Bad Elf question

david0tey

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Fox-Three
A couple of questions on the bad elf external gps:

My iPad is wifi only, if I search for airport info inflight with the bad elf, will I be able to access that information? Or does it just give me positioning data?

If not, is there any way to get that inflight? Or do I have to simply look it up before departure? #firstworldproblems

Thanks.

The bad elf won't give you any extra data other than your gps info. If you use foreflight, etc. you'll need to download airport info while on wifi.

The only way to look it up on the wifi iPad in flight would be to either get some device that connects to a cell data network and creates a wifi network ( mobile hotspot) for you to join to. This will only work at lower altitudes though. I also use a wifi iPad and just download all info for states I'll be flying through in FF.

Last edited:
Thanks but if I understand correctly, I will get the map overlay on downloaded charts?

It will make your position show up in Foreflight, Google Maps, and just about any other app that needs position, so that they work the same as if you had an internal GPS.

It will do nothing more than that.

If you want airport info such as runway layout and frequencies, that is included already in Foreflight and similar apps.

If you want weather for an airport, you will want a portable ADS B receiver such as Stratus, and this includes a GPS receiver so that there is no need to also buy a GPS receiver.

If you get a Bad Elf, I hope that you are better than me at not losing it. It is small, the size of a postage stamp, and it must be frequently inserted and removed from your iPad. I lost mine twice in rental planes and parking lots. Be sure to put your name on it, or get a Dual 150 instead.

Last edited:
I have a wifi only iPad running Foreflight. I have the bad elf pro for GPS data.

Foreflight data plans include regular chart, AF/D, and instrument approach plates.
While on wifi, Do a flight plan, then a pack will get current weather and notams before you leave. No more updates. Everything works.

I put the bad elf on a long cord it came with, drape it down the panel. The way my headset plus in, I could easily tie it to my headset. I also carry a SPOT tracking device, I could tie those to together to keep from leaving one behind.

Has anyone invested/backed the kickstarter program for Bad Elf ADS-B? I am in the market for one, I could potentially wait until next summer to get it (i.e. been putting it off), but have not "backed" a company in hopes that development and product release works out. Anyone already involved with this?

Has anyone invested/backed the kickstarter program for Bad Elf ADS-B? I am in the market for one, I could potentially wait until next summer to get it (i.e. been putting it off), but have not "backed" a company in hopes that development and product release works out. Anyone already involved with this?

Yes I am and so are several pilot friends of mine. Not looking good for hitting the goal though unless there is a huge influx of backers in January.

Back