Bad Day / Hard Landing

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
No, Not me silly.. I was at Sedona yesterday morning and on my way into the terminal building, I noticed a cute little bird, Pigeon i think. anyways, I startled him when i walked down the pathway. I watched him go up for a brief flight, then try to land on a cactus..this didn't go well for the poor little guy, His eyes got wide as his little feathers touched down on the sharp spikes..he then frantically lifted off the cactus, and in unstable flight managed to go full speed into the glass door. After he flopped down to the ground, shook his little beak, and got himself composed, he gently took to the air, probably a bit ****ed.
I looked at the glass, and there were remnants of the birds strike, 3 small feathers glued to the door.
After walking inside, I noticed a few others had a good chuckle as did I. Not because i enjoy seeing animals in pain mind you, but its like watching a person fall, and not being able to hold back the laughter.
Quite the site. Bad day for the poor bird.
just thought Id share.

Michael

I have this idea that animals who might be watching get a big kick out of seeing me mess up. Probably a good thing we can't read their facial expressions :)

A friend of mine saw some kind of rare bird fly into his plate glass window. The impact killed the little fellow. My friend picked up the dead bird, put him in his freezer, and later took him to a taxidermist to be preserved. The taxidermist said, "no can do." Seems it's against the law to preserve them for some reason despite the cause of death.

I am told it is illegal to possess even one feather of some endangered (or maybe 'protected') species. There is an exeption for native american indians is also what this 'bird person' told me.

Dave,

I believe that applies only to eagle feathers, but I could be wrong.

This story reminds me of an experience I had watching a bird. This was right after I started learning to fly, that stage where you are consumed full-time with thoughts of flying (now, after 15 years, I think about flying only about 80% of the time). I was in San Francisco, and the bird in question was a seagull. It was landing on a post, but the winds were very high and very gusty. It was something to behold as this bird maneuvered its way through the approach, which took probably a full minute because of the winds. Eyes on the touchdown spot, minute adjustments of wing and tail feathers, a little power right at the end for stability, and then a touchdown that I doubt would have registered on even the most sensitive scale as anything more than a very steady increase of weight. Matter-of-fact folding of the wings and then a satisfied gaze around him as if he hadn't just done something quite extraordinary.

I actually learned a lot about landing from birds. I used to land very flat. Then I watched how birds turn their wings almost forward right before touchdown. I started imagining I was a bird landing, and that helped me learn to keep the nose high at touchdown.

Judy

Last edited:
judypilot said:
Matter-of-fact folding of the wings and then a satisfied gaze around him as if he hadn't just done something quite extraordinary.
Who says animals don't have a sense of humor!
judypilot said:
I started imagining I was a bird landing, and that helped me learn to keep the nose high at touchdown.
Since I got these new progressive focus glasses, when I keep my nose high, everything outside is blurry. Makes my landings SO much better, at least to me, since I can't see a darn thing outside! :D :D

judypilot said:
Dave,
I believe that applies only to eagle feathers, but I could be wrong...

I think it applies to all hawk & owl feathers as well.
- Richard

rfbdorf said:
judypilot said:
Dave,
I believe that applies only to eagle feathers, but I could be wrong...
I think it applies to all hawk & owl feathers as well.
- Richard

Seems crazy, you are walking along and come across a beautiful feather in the dirt on your own property... but you can't pick it up!! Like they are going to be needing it anytime soon!

<I think it applies to all hawk & owl feathers as well>

I'm pretty sure it is any bird that is not domestic or a game bird. So even robin and bluejay feathers can get you in trouble. I don't think to many conservation officers care much about the common birds though, unless you give them reason too.;)

Barb

My sister lives downtown Toronto. They have some rule there that all wildlife and their habitat must remain untouched, apparently. Well she has a skunk that has taken up quarters under and around the house. No end of frustration! She has called every city official and animal control person possible and they all say the current thought is 'get used to it'!
Haha, I said I'm not planning to visit for a long while!

Gently pulled a hummingbird out that had impaled its beak into a door screen and was haging there knocked out.

Eventually when it started hovering again it was a "staggering hover" for awhile.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Gently pulled a hummingbird out that had impaled its beak into a door screen and was haging there knocked out.
Eventually when it started hovering again it was a "staggering hover" for awhile.

They are cute little guys. Looky how small this one is:

Let'sgoflying! said:
They are cute little guys. Looky how small this one is:

Must have a heckuvan engine. I wonder what the wingspan is.

Back