Bahamas Blues...

bahama flier

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
bahama flier
My wife and I have leased a house in several places in the Bahamas over the last 6 years. I have sent over a car, and two boats, (one was stolen last year).

When I was flying over, we were over at least a week each month, and I have flown over there 80 times in the last 10 years, and have many friends on different Islands. Since I lost my medical due to cancer surgery, I haven't been over for over 7 months.

I am waiting for my paperwork to finally be approved by the FAA so I can fly again. The FAA could care less about my life and struggles to fly again, I am just a piece of paper on their desk.

I have paid for the House lease over a half a year, and not been there... but if the FAA gets off their A--, I will be on my way.

Stay safe my friend...

I have spent years visiting Nassau, Freeport, Abaco's, Eleuthera, and now I'm in the Berry's. If you are new to flying to the Bahamas , stay away from Nassau-Freeport. Go to the out Islands, you will be treated better, not much chance of being robbed or killed, prices are better. Just be sure where you can get avgas fill up each time you land, no matter the price,, stay topped off.

how easy is it to steal a car...................on an island?!?

anyways, hope the faa gets their sht together so u can get back there soon!

how easy is it to steal a car...................on an island?!?

It was one of his boats that was stolen.

Sorry to hear about your struggle with the FAA. The government doesn't seem to be in a hurry for much of anything, do they? :frown2:

Good luck with the FAA ,remember their there to help us pilots.

Any thought of subleasing the house? - pilots tend toward trustworthiness.

Any pirep on Mayaguana?

Hang in there w your FAA-waiting endeavors

Where do you land for your port of entry AND refuel?

Leaving Florida from eithe ft pierce or Miami executive I was planning for an entry and refuel at San andros but the latest info shows no fuel there. That only leaves Freeport or Nassau.

We wouldn't be sightseeing at the port of entry but simply refuel and head straight to staniel cay.

Or any suggestions?

You should have let your medical expire naturally without any mention of surgery then you could've technically qualified for LSA as long as you're still healthy enough to have a drivers license.

Got room in the house for another couple or two? We're always looking for a reason to go to the Bahamas. Happy for you to join if you'd like us to pick you up sometime.

Sorry I did not make it clear, it was one of my boats that was stolen, they got my 32 ft, but I still have my 22 ft Whaler.

You have to get on the internet if you can't find a flier with all the airports and fuel stops. Then it is wise to call the airport and see if they have fuel before you go.

I KNOW IT"S ILLEGAL but !!!! I take some extra five gal cans of avgas with me. The Bahamas don't care, they see a lot of cans with gas, I bring back empty cans, no law I know of that makes it illegal to transport empty gas cans in your aircraft, in case I get a ramp check.

I had rather get in trouble for the gas cans than run out of gas while flying...

If I know the airport has fuel, I don't carry gas unless I am going to an airport without fuel.

It a very different country in the Bahamas, not for everybody, you just have to accept it or stay away. Be safe my friend..

EvilEagle... I might get with you if you want to go over to the Berry Island or N. Eleuthera.

Friends who've flown to the Bahamas repeat tales of airports where you don't dare leave your airplane unattended overnight or the fuel fairies will drain the tanks and leave you stranded.

Is there much if any truth to these rumors?

I have a world atlas on my wall and was looking at the Bahamas just yesterday, wondering why I've never flown there. It seems like it would be fun. I've been only to Nassau, flying commercially. But I've been there a dozen times or so and love it.

I'm not familiar with Bahamian flight, but, as a general rule, flying through an archipelago is something to savor.

Plan well. Prepare to incur delays due to weather. But, definitely consider giving it a go.

Time of year may be an important consideration.

I have a world atlas on my wall and was looking at the Bahamas just yesterday, wondering why I've never flown there. It seems like it would be fun. I've been only to Nassau, flying commercially. But I've been there a dozen times or so and love it.

