Back to Oshkosh, but not in a good way

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
I have to attend a funeral in Kiel, WI on Monday, and the plan is to fly out on Sunday to KATW (where hotel is available).

On the way out we'll probably cross the lake between MKG and FAH. I've done this before, and in the summer with life jackets in fair weather I consider it an acceptable risk.

However, I'd like to get any input on alternative routings going around the south of the lake IFR. Is it possible to get through Chicago airspace or should I plan on going around? If I have to go around I think I might prefer going up north, just because of my antipathy towards Chicago.

So, if you've got any routing that works say between OSH and CGT, I'd be grateful.

KELSI intersection. Unless you can go above 15 or 16 K you will not go over chicago. and if you can go that high you might as well go over the lake.

Tim, If you can accept a short VFR segment of your journey, I believe it's relatively simple to use the VFR corridor along the shoreline near Chicago. Honestly though, I've never used it and have gone IFR through Chicago once and won't do it again. This year we went IFR along V510 (MKG - FAH). Good Luck and sorry to hear about your travel reasons.

If you don't want to do the lake, go VFR and cancel FF with South Bend Approach, and fly 10.5 over ORD. Make sure to extend a middle finger as you fly over.

If you don't want to do the lake, go VFR and cancel FF with South Bend Approach, and fly 10.5 over ORD. Make sure to extend a middle finger as you fly over.

That'll work for VFR.

IFR file to EON then to DPA. Expect 3000MSL if you get that. Expect to be swung out west.

If you can do VFR around Chicago cancel IFR and VFR around then pick up a new clearance up by 3CK.

That'll work for VFR.

IFR file to EON then to DPA. Expect 3000MSL if you get that. Expect to be swung out west.

If you can do VFR around Chicago cancel IFR and VFR around then pick up a new clearance up by 3CK.

I'm thinking of filing CGT-JOT-JVL at 6000, is that doable? Or is there an LOA that keeps everyone farther south?

I'm thinking of filing CGT-JOT-JVL at 6000, is that doable? Or is there an LOA that keeps everyone farther south?
The LOA will send you to EON RV JOT and then north bound. Once center hands me off near EON I can usually get direct JOT a few miles sooner than having to go all the way to EON. CGT is used for ORD arrivals so unlikely you would get it. I never have in all the times I have filled.

Also 6k will make you have to go far to the west. Depending on what runway at ORD is active expect 4k or 3k if you want to be near Chicago.

Tim, if you overfly the lake consider going direct to YULNU then over to ATW. This adds a whopping 6nm to your trip and keeps you closer to the shore (22nm from shore at the furthest point). Depending on what you're flying, it may be possible to climb high enough to maintain the ability to glide to shallow water. The issue with crossing the lake is that if you go in, even in summer, the chances of surviving are small as the water is always cold and rescue will take hours at best. Fortunately the chances of going in are very small as well, but it really is betting your life on the engine when you are beyond gliding range from shore. If you find that risk acceptable (many do) that's OK but minimizing the risk by crossing at a narrow point and/or watching for freighters on the lake is prudent.

As to the IFR routing around ORD, you can pretty much expect Peotone VOR (EON) and the KELSI intersection to be included and that will add about 130 nm to your trip. The VFR Chicago shoreline route will add about 60 nm to the great circle route.

Back