backing a 172 into a parking spot, probably silly question

exncsurfer

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
exncsurfer
So, I get to the destination airport, all the 'easy' tie down spots are taken, all the empty ones are 'back in'. So I pull up to a position where'd you'd use the reverse in your car to back in, and I shut down. Being my first time parking at such a place, I have no idea how to get the plane back into the spot. After some toil and having my kid step on the rudder pedal I get it mostly in position. Needless to say I felt kinda stupid, there was at least one unhelpful onlooker sitting in one of those 'easy' parking spots, probably getting a good chuckle.

I've been spoiled by the line crew at my training airport, and all other places i've been have had a guy on the ground waiving you to your pull-through spot.

So, what is the proper way to get into one of these:
upload_2016-10-24_14-39-26.png

I think I found the answer in the baggage compartment after I had done it the hard way. There was a red bar/handle thingy in there, I suspect its made for hooking to the front wheel and would allow you to push/pull/turn it. If that is it, i'll have to get someone to show me how to use that thing. Still the 172 isn't exactly light, maybe I just need to work out, do some weight training.

Use that red bar/handle thingy in the baggage area...dunno anything about your build/body type but some people may not have enough attraction to the earth to easily push around a 172. Most of us over-the-hill guys do. It does help to keep the tires properly inflated.

Use that red bar/handle thingy in the baggage area...dunno anything about your build/body type but some people may not have enough attraction to the earth to easily push around a 172. Most of us over-the-hill guys do. It does help to keep the tires properly inflated.
Yea, I'm in the 130's so not much earth attraction working for me.

But shutting down in the middle of the aisle seems less than optimal, I guess that is the only option?

This guy seems to be putting some back into it, but I see how the bar lets you steer it which was the main problem I guess.

No strike against the OP, but this is a perfect example of how some flight schools/CFIs fail their students by neglecting to cover the "practical" aspects of flying. As a CFI, I've worked with plenty of pilots who had never fueled their own airplane. Early on, I made it a point to cover some of those "practical" things with my students, such as self-serve fueling, where to park at distant FBOs, ground handling, etc.

You got through your PPL without ever touching a tow-bar? WOW!

And in the diagram you posted you should have been able to approach that spot with 1 wheel very near the grass and swing it in to the spot. Maybe a little straight back push.

You got through your PPL without ever touching a tow-bar? WOW!

And in the diagram you posted you should have been able to approach that spot with 1 wheel very near the grass and swing it in to the spot. Maybe a little straight back push.
Yep, spoiled. Thanks that is what I was looking for, some technique pointers, I was wondering if someone would try swinging it around like that. I'm not sure about picking up a tie-down rope with the prop though, is that not a concern with that method?

Towbar, pushing down in the tail to pivot the plane, careful pushing on the struts, more than a few ways to skin that cat.

No strike against the OP, but this is a perfect example of how some flight schools/CFIs fail their students by neglecting to cover the "practical" aspects of flying. As a CFI, I've worked with plenty of pilots who had never fueled their own airplane. Early on, I made it a point to cover some of those "practical" things with my students, such as self-serve fueling, where to park at distant FBOs, ground handling, etc.
Ha, I got to figure out my first self-serve fuel pump by myself on the day of my check ride, so I could get back home. I thought fueling the plane was telling the line tech, fill-er up. That pump was interesting, grounding cable, huge heavy fueling line, ladder, winch to reel it back in.

Yep, spoiled. Thanks that is what I was looking for, some technique pointers, I was wondering if someone would try swinging it around like that. I'm not sure about picking up a tie-down rope with the prop though, is that not a concern with that method?
Yup. I avoid taxiing the prop directly over a tie-down rope. Frequently it is possible to work the angles to avoid it then taxi forward to square up so the push-back is fairly straight. Mostly I don't worry about pushing the plane around a little bit since it only outweighs me by 1,700 pounds or so. If it's on ice then I worry a little bit...

Be careful about pulling in and parking and where your wings, and tail are. I watched our EAA president ding his wing and horizontal stab, trying to get into a spot. His wing tip/strobe hit a tall light pole about 4 feet behind the white fence. And his stab hit the white picket fence. He was more concerned about the plane he was pulling next too and didnt notice the obstructions. We couldnt do anything as he was turned and looking the other way. kinda sucked watching that and being like :eek::eek::mad::mad:o_O

Maybe this thread will inspire a few students to have their CFI show them how to use the tow bar. :)

Yea, I'm in the 130's so not much earth attraction working for me.
I'm 130lbs as well and pushing a 172 (even a fat tire 182) into a spot shouldn't be a problem... But I also worked on a farm and in the oilfield so maybe I'm just ornery enough to make it happen.

I thought my CFI did a good job of trying to introduce me to some of these nuances that might be taken for granted (e.g. red bar/handle thingy). In the 2 years and almost 300 hrs since I got my PPL it is amazing how many small things come up you didn't know that you needed to know.

I'm sure the tow bar will be one you will appreciate going forward. :)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Push the tail down (NOT from the stab though!!) and point the nose where you want it, and push/pull.

The only reason I learned some of that stuff was doing my last 15-20 hours or so of training in a club plane. I got to learn how to use the tow bar, hangar winch, self serve fuel pump, tie downs, how to call for fuel on UNICOM, etc. Prior to that it was all flight school planes. Park it and walk away.

Parking can sometimes be a bit of a challenge. It's worse when you land somewhere new and the lines are so faded you can't really tell where the spots are, so you sort of blunder around until you figure it out.

