Bahamas for Spring Break?

Discussion in 'Cool Places to Fly' started by jdfrey1, Nov 6, 2019.

1. jdfrey1

jdfrey1 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jeff Frey
    I'm sure there are multiple threads on this but a quick search didn't uncover any recent ones so I thought I'd ask the question. I'd like to fly the family to the Bahamas soon. We've been talking about it for years but we always end up somewhere in Florida on Spring Break. We like to have a mix of relaxing beach time but still have the opportunity to explore and adventure. I think we would be bored if we spent the whole week on an isolated island somewhere. It seems like on most beach vacations we spend about every other day relaxing on the beach and the others exploring or doing touristy things. I'm actually considering making my first trip to the Bahamas to an all inclusive resort and then potentially do a day trip or two to explore the Bahamas a bit. So I'm looking for recommendations. Have any of you flown into the Bahamas and stayed at an all inclusive? Where did you go and would you recommend it? Did you rent a car or just take taxis? Any other experiences and thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Computerjim

Computerjim Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    JimISC2452
    Try these sites
    https://www.bahamas.com/things-do/p...MI0-SAmKzd5QIVCGyGCh3tsgnPEAAYAiAAEgIJ0vD_BwE
    http://caribbeanflyingadventures.com/

There are many great places to fly into in the Bahamas. Right now Grand Bahama and the Abacos are off the list for the near future due to extensive hurricane damage. But Nassaua, the largest city, Harbor Island, Eluthera, Exhuma, an the other islands are open for business. Due some web surfing and see what interests you. Many resorts will give up to a $300 credit to pilots flying in. This a a credit from the Bahamian Government.

3. 455 Bravo Uniform

455 Bravo Uniform En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    455 Bravo Uniform
    @Radar Contact has some vids of a trip they made down there.

It’s a testament to the freedom of aviation...and always gets me wondering why I don’t retire early and get out of this cold weather.

Radar Contact and Sinistar like this.
  4. Initial Fix

Initial Fix Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Initial Fix
  5. Sinistar

Sinistar Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad
    +1.

I like @Radar Contact's multi part series to the Bahamas (310 pilot on Youtube). There are several Steveo videos where he goes to the Bahamas and talks about the customs reqs, etc. I did like the one with MsMindy the best....because they fly a Skylane :)

Radar Contact likes this.
  6. Radar Contact

Radar Contact Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kevin
    We didn't do an all inclusive. We did an island hopping adventure and LOVED it. All I did was get the AOPA flying Bahamas book and follow it (customs sticker/eAPIS/POE/etc). I highly recommend Ft Pierce as exit/entry. The tiki hut FBO has all the paperwork you need, good food, floatation rental, customs right next door, relatively cheap gas). We enjoyed mixing it up and getting a feel for a few different islands...they are all so unique. We just walked or taxied everywhere and it worked great. I won't go over the details of the trip because that would be easier with the videos but if you don't want to watch them or have any questions about non-all inclusive's, let me know. The Bahamas are made for general aviation. :)

jdfrey1, ktup-flyer and wayneda40 like this.
  7. KaiGywer

KaiGywer Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    KaiGywer
    Having only been to Bahamas once, I wanna go back and experience more. What's the price level of food, hotels etc on the out island? We only went to Atlantis in Nassau and luckily it was all inclusive or I wouldn't have eaten that week (we had to sign our receipts even though we didn't pay). Definitely a bucket list item to island hop down there sometime.

8. ktup-flyer

ktup-flyer En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    ktup-flyer
    I second Ft. Pierce

9. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    I didn't go to an all-inclusive, and I don't think I would. We flew over Sandals on our way home and it was just nowhere near as nice as the place we had just been (Cape Santa Maria). We also did a split week, half lounging on the beach at Cape Santa Maria and the other half in Freeport doing touristy stuff.

10. hindsight2020

hindsight2020 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    hindsight2020
    I made the mistake of doing sandals all inclusive for a homeymoon (well, and the mistake of marrying my ex, so it follows lol) and the place was a dump. not only that, but they made us stay indoors for filming commercials in the property. now how u like that irony? I thought it was rather fitting. Avoid the place, I'd avoid Nassau as well.

Radar Contact and Shuswap BC like this.
  11. jdfrey1

jdfrey1 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jeff Frey
    Thanks so much Kevin. I love your videos. Your recent series made me want to go to the Bahamas even more. If you are ever on the other side of Lake Michigan and want to get together let me know.