IMG_6417.jpg
    625 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_6419.jpg
    IMG_6419.jpg
    650.7 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_6418.jpg
    IMG_6418.jpg
    588.6 KB · Views: 307
Seems like it would be easier to use a tug to move a twin inside a tight hangar.

Actually Tim that is what happened. I am not going to give the name of the shop since they are a very good and well known shop. I have done business with them. If anybody needs to know they can PM me.

The tech was working under the panel on the pilots side. The seat was not removed so you can imagine the contortions he had to use. Also this tech is on the "healthy" side. Power cart was hooked up for the various testing that was going on. As any body that has done any of this work knows that the tech/mechanic will normally push the controls forward out of the way including the condition levers.
The tech is under the panel unplugging an instrument to be removed. As he is removing it, it slips from his hand and falls straight down. It has been a while since I have been in the left seat of a 90 but as I recall the start/ignition switches are down low to the left of the column. The switches (as I remember) have a starter position that is up, center off and down is start/ign.
Remember the levers are all forward including the condition levers. The instrument falls from his hand striking the right engine start/ign switch defeating the detent and going into start/ign. The tech hears the engine spooling as he is scrambling to get out from under the dash. Engine lights off and is rapidly increasing. Tech is not a pilot and it takes him a few seconds to figure out how to get the condition levers over the detent. The result is what you see. Engine over torqued to the extent it was throwing parts out of the PT section and /or gearbox. The engine is pulled loose from the engine mounts. Numerous work tables are now kindling or scrap metal. There are multiple holes in the roof and the KA has holes into the pressure vessel. I think this happened Monday. Nobody was hurt. What a day!!

WOW!

What a story.

I guess one takeaway is to be more religious about disconnecting the battery before nearly any sort of work.

Again...WOW!

I guess one takeaway is to be more religious about disconnecting the battery before nearly any sort of work.
But the OP said there was a power cart hooked up for the testing being done so they probably needed it.

Not to worry, it will buff right out. :rolleyes:

Now that is an amazing story. :yes:

Last edited:
Not unusual for a power cart to be hooked up while in the shop. The KA was having some problems worked out. Apparently he was removing some equipment for testing or perhaps exchange. Anyway, I don't guess that is too important now.
It is a low time plane with around 3600 hrs TTAE. I am sure the owner is a little perturbed. I suspect it will be flying again someday. I doubt the owner is willing to accept a repaired plane back. May total it and sell it for salvage. Avionics shop appears to be insured. The tech that was working on the C182 had left the shop a short time before it happened. In this particular shop it is not unusual for multiple techs to be in that hangar. Could have been a lot worse!

Edit: I bet in the future the start/gen breakers will be pulled when power cart is hooked up!

Proof positive,,,,,, there are no short cuts. or? why do they write maintenance procedures?

step one, make aircraft safe for maintenance

Actually Tim that is what happened. I am not going to give the name of the shop since they are a very good and well known shop. I have done business with them. If anybody needs to know they can PM me.

The tech was working under the panel on the pilots side. The seat was not removed so you can imagine the contortions he had to use. Also this tech is on the "healthy" side. Power cart was hooked up for the various testing that was going on. As any body that has done any of this work knows that the tech/mechanic will normally push the controls forward out of the way including the condition levers.
The tech is under the panel unplugging an instrument to be removed. As he is removing it, it slips from his hand and falls straight down. It has been a while since I have been in the left seat of a 90 but as I recall the start/ignition switches are down low to the left of the column. The switches (as I remember) have a starter position that is up, center off and down is start/ign.
Remember the levers are all forward including the condition levers. The instrument falls from his hand striking the right engine start/ign switch defeating the detent and going into start/ign. The tech hears the engine spooling as he is scrambling to get out from under the dash. Engine lights off and is rapidly increasing. Tech is not a pilot and it takes him a few seconds to figure out how to get the condition levers over the detent. The result is what you see. Engine over torqued to the extent it was throwing parts out of the PT section and /or gearbox. The engine is pulled loose from the engine mounts. Numerous work tables are now kindling or scrap metal. There are multiple holes in the roof and the KA has holes into the pressure vessel. I think this happened Monday. Nobody was hurt. What a day!!

I'm surprised the batteries weren't disconnected, I guess.

Would not have made any difference if the aircraft battery had been in another hangar.
As far as a short cut, I doubt they are any maintenance procedures that exist for this. If I were a gambling man (which I am not) I would wager this has never happened anywhere in the world before. Just a freak accident. However, the start/gen breakers I will wager will be pulled for now on in this shop. Just a bad day.:(

I suspect it will be flying again someday. I doubt the owner is willing to accept a repaired plane back. May total it and sell it for salvage.

