Bad Elf ADS-B Portable 'In' - Kickstarter

I don't think they're late to the game. Just commercialized a similar construct for those that don't want to build it themselves, as far as I can tell. The device is substantially smaller than the Stratux systems builds and doesn't require all the setup.

Do we know if they offer some additional "functionality" or stability maybe? Hey Scrabo, you've done a bunch of research and setup stuff with the Stratux system right? Have you run into any big hurdles? Is there anything that the BadElf system solves in that regard?

At first blush though the BadElf looks decent to me, although I'm about the DIY stuff and love the Stratux system.

Last edited:
I find this whole DIY ADSB system hilariously ironic too btw. A bunch of the same pilots on reddit that are using that system and all "fanboy" about it are the same one's that are so hardcore anti-drone/quadcopter.

Hey guess what hypocrites... Who do you think came up with that system? Ya, those drone guys you hate so much.

Last edited:
I don't think they're late to the game. Just commercialized a similar construct for those that don't want to build it themselves, as far as I can tell. The device is substantially smaller than the Stratux systems builds and doesn't require all the setup.

Do we know if they offer some additional "functionality" or stability maybe? Hey Scrabo, you've done a bunch of research and setup stuff with the Stratux system right? Have you run into any big hurdles? Is there anything that the BadElf system solves in that regard?

At first blush though the BadElf looks decent to me, although I'm about the DIY stuff and love the Stratux system.

Hurdle was stability of the software in the beginning and the current version is rock solid for me. I know they are always working on trying to streamline the code and reduce the footprint, add some WebUI features. I probably spend more time getting to get a case that worked for me than anything else. It all now has over 22 hours on the latest version - for 5 of those hours it ran side by side a SkyRadar unit and Stratux was actually detecting more traffic sooner.

Sure, it's a bunch of consumer grade components purchased from Amazon, the developers are open to suggestions and quick to respond to issues, but for the money, it's difficult to beat.

Someone on Reddit a few months ago suggested making these and marketing for profit, sure hope that guy can sit down again without pain :D

BadElf is also only single freq.

Last edited:
From the Kickstarter page..

ForeFlight is not included in their list of compatible apps.

They do not plan on including 1090 traffic

Hurdle was stability of the software in the beginning and the current version is rock solid for me. I know they are always working on trying to streamline the code and reduce the footprint, add some WebUI features. I probably spend more time getting to get a case that worked for me than anything else. It all now has over 22 hours on the latest version - for 5 of those hours it ran side by side a SkyRadar unit and Stratux was actually detecting more traffic sooner.

Sure, it's a bunch of consumer grade components purchased from Amazon, the developers are open to suggestions and quick to respond to issues, but for the money, it's difficult to beat.

Someone on Reddit a few months ago suggested making these and marketing for profit, sure hope that guy can sit down again without pain :D

BadElf is also only single freq.

Have they figured out a reliable AHRS system for the Stratux yet? That's the only thing holding me back.

It looks like they are specifically gearing towards GA. My understanding is 1090 is required for 18,000 ft and up.

This does look tempting for $250...

Have they figured out a reliable AHRS system for the Stratux yet? That's the only thing holding me back.

What is the value of having the AHRS on Stratux??

I haven't added it, and not sure the reason to do it.

I thought Kickstarter and similar sites were for the geeks sitting in a basement designing a product, not a company trying to help defer their capital expenditure/risk.

From their FAQ

How is this different from DIY ADS-B receivers like Stratux?

We're very excited to see Stratux pushing the envelope of what’s possible with a build-it-yourself receiver based on commodity hardware. We have a TON of respect for the founder of the project.

However, we believe that many pilots are looking for a purpose-built, aviation-grade product that works out of the box, with a world-class support team to support it for years to come. Our hardware uses a completely new hardware-based architecture that delivers higher performance, lower power consumption, and better integration than is possible with DIY or SDR-based receivers.

"... aviation-grade" to me would be PMA/FAA approval....8130 etc.... not a neatly packaged product that looks good on your glare shield

I thought Kickstarter and similar sites were for the geeks sitting in a basement designing a product, not a company trying to help defer their capital expenditure/risk.
+1

$500,000?? Dang, I could do it for that! Maybe I need to do a kickstarter thingy:rolleyes2:

Successful Kickstarters usually have a working prototype, and need money to get through the regulatory hoops and into production.

Successful Kickstarters usually have a working prototype, and need money to get through the regulatory hoops and into production.

Popular with lots of small craft brewers as they navigate regulatory approval and buy their equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They now have 1090 traffic option per popular demand

Still aren't going to happen. Not even half way with only 23 days to go.

Anybody know how this whole thing works? Do the people that already pledged their money just forfeit it? Does the company reimburse the donors? Is money only collected after the "goal" has been met?

I'm just curious.

Anybody know how this whole thing works? Do the people that already pledged their money just forfeit it? Does the company reimburse the donors? Is money only collected after the "goal" has been met?

I'm just curious.

They actually are not out any actual money just yet I think, just a pledge

Gotcha...so the bill is sent once the project is "fully funded"?

Yes , from their FAQ...

"Funding on Kickstarter is all-or-nothing. No one will be charged for a pledge towards a project unless it reaches its funding goal. This way, creators always have the budget they scoped out before moving forward."

Anyone else find the demos and the info they've given so far fairly contrived? Most of the kickstarter campaign is marketing/cheerleading "let's change the industry!" type of stuff. Behind everything they've actually said very little about what they've done and proven the results - like most legitimate kickstarter campaigns do.

This is the part I always laugh at .. "universal app compatibility "

I picked up 2 6-packs of Bad Elf Beer for the Holidays.
Good stuff.

Last edited:
Back