Bad advice dug me into quite a hole

G

I’m going to Put all the information down on the table, seeking advice from some of the sites AMES.
It started first two years ago when i first became interested in flying, i scheduled a discovery flight and i asked the cfi “it asks for my complete past three years medical history, that seems like a lot, is that correct?” and the cfi responded “they don’t need to know all that, as long as you haven’t had any serious medical issues, such as heart problems or seizures you should be fine.” At this point i did not know much about faa or medical, other than this statement by a ****ty cfi, at a flight school i luckily did not choose. I also asked an airline pilot and he stated “as long as you don’t have it know, you should be fine but i’m not completely sure on that”. so i did not think much of it, completed medxpress and disclosed my shoulder surgery i had two years priory, as that was the only medical “issues” i have had at all prior. I did not look upon my full medical history until after i had my medical, once again because of what i was told. I Now understand, i was needed to disclose one; an anxiety diagnosis on my record due to family issues, as well as stress i was dealing with with school. Was diagnosed prozac, and did take it on and off for a couple years. In the little research i did, i understood that prozac is an approved ssri, and i wasn’t currently taking it. I understand this is all my fault, i am not passing the blame onto anyone, i should have read the fine print. However; my question begs, is what is the likelyhood the faa will pursue legal action against me, if at all likely. Or, what is the likelyhood this will be a HIMS case?

OP here, let me also state that i am now a Private pilot, with about 80 hours. I have grounded myself over this, and am waiting/ still deciding if i am going to be able to go back to aviation, if i have to deal with all this. i do not plan to act as PIC anytime until this is all resolved

How young were you and how long ago was this diagnosis?

There is at least some moral difference in forgetting something from when you were 12 years old, 30 years ago, vs. forgetting something from when you were 18, 5 years ago.

…However; my question begs, is what is the likelyhood the faa will pursue legal action against me…
Low, especially if you are proactive about correcting the error. Administrative action is a whole different ball of wax though. Even by proactively fixing the error, the FAA could decide to take some certificate action, but that’s not a conviction or jail time.

…Or, what is the likelyhood this will be a HIMS case?
You answer is likely here:

https://www.faa.gov/ame_guide/app_process/exam_tech/item47/amd/antidepressants

@bbchien probably has better insight considering he wrote the FAA protocol for SSRIs. Would be worth engaging him to consult.

http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/how-to-start.html

How young were you and how long ago was this diagnosis?

There is at least some moral difference in forgetting something from when you were 12 years old, 30 years ago, vs. forgetting something from when you were 18, 5 years ago.
I am currently 20, i was 15 when i was diagnosed.

I am currently 20, i was 15 when i was diagnosed.

Follow TCABM's advice.

Also, this is a good lesson in always very carefully reading forms you fill out and sign. "Have you ever..." is a very broad request for information.

You were just past the 3 year window, so this sounds, on it's face, like a willful omission. The faster you get this corrected, the less damage it'll do. The extent of the damage is something you need to discuss with a HIMS doc like Dr. Bruce.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back