fly it was, too.

All my training airwork was done at McKinney (excuse me, Collin County Regional), like a second home to me back then.

---

And yes, you made the right call. Not flying when you are uncertain about safety is always the right call.

Not to hijack my own thread, but I passed my checkride today :)

Congrats... As it gets lost in the thread. Heh heh.

For the person who said their FBO puts stuff in the hangar for frost... Lots of us have flown out of FBOs that don't have hangars. :)

It is ALWAYS a good call to bail because of anything that makes you uncomfortable.
Period. End of discussion.

Sure, and Columbus went off the edge of the Earth too.
when you are in a vehicle that doesn't have to carry its own fuel you can afford to not know where you are, where you're going, or where you've been. The same didn't work so well for Earhart and Noonan.

Back