I've never used a tow bar, either. However, we just pushed the plane back in its spot by pushing down on the tail at the empenage/horizontal stabilizer. It doesn't take much weight at that arm so far aft the CG to get the nose wheel off of the ground in order to make small position corrections. Most any adult should be able to do it without too much fuss. I do know how to use the tow bar, but have never had reason to pull it out.

like everyone else said. putting my plane in the hangar is similar to parking in that spot. Use the tow bar to turn the wheel and get some momentum going.

I'm 130lbs as well and pushing a 172 (even a fat tire 182) into a spot shouldn't be a problem... But I also worked on a farm and in the oilfield so maybe I'm just ornery enough to make it happen.
Yea, I think I could get it done with the tow bar, my main problem was the steering.

Towbar, pushing down in the tail to pivot the plane, careful pushing on the struts, more than a few ways to skin that cat.

Isn't there a SB out there because of all the damage done due to pushing down on the ass-end of a 172? Something about putting a crack in the horizontal stab spar?

I've never used a tow bar, either. However, we just pushed the plane back in its spot by pushing down on the tail at the empenage/horizontal stabilizer. It doesn't take much weight at that arm so far aft the CG to get the nose wheel off of the ground in order to make small position corrections. Most any adult should be able to do it without too much fuss. I do know how to use the tow bar, but have never had reason to pull it out.
Maybe I'll get someone to show me this as well(as a backup), I thought about the tail, but those surfaces seem fragile and I didn't want to bend anything so I didn't try that. Even in this thread there is discrepancy, you suggest stabilizer someone else says not.

It's tricky. I find it helps to watch the tail rather than the wheels when steering.
Yea, with the tow bar I think I'd be fine, the steering I was referring to was without the tow bar. I could steer inside with the pedals(which does nothing if you're sitting still), or i could push from outside and not be able to steer the nose wheel. Which is what the tow bar solves. :)

I also heard kicking the wheel pant on the front wheel helps with steering.

Pretty sure it was Horse who told me to do that.

Thanks for all the helpful replies guys, I figured this would seem silly to all the seasoned experts.

Right after cooling the engine with the hose to make the cowling cool enough to touch right?

The cold water guy? Yea, I'll not try that one either.

Careful with your suggestions, some newbie's might not know you're joking. Darn, the wheel pant fell off!! ugh!

In either a 150 or 172 POH (I don't have either in front of me know) I'm pretty sure I saw something written about pushing down on the tail. I'll go from memory - put pressure on one of the structural areas in front of the vertical stab and not on the sheetmetal in between. Someone really needs to verify this, even though I see it done a lot.

edit:

And if you are new to using a towbar, you might be new to manually moving the prop. There may be times you'll need to swing it a little bit so the towbar can clear. MAGS OFF and be careful.

Last edited:
In either a 150 or 172 POH (I don't have either in front of me know) I'm pretty sure I saw something written about pushing down on the tail. I'll go from memory - put pressure on one of the structural areas in front of the vertical stab and not on the sheetmetal in between. Someone really needs to verify this, even though I see it done a lot.
Found this from POH:
"The minimum turning radius of the airplane, using differential
braking and nose wheel steering during taxi, is approximately 27
feet. To obtain a minimum radius turn during ground handling, the
airplane may be rotated around either main landing gear by
pressing down on a tailcone bulkhead just forward of the horizontal
stabilizer to raise the nose wheel off the ground. Care should be
exercised to ensure that pressure is exerted only on the bulkhead
area and not on skin between the bulkheads. Pressing down on the
horizontal stabilizer is not recommended."

It's tricky. I find it helps to watch the tail rather than the wheels when steering.

Also push on the prop and just steer with the tow bar.

Isn't there a SB out there because of all the damage done due to pushing down on the ass-end of a 172? Something about putting a crack in the horizontal stab spar?

You know what that stabilizer does in flight right?

A tow bar will make your life so much easier.

If that isn't an option, park the airplane as close to the spot as possible and then you can pivot the nosewheel by pushing down on the inboard horizonal stabilizer. If you haven't been taught this either. Get one kid on the left strut and get the other on the right and you grab the prob in a horizontal position and push the airplane by the nose.

Too bad there isn't reverse prop...;)

If you push in the correct spot it wont hurt it a bit.

The practical aspect of flying isn't taught as much as it should be.

I hired a brand-new CFI that came from a large puppy mill flight school in the early 90's. At the time I owned an FBO.

He came in from a x-c flight with a student late in the evening & I told him that the hanger where we kept our 182 was full with a transient aircraft so just to tie it down. He gave me a puzzled look & asked if I could show him how to tie down an airplane because he'd never done it before.

At our school the student's arn't allowed to tow, fuel or add oil to the plane. I agree with you.

At our school the student's arn't allowed to tow, fuel or add oil to the plane. I agree with you.
Funny, in my school I was paid to do all those things as well as washing airplanes. Good part time job from the flight school.

They like to play the conservative parent. What's going to happen when you get out on your own? Learning to fly is more than just being able to fly the airplane.

During my training the FBO full-serviced the rentals. I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure I told my CFI I wanted to learn how to fuel, I can't remember if we ever did or not. I DO remember doing an XC to a sleepy airport and wanting to top off so I could learn how to do it on my own. I pulled up to the self-serve and the airport manager was desperate for someone to talk to so he wandered on over to chat. He insisted on fueling the plane for me. I explained what I was trying to do and got lessons from him.

Back