backup power source. Dangerous?

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
Hello. Looking at purchasing a The GOOLOO GP4000. Looks like it would jump start and certainly be a backup power source for an iPad or Stratus receiver.
Big question... how worried should I be that this thing might blow up when stowed under the back seat? Kind of a horrible thought to have it possibly happen in flight...
Coaching is much appreciated.
dan

Big question... how worried should I be that this thing might blow up when stowed under the back seat? Kind of a horrible thought to have it possibly happen in flight...

Comments on Amazon show the seller giving 113ºF as the maximum storage temperature.

I keep a similar unit in my vehicle (and have done so for 4+yrs). I have jumped a few vehicles with it but it is not good for a completely depleted battery; it works very well to augment a very low charge state battery in vehicles with 6-8 cylinders. Most of it's use has been backup USB power. You can store it at home/hangar and put it in the plane when you are ready to go. Beaucoup Ah available.

Here in AZ temps in a closed hangar can be well above that regularly.

Don't know if we get that hot here in the hangars of Carolina but inside a closed vehicle temps will soar above that. Here a tidbit from an article:

To investigate the matter, researchers studied how long it takes different types of cars to heat up on hot days. The findings were sobering: Within 1 hour, the temperature inside of a car parked in the sun on a day that reached 95 degrees Fahrenheit (35 degrees Celsius) or hotter, hit an average of 116 degrees F (47 degrees C)

https://www.livescience.com/62651-how-hot-cars-get.html

Last edited:
I can keep it cool, and just put it in a flight bag, in and out of the airplane with me. I'm just worried about a battery getting somehow "compromised"... and deciding to blow up or catch on fire in-flight. Wondering if this probably new(er) technology is less prone to issues like this.
ALSO, main mission for this is a backup charge for iPad and Stratus GPS. Secondary mission would be to power the ice cooler on hot days and not therefore require me to plug up to the main circuit thru a cigarette lighter... doing this makes me worry too... have alot of new avionics in that panel and don't want to fry them with some weird third-party add-on gadget... might be nice to have it on a separate system.
This not to mention, the need for safety... just not a fan of any probability of an inflight fire in the back seat for some reason...
I just don't understand lithium battery systems, and they do catch on fire from time to time...
thanks for the help.

Hello. Looking at purchasing a The GOOLOO GP4000. Looks like it would jump start and certainly be a backup power source for an iPad or Stratus receiver.
Coaching is much appreciated.
dan
I have had this exact unit for years, and keep it in the flight bag. I don't let it cook in the plane un-supervised.

Great for charging phones, running the ipad, Stratus, and jumpstarting the truck and general backup accessory power.

Highly recommended, and useful in many non-aviation settings.

I keep a similar unit in my vehicle (and have done so for 4+yrs). I have jumped a few vehicles with it but it is not good for a completely depleted battery; it works very well to augment a very low charge state battery in vehicles with 6-8 cylinders.
I have a wimpy one, and this model.

This model has started my Tundra from zero on more than one occasion after I've been stupid.

Back