They'll probably total it and it will go salvage....then off to flying jumpers.

I came by KHEF one morning for an early morning rental and there's absolute carnage on the ramp. One plane smashed, another rotary sliced by a turning prop. I can't figure out what had happened because the planes closer to the movement area are unscathed. Turned out some drunks showed up (from the number of beer cans found around the scene) and managed to get ONE engine started on one of Colgan's King Airs. Made a nice circle of carnage before it got stuck. They'd already towed off the King Air by the time I got there.

I got interviewed by the TV crew that showed up wanting to know why the tower didn't see. I pointed out the tower closed at 11PM and owing to the amount of alcohol involved, it probably happened after the bars closed at 2AM.

They had old man Colgan himself asserting it was an inside job because these planes aren't easy to start...unless you know how then they are easy. My comment to the uninformed is that I'm sure the "instructions" were inside the plane. I always start my flight by pulling out the checklist and saying "lets see how you start this thing."

Strange things happen. I got the pictures from the shop owner that maintains the Cheyenne I use to fly. He also maintains (use to) this KA.

Says a lot about the PT 6. Apparently a wooden work table that no longer exists had a pretty good size vice bolted to it that is no longer useable. If you will notice, the blade closest to the fuselage is missing some of it's length. Speculation is the vice caused this. I wonder if the vibration is what pulled the engine loose. You can see how much it is dropped down in front.

Also think how hot the power section got on start up. It probably lit at 2-3% Ng. I bet the temp pegged for several seconds until idle speed then went to full throttle. It had to be spitting parts out of the PT section but other than dents in the cowling everything seems to have been contained. Pretty tough metal in the containment area. I am sure the gear box is toast. Might salvage some CT parts and perhaps the fuel control unit:rolleyes2:

I expect both planes will be totaled. The 182 will be a drop in the bucket. I guess the KA at maybe half a million. Then you got the facility repairs.

I suspect the KA may fly again. I don't think the KA is well suited as a jump plane unless there is a way to legally remove the cabin door. Not familiar with meat bombing. Could be used in a 'fly by night 135' or perhaps go over seas. Kind of a shame.

Also, think of the poor tech. Can you imagine how the last few days has been for him? He will NEVER live this down. It is hard to fault the tech for doing things the way they have been done forever. Even if no rules change I suspect it would never happen again. However, most rules are made after the smoke clears and the bodies are buried. What a way to end the old year!!

I don't think the KA is well suited as a jump plane unless there is a way to legally remove the cabin door. Not familiar with meat bombing. Could be used in a 'fly by night 135' or perhaps go over seas. Kind of a shame.

Reason I suggested jumpers is because I've seen it before...out in Hawaii. Jump outfit would take a throw away KA and haul meat bombs. Seemed to work alright.

Reason I suggested jumpers is because I've seen it before...out in Hawaii. Jump outfit would take a throw away KA and haul meat bombs. Seemed to work alright.

There's a few of them around drop zones, they have a sliding door in them.

Fearless I did not mean to sound as if I was dismissing what you said. I just have no experience with jumping. I just knew that dropping the stair door in flight did not sound like a good idea thus, my comment. As Henning has pointed out there seems to be a fix for this problem making the KA a good choice. Strip the interior, don't worry about pressurization and go for it. Could very well be where the plane winds up. I don't know the extent of fuselage damage, might be very minor. Also don't know exactly what failed letting the engine sag like it is. Very low time airframe, just a shame.

Also, think of the poor tech. Can you imagine how the last few days has been for him? He will NEVER live this down. It is hard to fault the tech for doing things the way they have been done forever. Even if no rules change I suspect it would never happen again. However, most rules are made after the smoke clears and the bodies are buried. What a way to end the old year!!

Reminds me of a story I heard in school from a visiting lecturer who produced the Rolling Stones. Apparently when they were recording "You can't always get what you want" the engineer selected the wrong track during a guitar overdub and erased Mick's lead vocal for about 32 bars in the middle.

I asked "I bet the engineer felt awful, what did you say to him??
The reply was "I said: Mate, I love ya, but you're fired".

Punching in on a 24 track always scared the willies out of me as well.

Just shows to go ya, do every thing right for ever, make one mistake and from there on, your the guy who bankrupted the company.

Tom, that is precious! Very true, but, precious. I guess the tech could be criticized for dropping the instrument. I did not get the sense based on third party comments that the tech was being blamed. But, who knows what the future holds for him.:(

Back