Bad stove burners [NA]

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
Our new to home owning lessons continue, as I discovered a couple non-airworthy discrepancies in our kitchen while helping Sean fix Cathy breakfast today. First, we have a leaking valve under the kitchen sink, which I should be able to fix without too much pain.

Second, while I was burning bacon and hashbrowns, I discovered that one of our burners is out altogether, and not one of the other three heats evenly. We're going to be redoing the kitchen next year, but I don't see any need for her to deal with that pain in the butt till then. Does anyone know if new burners would fix this problem, or should we just grit our teeth and buy a new stove? Four new burners are about $120. I don't want to drop that coin if it's not likely to work.

At least the dishwasher seems to work. I put it to the test after breakfast. You can see it hard at work in the pic below :D

Joe Williams said:
Our new to home owning lessons continue, as I discovered a couple non-airworthy discrepancies in our kitchen while helping Sean fix Cathy breakfast today. First, we have a leaking valve under the kitchen sink, which I should be able to fix without too much pain.

Second, while I was burning bacon and hashbrowns, I discovered that one of our burners is out altogether, and not one of the other three heats evenly. We're going to be redoing the kitchen next year, but I don't see any need for her to deal with that pain in the butt till then. Does anyone know if new burners would fix this problem, or should we just grit our teeth and buy a new stove? Four new burners are about $120. I don't want to drop that coin if it's not likely to work.

At least the dishwasher seems to work. I put it to the test after breakfast. You can see it hard at work in the pic below :D

Electric stove, or gas?

wsuffa said:
Electric stove, or gas?

It looks electric to me from the picture.

It depends what you are going to replace the stove with...

If you are going to buy a cheaper stove <350 I would just buy the new stove and save the 120 from the other stove. If however you are going to buy a more expensive stove but want to save up for awhile it might be good to fix the one you have to avoid "friction" at the household.

Last edited:
Iceman said:
It looks electric to me from the picture.

With electric, uneven heating can usually be fixed by replacing the burner.

As for the burner that's completely out, it's either the switch or the burner. Easy way to tell is to swap the non-working burner with another burner and see if it works.... on most stoves, the electric elements just plug in.

pretty flowers!!

I don't know what to tell you, except to switch to gas!! ha ha

unless you really cook a LOT, save the 120 bucks. any way you could buy a new stove now, or sooner than next year? and do the rest of the kitchen later?

woodstock said:
pretty flowers!!

I don't know what to tell you, except to switch to gas!! ha ha

unless you really cook a LOT, save the 120 bucks. any way you could buy a new stove now, or sooner than next year? and do the rest of the kitchen later?

If I buy now, it would just have to be a cheap stove, but that would make us reluctant to turn around and buy a nice one next year. If I can get this one going, I'd like to keep it trucking so I can buy her a nice stove. She's never said a thing about these burners not working. When I mentioned them, she just said "I know." Communication... the key to marriage LOL

Joe Williams said:
When I mentioned them, she just said "I know." Communication... the key to marriage LOL
Better than "I told you about those burners months ago..."

Joe Williams said:
If I buy now, it would just have to be a cheap stove, but that would make us reluctant to turn around and buy a nice one next year. If I can get this one going, I'd like to keep it trucking so I can buy her a nice stove.

Joe, have you tried to find replacement burners online? They might be a lot cheaper. Alternatively, you might be able to find a working used stove for less than $120. People pay to have them hauled away when they remodel their kitchens.

How good is the rest of the stove? Does the oven work properly, timers, etc. all work? If everything else is working properly, I would be tempted to spend the $120 to keep it going. If other things are on their last legs, too, I don't think I would put that much into it.

gkainz said:
Better than "I told you about those burners months ago..."

Greg,

Actually it goes like this..."I told you about those burners month ago, remember!?".

See this way if you say:
  • Yes you remember...you are lazy, uncaring bum who just doesn't do anything around the house.
  • No you don't remember...then you are going senile and need to be shipped off to a home with the other poor folks suffering with dementia.
:<)

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Greg,

Actually it goes like this..."I told you about those burners month ago, remember!?".

See this way if you say:
  • Yes you remember...you are lazy, uncaring bum who just doesn't do anything around the house.
  • No you don't remember...then you are going senile and need to be shipped off to a home with the other poor folks suffering with dementia.

Len

There is also version 2(b) Of course you don't remember....That's because you never listen to me....

Joe Williams said:
If I buy now, it would just have to be a cheap stove, but that would make us reluctant to turn around and buy a nice one next year.

Joe,

If you know you are going to remodel the kitchen in a year or so and that plan calls for a new stove I would only put money into the existing stove for safety reasons.

Note that stoves come in standard sizes so unless you are converting from electric to gas or the remodeling has you moving to a differnt size or configuration (from a 4 burner slide in stove to a wall mount stove with a cook top, or a 6 burner stove, or etc etc etc) you can buy the new stove before the actual remodeling and use the new stove in the old kitchen until you are ready to remodel. That is what we ended up doing in our last house when the old stove gave up the ghost before we were ready for the kitchen remodeling.

RE Stove Prices....very wide range....pun intended :<)

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Greg,

See this way if you say:

Len
:yes:

Henning said:
There is also version 2(b) Of course you don't remember....That's because you never listen to me....

To which my response would be....."What?".

Back