Last edited:
. . . stay away from Nassau-Freeport. Go to the out Islands, you will be treated better, not much chance of being robbed or killed, prices are better. Just be sure where you can get avgas fill up each time you land, no matter the price,, stay topped off.

We went to Nassau for a week on honeymoon back in late-October 2014 and had a great time. I'm sure it's over-commercialized like any major tourist destination, but I never felt unsafe or crowded-out. I'm sure if I were in your position, I'd want to avoid it, but I wouldn't exactly completely stay away. The people seemed very friendly, and the staff at the Nassau-Hilton and Atlantis were great. Weather ended up being pristine all week.

That being said, if I came in on one of the cruise ships with only 6-8 hours to spend, I'd probably be less-impressed because of how everyone gets rushed around to their activities. We were able to tour a lot of places and relax on the various beaches which helped with my enjoyment of the "island life".

The people seemed very friendly, and the staff at the Nassau-Hilton and Atlantis were great.

For several years we stayed at other hotels while everyone kept telling us to try Atlantis. Since we're seldom at the hotel, almost always on the beach, it didn't make sense to me. One year Atlantis wasn't much more so we booked a room there. Now I could never stay anywhere else. I spent most of the week just floating along the lazy river. Probably because I had no idea where I'd gotten in.

I have no idea why, because it's really not that good, but we always eat at Johnny Rockets at least once while we're there. It's just kind of a fun tradition.

Lock your gas caps! A guy from Miami who flew a 337 all the time to the Bahamas had gas stolen from his plane. Crashed in the water on the trip home.

Lock your gas caps! A guy from Miami who flew a 337 all the time to the Bahamas had gas stolen from his plane. Crashed in the water on the trip home.

No offense, but if he didn't check his fuel level before heading home...

I have not seen a locking gas cap on a GA plane. Who make them?

For several years we stayed at other hotels while everyone kept telling us to try Atlantis. Since we're seldom at the hotel, almost always on the beach, it didn't make sense to me. One year Atlantis wasn't much more so we booked a room there. Now I could never stay anywhere else. I spent most of the week just floating along the lazy river. Probably because I had no idea where I'd gotten in.

I have no idea why, because it's really not that good, but we always eat at Johnny Rockets at least once while we're there. It's just kind of a fun tradition.

Yeah we spent a few days over at Atlantis to do the water parks and such. They have some fantastic restaurants over there (didn't try Johnny Rockets, but we have them here locally in Tulsa), but Mesa was good. We then moved off of paradise island over the Nassau-Hilton for the remainder of the week to get out of the "Atlantis area" and see more of the island since we had done a few of the excursions for snorkling/sailing/dolphin deep water swim. We did tours of local stuff and watched the cruise ships roll in and out of port from our balcony and the private beach. No complaints here!

If I went back, I'd probably venture elsewhere simply to avoid repeating the trip, but I'd definitely never tell any first-timer to avoid it.

Hoping you will get the paperwork approved by FAA ASAP.
Good luck for your new life!!!!:goofy:

One of my friends just asked me if I wanted to help plan a trip to the Bahamas over Memorial Day. Bahama Flier: any interest?

I've been to the Abacos a few times. Great trip.

Have thought about getting a car/boat to leave out there but its a little too far for long weekends, and I don't have the time off for regular extended trips

Hey, I love the bahamas. I would be happy to fly you there. You got the house I got the time :) Hope things work out for ya. I read that there is major reform underway for GA pilots in terms of medical. Last time I heard it was getting voted on in DC.

Hey, I love the bahamas. I would be happy to fly you there. You got the house I got the time :) Hope things work out for ya. I read that there is major reform underway for GA pilots in terms of medical. Last time I heard it was getting voted on in DC.

Sure, PBOR2. However, it only helps him if #1, it gets approved by the House, #2 if his medical hadn't been previously denied. Now there are some supposed changes to special issuance medicals as well as not needing AMEs anymore, but it probably doesn't change a whole lot of anything for him.

Back