Bad traffic, power out, generator OTS.

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
We had really high winds here today and that's probably why the power was out when I got home. Not only my house, but the traffic light on the corner was dead too which made for a long commute home. Took literally 30 minutes to go 3 miles and there are no alternate routes worth trying, although had I known what the trouble was I would have tried one anyway. Since it seemed likely that the power would be out for a while I decided to fire up the generator. It turned over but no fire at all. Opened the carb bowl drain and nothing came out. Pulled the line from the tank to the carb and it was dry too. OK, the valve at the bottom of the tank is full of crap. Pulled the tank. Remove, clean, and replaced the valve. Hooked it back up to the carb. Now fuel is dripping from the line where it goes on the carb. Also noticed that the fuel line is falling apart. Hmmm, leaking gasoline right next to the exhaust probably isn't good. Dig around in the basement with a flashlight and finally find some plastic tubing. Hope it's fuel resistant. Soak one end in some gas and it seems OK, at least good enough for now. Hook up the new fuel line and crank the engine over. Still no fire, carb must be plugged up too. Took that off and found that the float valve was stuck closed and there was some of the same crud in the passage to that valve. Cleaned everything up, put it back together (almost.. more on that later), and installed the carb on the engine. Open the fuel valve and fuel runs out the hole where the main jet and mixture adjustment screw go. Oops forgot to put those back in. And of course, there's no way to get a screwdriver in the hole to tighten the main jet because the tire is in the way. Tried to remove the wheel, no joy. Removed the carb again, installed the main jet and mixture screw. Re-installed
the (complete) carb and hit the start button. Engine fires right up but dies when the choke is opened. Adjust the mixture a bit richer and try again. Success! Yay, now that the lights are back on, I can microwave something to eat. Wait a minute, I haven't thrown the transfer switch yet, the power came back on as soon as I got the generator running.

...Engine fires right up but dies when the choke is opened. Adjust the mixture a bit richer and try again. Success! Yay, now that the lights are back on, I can microwave something to eat. Wait a minute, I haven't thrown the transfer switch yet, the power came back on as soon as I got the generator running.

:rofl: Sounds like one of my adventures, only I wouldn't have worked on the engine so much as figure out an alternative.

I just did considerable Googling to find 75 watt equivalent Compact Flourescent bug lights, to a) save electricity and b) try to limit the food supply for the spiders.

At one point I asked my local Ace to order the higher watt E bulbs but he couldn't get them.

I found them online for like $10 a bulb. I needed 8.

I also needed 3 flood lights for the roof eaves. It lights up my yard on the road side. I found yellow PAR flood CFLs.

yesterday I grabbed the ladder and replaced all of the bulbs. The floods required me to squeeze behind my juniper hedge which has big branches too cut me up and fight teh ladder. I balance, manage to unscrew the 3 bulbs. Tje last bulb comes out with the thread part of the socket attached. I had to take a call from work so I packed up ladder and got back inside. When I powered up teh floods, nothing lights. It looks like the bulbs don't reach far enough into the socket to make contact. Whatevah. I need a whole new fixture anyway.

I installed the other 8 CFLs.

I noticed that the fixtures that had incandescent bug bulbs were a lot cleaner.

I even managed to remove the broken bulb base from another fixture.

Last night, I had the remaining lights all on with all of the yellow hued glory The back door entrance looks really cool.

I notice at the front door that the fixture is covered with mosquitoes and other bugs. Evidently the bugs CAN see this yellow. :dunno:

ME <-----cannot win

Now, let that be a lesson to ya... never wait until the emergency to find out if your emergency equipment is operating. :)

Every week or so, I'll come across an office building that has started up its generator to check it out and make sure all is in order. Then again, there's probably more displacement in one cylinder on one of those gizmos than on all cylinders of a half dozen of your home model.

A couple years ago, we lost power for a few hours during an ice storm. I used up two UPS units to power a table lamp for reading. That gave me the idea to put the cable box on a UPS so I'd never have to wait for the guide to load again after a power outage. It protects the rest of my A/V equipment as well.

Now, let that be a lesson to ya... never wait until the emergency to find out if your emergency equipment is operating. :)

Every week or so, I'll come across an office building that has started up its generator to check it out and make sure all is in order. Then again, there's probably more displacement in one cylinder on one of those gizmos than on all cylinders of a half dozen of your home model.

A couple years ago, we lost power for a few hours during an ice storm. I used up two UPS units to power a table lamp for reading. That gave me the idea to put the cable box on a UPS so I'd never have to wait for the guide to load again after a power outage. It protects the rest of my A/V equipment as well.
It's SOP to put a UPS on your TiVo if you care,and they don't lose the guide when you power cycle them. I know what you mean. That Comcast DVR locks up so you have to power cycle to get it working and then it takes hours to know what's on.

30 minutes to go 3 miles? Sounds like a normal day in Boston, DC or NYC... :eek:

Thanks for reminding me that I ought to go clean up and fire-up my genset.

Back