Bahamas Island Hopping 2018

Holy cow, your Bahama trip ruined my life! I've sold my soul! I can't sleep at night :) I totally just stumbled on your YouTube video's 2 weeks ago and never even conceived of a vacation like that! We love the Bahama's and were just so used to Airlines and Cruise ships. Now I've researched airports around me, pilot programs, talked to acquaintances who are pilots, joined forums "LOL", researched planes, and started a business on the side to replace my current income so that I can do this. My family and friends are almost as excited as me. So anyway, Thanks for taking the time to make and post such a neat video series!
Welcome to POA. Good luck with your adventure!

Great video. Flying in the Bahamas is pretty easy once you figure out all of the smaller things that have to be considered like when customs is open and where to get fuel.

You mentioned Treasure being touristy and you are correct. Next time grab a boat and head over to one of the outer islands. There are just enough things to do over there and it is by no means touristy.

I purposely bought my plane to fly to/from the Bahamas without the need to refuel. I've got 7 trips planned for 2019 so far...

TRV, BERTH, MYAT is the usual route.
Thanks for the heads up on Treasure. We figured it would be a more enjoyable place if we rented a boat to get over to the smaller islands. 7 trips for 2019...I'm jealous!! I'd be pretty happy if we can make it a yearly occurrence. :)

Holy cow, your Bahama trip ruined my life! I've sold my soul! I can't sleep at night :) I totally just stumbled on your YouTube video's 2 weeks ago and never even conceived of a vacation like that! We love the Bahama's and were just so used to Airlines and Cruise ships. Before this I was just a paraglider pilot. Now I've researched airports around me, pilot programs, talked to acquaintances who are pilots, joined forums "LOL", researched planes, and started a business on the side to supplement or replace my current income so that I can do this. My family and friends are almost as excited as me. So anyway, Thanks for taking the time to make and post such a neat video series!
That's awesome Rasta!! Honestly, we started the channel just playing around with GoPro's while flying and continued it to spread our love of general aviation as it seemed there were people interested. By far the most satisfying thing for me is when people tell me it helped inspire them to start flying! Congratulations on your new journey...keep us posted here how things are going for you!

I have to believe there is not a lot if A&Ps in the Bahamas, I assume you have to fly a stateside A&P to the island to make repairs if necessary?
I'm guessing you're correct. I didn't even see a hangar (not that it's required to work on planes) while down there. Perhaps Nassau and Grand Bahama have something? Lucky for us the plane worked well and we didn't need anything. Either way, I'm sure it would get expensive if you break down out there.

Bahamas #7: The Party is Over
Island hopping the Bahamas has been amazing but it's time to head home. In this flight we depart Treasure Cay, open our VFR flight plan, get flight following from Miami Center and land back in Ft Pierce, Florida. You'll also get to hear Jaime and I discuss our thoughts about the trip.

Bahamas #8: Sweet Home Alabama
*Sorry for the long intro with music. I had some technical difficulties with the audio recording in the beginning (as @Sinistar recently mentioned...not an ideal spot for the audio cable where I have it).* This a VFR flight from Ft Pierce (FPR), FL to Huntsville (MDQ), AL. There was a cold front that was approaching northern Alabama when we departed that was forecast to hit about the time of our arrival with possible convective storms so we elected to go VFR with plenty of outs if needed. The storms ended up rolling through a little while after we landed. Even though it was a short stay in Northern Alabama, we both really enjoyed it there. Beautiful, great people, slower pace...my kind of place.

Kevin
I didn’t see you two wearing shoulder harnesses for take off and landing. Was that just because those scenes didn’t make the videos or do you not use them? Just curious.

My panel always seem to close not to wear shoulder harnesses for at least the start and end of each flight.

Kevin
I didn’t see you two wearing shoulder harnesses for take off and landing. Was that just because those scenes didn’t make the videos or do you not use them? Just curious.

My panel always seem to close not to wear shoulder harnesses for at least the start and end of each flight.

I don’t think they have them? I remember him saying they are going to add them at some point

Watchin' these videos just makes me wanna pack up and fly the Cherokee down there. Might get to one of these days. ;)

Kevin

Gary,
As mentioned, my plane didn't come with shoulder harnesses. We plan to install BAS shoulder harnesses in February during the annual. I agree, if we had to put her down off airport that panel is way too close for no harnesses.

Watchin' these videos just makes me wanna pack up and fly the Cherokee down there. Might get to one of these days. ;)
You should do it...you won't be disappointed. The Bahamas are made for GA flying. :)

Back