Bad-Elf Wombat

MD11Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MD11Pilot
Anyone tried this unit? I have a Garmin 530W, 430 and an Aera 796. I just switched to Jeppesen for the 530W NavData (on the MAC) and have to get the 796 from Garmin (subscription still in effect) and Terrain from Garmin on the PC. I am a MAC person but have to use an old and cheap PC laptop for the Garmin stuff. From my reading about the Wombat I can wirelessly download everything to it and just insert the different cards into the unit and then into the Garmin units. Will be calling Bad-Elf tomorrow and hope to hear good news.
If anyone knows if I am wrong please advise.
Thanks

Just heard from Bad-Elf and Wombat does not support the Garmin Terrain and I must still use the PC Laptop to download that update. Why does this have to be so hard? I am NOT a computer person. It took me one hour to do the updates earlier this week via my PC Laptop. It takes about 30 seconds to do an update via the MAC.

Started following the Wombat “rollout” seems like a couple of years ago and seems a nice idea but not at that price point.

.....and supposedly was on Bad Elf’s notification list, but heard nothing when it was finally released.
Asked about a retroactive Sun n Fun discount and was told I could get a free carrying case. Wow. No thanks.

I am just tired of the shuffle of updates. I know that most of the world uses microsoft but not all do and I would guess that the number of MAC users is much higher than most think...most are carrying an IPad which I believe is not a PC product. (GG)
I was told by a friend to get my 530W updates from Jeppensen so I went there only to find out that I cannot update my terrain features through them and only through Garmin. I cannot update my 530W NavData through Garmin on my Mac and have to use my pc laptop which is a very slow and I simply do not use it except for these updates. Takes about ten minutes after turning it on and deleted all of the popup messages that "your anti-virus has expired" to know why I loath Microsoft.
I talked to Garmin and they said they will not support the "legacy" units by writing for a MAC and suggested upgrading to the GTN 750...I replied "I think that the Avidyne is the way I go, at least they will support their customers". He said "Whatever".

I have called and written to Jeppensen twice with no reply.

I would suggest that we get all of our GPS information, TIS, FIS etc. via satellite. Jeppesen and Garmin could just send updates via satellite to the active units....I know, it's a pipe dream.

Back