Bader Field

mattaxelrod

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
I just flew into Bader for the fun of it tonight. Is it definitely going to be closed? When?

As soon as the "time is up" from their last Federal grant ... which I believe will be sometime in 2007.

mattaxelrod said:
I just flew into Bader for the fun of it tonight. Is it definitely going to be closed? When?

I heard a closing date in September, 2006. I flew in a few weeks ago just so I could say I've been there. VERY cool approach/pattern. A little disconcerting to see those buildings up close and personal.

I doubt there will be much support to save it - a decrepit patch of concrete that serves only spoiled rich pilots. Just think of the uses it could be put to! Slot machines! Shopping! Entertainment! High end Condos!

I wonder whether NJ cares what AOPA thinks, given the negative, unhelpful response NJ had to the opportunity of hosting next yrs AOPA Expo at KACY. Instead, we'll all be in sunny Hartford, CT.

Just a clarification: the State of NJ, through it's aviation division, was always supportive of Bader Field. The City of Atlantic City has been openly hostile for decades, and was kept from closing the field only by the federal grant assurances, which expire at some point in 2006. There was a time that the city decided to just let the airport deteriorate, but the state required them to perform a mimimal level of maintenance. However, the city owns the airport, and there is nothing NJ can do to keep it from closing. In fact, I believe NJ has lost a greater proportion of its airports than any other state in the country. Such is the problem with high population density and skyrocketing property values and taxes. It is the city that told AOPA to get lost re the convention. Short sighted obviously...a town dependent on tourism giving potential tourist the middle finger.

Jon
formerly of southern NJ

Yeah quite a shame. I flew in there last Spring just so I could say I was there before the inevitable closure.

I stand corrected.

It's a shame the "city leaders" of AC are so short-sighted. They should probably spend more time fixing their city, and taking advantage of such a diamond in the rough such as Bader Field, but....

Fly to Bader while you still can!!! It's a really neat place to visit.

Done deal.

City owns the airport, and they have made it clear they don't want it. The dozers will start moving as soon as the clock strikes 12.

mattaxelrod said:
Is there anything that we, or AOPA, can do, or is a fait accompli?

Back