Backup Radios...

bnt83

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
You sure can buy some good looking equipment for not a lot of money if you are patient and watch for it. I got both these for $1k. As far as I can tell both were manufactured after 2007.

I saw a brand new in box Icom A210 com radio sell for $750 the other day. I already have one but it was tempting.

Well done, also those icom radios with the dual monitor are great!

Well done, also those icom radios with the dual monitor are great!

I really like the audio quality of the Icom. It was paired with a PS Engineering PM3000 stereo intercom but will be hooked to an 8000BT next time it flys.

What are you putting this in?

Does it really take that much to install one?

Yeah, you can get good deals on old boxes. Installation, not so much.

Audio panel with intercom is time consuming work trust me. It has more wires than any other radio (depending on the airplane) and most are shielded which adds more steps to processing them. (There is 20 shielded cables on mine)

I got so fed up with trying to get all them wires into the cheap backshells that I bought an extra set of Garmin ones that are much easier to assemble. Missing a hand on this job was very challenging.

Last edited:
Does it really take that much to install one?

In my case

58 out of 88 contacts are used on the 8000BT.

56 contacts out of 210 available on the GTN. Rack has 3 coaxes.

GI106A I'm using 22 out of 25 contacts.

19 contacts on the Icom. One Coax

Using 16 contacts on the KN53 connector. The rack has 2 coaxes.

Some of those are intended to interface with equipment I don't yet have so they will be capped and stowed for future expansion.
12 contacts are used on the KI204 connector.

Last edited:
Cost me $500 to install a set of headphone jacks in the back seat. Cost me $3000 for an audio panel and a number two comm (just the installation).

Cost me $500 to install a set of headphone jacks in the back seat. Cost me $3000 for an audio panel and a number two comm (just the installation).

I had a complete intercom already installed. I didn't feel that I could connect all those existing wires to the new connectors by cutting, stripping, crimping the tiny sub-D pins and then heat new solder sleeves on with the same level of quality as assembling a brand new harness on my desk and terminating the jacks in the airplane after the harness is pulled into place and tied up. So, brand new complete harness was made.

I had a complete intercom already installed. I didn't feel that I could connect all those existing wires to the new connectors with the tiny sub-D pins and then heat new solder sleeve on with the same level of quality as assembling a brand new harness on my desk and terminating the jacks in the airplane after the harness is pulled into place and tied up. So, brand new complete harness was made.

You dah man. I don't have these sorts of mad skills, so I hire it out. And it gets pricey fast!

You dah man. I don't have these sorts of mad skills, so I hire it out. And it gets pricey fast!

I probably have 150 hours in wire so far altogether. :redface:

Gotta stop changing equipment plans :rofl:

Came in the mail today. Fired it up with an old harness laying around. Switches are like new. Looking into the case from the rear connector hole was clean as can be.

That there was a great deal! And, I second the "nice work" sentiment as well- I should wish to do half the quality with two complete meat hooks.

Where are you sourcing your wire, connectors, etc.?

Back