Backseat pilot and a fitment question

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
I had an interesting experience yesterday. I went to meet a CFI that he and I had been trying to match schedules for quite some time now. The flight was scrubbed due to ceilings. There was an opportunity for me to sit rear seat in an M20J, so I hopped in.

I had no clue who this owner/pilot was except the CFI said he was a friend and recently got his Comm ticket. That was the extent of my experience check, nevertheless it was an exercise in passenger empathy.

I recommend that before Anyone complain again about non-flying friends who won't fly with them that you should emulate my experience and you will better understand.

During the flight, the owner was encouraging the CFI to take the controls. Neither I nor the airplane cared much for that as the difference in skill was evident from my vantage point.

I also got an opportunity to see what the rear space was like on a plane that I'd consider purchasing....was OK not really great.

Then, while refueling he offered the coveted seat. I'd been a right seat passenger in a C model before and don't recall any fitment issues, but that left seat seemed tight- not much room for my left arm/shoulder.

He owner commented that there are some Js with different interior panels that may offer a little more shoulder room and that I should try them. In spite of the consolation, I was disappointed. Should I try again or change my sig?

Last edited:
The only Mooney I got to sit in was quite tight; and I was alone. I still want one but then, I'll take almost anything. You may be able to adjust but don't count on it.

Mooney's make their speed primarily through drag reduction, much of which is achieved by reducing fuselage crosssectional area. The interior room is what it is, and the only way to find out if you're comfortable is to sit in one and see. That said, Ed Guthrie isn't exactly small, and he loves his Mooney, but everyone is shaped differently, and if it doesn't work for you, there's not much to be done about it.

They also generally have less than ideal useful loads. Like, if two fellas want to take their golf clubs and hit the links on a remote course, you are really going to have to work at the W&B to make it work, unlike a 182 which would haul that without a second thought.

Depends on what it is you want. Mazda RX7's are pretty nice cars, but if four of you want to try to drive across the country in one, you're not going to like each other much when you finally get there.

I find the short-bodied Mooneys are two-people+gear+full fuel airplanes, and you can trade fuel for people.

The longer-bodied ones can be 3+gear+4hrs fuel.

I loved flying the 1998J I was a partner in, but that was usually me and occasionally one other.

What does fitment mean?

I find the short-bodied Mooneys are two-people+gear+full fuel airplanes, and you can trade fuel for people.

I've only ever really looked at the W&B of the Acclaim, which has a useful load of 1000lbs which doesn't leave much if you fill either the 100 gal tanks, or the 128 gal bonus tanks. You end up with a total 230lbs left over for pilot, passengers, and gear if you fill the long range tanks.

http://www.mooney.com/acclaim-type-s/specifications-performance-3.html

You probably don't need to carry 6 hours worth of fuel though. Or at least your bladder sure hopes not.

When we operated a bravo on charter it was never filled with more than 60 odd gallons

Most uncomfortable ride in my life was in a Mooney. Fast, fun, but not comfy by any stretch of the imagination.

I've only ever really looked at the W&B of the Acclaim, which has a useful load of 1000lbs which doesn't leave much if you fill either the 100 gal tanks, or the 128 gal bonus tanks. You end up with a total 230lbs left over for pilot, passengers, and gear if you fill the long range tanks.

http://www.mooney.com/acclaim-type-s/specifications-performance-3.html

You probably don't need to carry 6 hours worth of fuel though. Or at least your bladder sure hopes not.

A mechanic once told me a story of a guy who wanted every option available and ended up with a plane that he couldn't carry anyone in but himself
:rofl:

Most uncomfortable ride in my life was in a Mooney. Fast, fun, but not comfy by any stretch of the imagination.

It was ok from the backseat. But i'm taller than average so I had to use my imagination a bit for the sake of anyone that may ride back there. Allegedly the J had 6 inches on the C but I don't know what they did with it:dunno:

The C model I rode right seat was also fine, which is why I'm perplexed.

A mechanic once told me a story of a guy who wanted every option available and ended up with a plane that he couldn't carry anyone in but himself
This mooney we had was like this, the very thin owner could carry a briefcase with him and full fuel, but a more normal person might have to skip lunch:lol:

And what's wrong with that? ;)

This mooney we had was like this, the very thin owner could carry a briefcase with him and full fuel, buta more normal person might have to skip lunch:lol:

And what's wrong with that? ;)

Do we need to say it again?

a normal person might have to skip lunch

not judging, the range was envyable and you don't have to take full fuel

I owned an early J model for years. Typical load was me, my wife, two kids in car seats, baggage filling the footwells in the back seat and stuffed to the ceiling in the back. Full fuel. Still under gross. Speedy enough. Economical. I re-did the interior and the shop improved on the stock seats. Ron said it right. It depends on your shape as much as your size.

If kid #3 hadn't come along, I'd STILL own that airplane. Every airplane after that was somewhat disappointing.

When we operated a bravo on charter it was never filled with more than 60 odd gallons
With the efficiency of a M20J, 60 gallons is often overkill as most folks prefer to stretch their legs every 3 hours or so. A Bravo might need 60 gallons but no more unless you bring along a bottle to pee in.

He owner commented that there are some Js with different interior panels that may offer a little more shoulder room and that I should try them. In spite of the consolation, I was disappointed. Should I try again or change my sig?
The variation in interiors is one factor and another is the size/shape of the person you're sitting next to. When I fly with my wife next to me I don't feel the least bit cramped for space but with some of my 230+ lb friends things get kinda tight, especially if everyone's wearing a coat.

With the efficiency of a M20J, 60 gallons is often overkill as most folks prefer to stretch their legs every 3 hours or so. A Bravo might need 60 gallons but no more unless you bring along a bottle to pee in.

It would do trips to Minesota like that so you are correct, it was plenty of gas. The guy who owned it liked to be able to fly nonstop to southern Florida however.

Then, while refueling he offered the coveted seat. I'd been a right seat passenger in a C model before and don't recall any fitment issues, but that left seat seemed tight- not much room for my left arm/shoulder.

He owner commented that there are some Js with different interior panels that may offer a little more shoulder room and that I should try them. In spite of the consolation, I was disappointed.

Is it possible that the left seat was too far left? Is it possible to move the seat a few inches right (giving my shoulder some room)?

Is it possible that the left seat was too far left? Is it possible to move the seat a few inches right (giving my shoulder some room)?

Not likely. There isn't much room for the seats to begin with. First time I took the seats out and put back, it was a chore. You might be able to have the upholstery done to move the seating position a little bit. I flew an F model for many hours and never was too bothered. With a big person in the right seat, the manual gear could get interesting. I warn them first that I wasn't getting fresh.:eek:

If their leg was as skinny as that Johnson bar gear handle, why would you want to feel them up anyway?

Not likely. There isn't much room for the seats to begin with. First time I took the seats out and put back, it was a chore. You might be able to have the upholstery done to move the seating position a little bit. I flew an F model for many hours and never was too bothered. With a big person in the right seat, the manual gear could get interesting. I warn them first that I wasn't getting fresh.:eek:

If their leg was as skinny as that Johnson bar gear handle, why would you want to feel them up anyway?

:) My hand was on the bar. It was when they were substanially bigger than the seat/area that it was an issue. But then I might rather have skinny.:wink2:

Aircraft Cabin Width Cabin Height
Mooney 201 43.5" 44.5"
V35 Bonanza 42.0" 50.0"
Cessna 182 42.0" 48.0"
Piper Arrow 41.0" 45.0"

I fit fine in a C182, plenty of room. I think I should try another Mooney. Any volunteers?

Last edited:
Back