Backcountry 182, water assisted landing.

motoadve

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
motoadve
Always wanted to do this, found the right place to do it ,very shallow water , about 4 inches and not long in between gravel bars.

Wow looks sketchyyy

I didn't see any bush tires? Hopefully his insurance is paid up. One of these times it may not work out for him.

Looks like a lot of debris in the water. Even on the landing there are branches pretty close by.

Uh, wow.

I would really love to do more bush flying in my 182, but I think that is well above my risk tolerance threshold.

I feel like that will not work out so well if done a bunch of times.

This is how I did it.
Im not a reckless pilot by any means.

This whole gravel bar had a section covered in water.
I landed it first on the gravel bar, the dry part,to inspect the section of it that was covered in water, it was very shallow and flat.
Perfect condition to do it, so went and did it, water depth no more than 4 inches, its a trike, no water skiing for me
icon_e_surprised.gif
, just couple of seconds of hydroplaning and do a splash assisted landing, which actually was lots of fun
icon_e_smile.gif
and yes even that shallow the splash was bigger than anticipated, it made for a great shot though.
2thumbs.gif

O.K, not chastising anyone, just take precautions & be careful. I hate to see bent up airframes, and bodies.

...just couple of seconds of hydroplaning...
I didn't see anything that looked like hydroplaning, and I can't imagine that a 182 with VGs would be going fast enough with the stall horn blaring to hydroplane.

I don't understand why it's necessary... if the runway is short enough you have to lose speed with an arresting device, won't you need a catapult to leave?

I have never done a water assist landing on purpose....:thumbsup::lol::lol:

Off airport landings are not inherently dangerous as long as precautions are taken.

I have never damaged an aircraft doing off airport work.

Back