back online again from home (I hate computers)

mikea said:
Uh, huh. It turned out that "any day now" is TODAY.

Except with Steve Jobs, when Apple announces a new product you can order it as soon as he mentions it. As in NOW for the new iBooks and Mac Minis.
I wasn't referring to vaporware or phantom products. I was referring to the marketing campaigns for new products that are constantly coming out.

Think about it: do you really NEED all of the processing power available on today's new computers? I have a two year old laptop with 2.8GHz, 1Gb RAM, 80Gb HDD, DVD-R/CD-R and 64Mb video. I haven't found anything that really drags on this thing yet. FS2004 still does just fine on it, even with all of the graphics turned up.

Brian Austin said:
I wasn't referring to vaporware or phantom products. I was referring to the marketing campaigns for new products that are constantly coming out.

Think about it: do you really NEED all of the processing power available on today's new computers? I have a two year old laptop with 2.8GHz, 1Gb RAM, 80Gb HDD, DVD-R/CD-R and 64Mb video. I haven't found anything that really drags on this thing yet. FS2004 still does just fine on it, even with all of the graphics turned up.

Oh, I agree

One problem that Intel, HP, et, all, have is that, other than with multimedia creation, Microsoft, and the other software houses aren't making the programs demanding enough fast enough to keep with the power in the hardware. We're telling clients that a new 2 CPU server will give MORE power than the 4 CPU server of a few years ago they think they need. That's bad for Intel's sales.

Brian the Technically Behind The Times said:
YES, I DO!!!

(Mainly because I do both development work and play intense games on my computers) ;)

I am not a gamer, in fact, I cannot stand them. So I will likely be fine with what I've got for a long long time. I hope.

Greebo said:
YES, I DO!!!

(Mainly because I do both development work and play intense games on my computers) ;)
Gaming is about the only thing that pushes computers to their limit. I pretty much stopped playing years ago when I realized that the world was passing me by. The divorce probably helped with that, too. ;)

Development compiling just takes time, period. I don't think there is a huge increase in productivity between a 2.8 to a 3.4GHz with 2Gb of RAM.

mikea said:
Oh, I agree

One problem that Intel, HP, et, all, have is that, other than with multimedia creation, Microsoft, and the other software houses aren't making the programs demanding enough fast enough to keep with the power in the hardware. We're telling clients that a new 2 CPU server will give MORE power than the 4 CPU server of a few years ago they think they need. That's bad for Intel's sales.

Yeah, but we're still making money. People keep coming up with needs for more power, so they still buy a bunch of those faster, more powerful, CPUs. Keeps me in flying money, anyway. :D

Brian Austin said:
Whatever. There is ALWAYS something new around the corner. If you're always waiting for the biggest, baddest, fastest, you'll never end up getting one.
Absotively, posilutly!!! There are only 2 kinds of computers - experimental and obsolete. The experimental computer you buy today is obsolete tomorrow...

mikea said:
Oh, I agree

I for one applaud microsoft for not putting out another crap operating system (windows ME ring a bell). If they take their time they will produce another good operating system even if they have to steal it from apple again :).

As for all you apple people out there I'm guessing that within the next few years they will start selling their software to pc guys like my self to load up. Apple is already testing Intel processors for their next generation of personal computers (the next g5 laptop will probably have an intel processor not ibm). They are predicting that future generations of apple computers could run both windows and their own software (dual boot).

Last edited:
Greebo said:
hmmm...

Of all the package brands out there, the one I DON'T recommend is Compaq...

Sorry. :( I don't like how they do business and I don't like how they bundle their computers.

Dell or Gateway now -- or Alien - good companies. :)

I have to agree!

NOT a fan of compaq/hp but mainly because of the quality both companies were putting out a few years ago...has been better since the companies combined (bad + bad = good :dunno: I do like hp printers though)

lets see I saw some power supplies that should have been used on a alarm clock, processors that did not have thermal paste, expansion slots (pci) that needed to be hammered out (non replaceable), etc etc.

They are much better now but it will take me awhile to come around.

woodstock said:
I've already got it picked out. ya'll will likely laugh at me, but I'm pretty happy with the package and it's under 1200 bucks. all I do is email and websurf and my photo stuff - and even that isn't hugely involved.

it's a compaq presario R4000 with a bunch of bells and whistles on it.

Elizabeth,

I know I'm biased, but my brother works for HP, into which Compaq was uncomfortably subsumed a couple of years ago, and I sure wouldn't buy a Compaq. The problem with these kinds of brands is they sound great and all the bells and whistles are cheaper....and you get what you pay for.

OK, I'll shut up now with the unasked-for advice.

Judy

woodstock said:
thanks Chris. your laptop for a grand intrigues me. we priced out a Compaq (Hp?) for about 1150 which seems to have what you described above, actually maybe 60 gigs (at 5400). only 15.4 in screen. how much does yours weigh? the one I looked at was 6.5 pounds.

I'm back to thinking I should ditch the desktop entirely, again. not keep it as a "spare". I'm not a computer geek like my friend Mark is, he has tons of computers and a few laptops on top of it.

The computer I have 9300 is large and heavy ~8 pounds. I really wanted the large screen though and was totally worth it for me (I don't carry it in a backpack all day...two locations I use it) I also used to have a dell 6000 two months ago that has a 15.4 inch screen like the one you are describing above.

In my opinion $1200 is getting on the high side for a laptop unless is has 1-2 gigs of memory. A dell 6000 would be about 800-850 for how you configured it above (during their monthly deals $1500 computer for $750)

Man I feel like I work for dell...imo just go to dealcatcher.com/techbargains.com/ecoupons.com and see which companies are having good deals.

judypilot said:
Elizabeth,

I know I'm biased, but my brother works for HP, into which Compaq was uncomfortably subsumed a couple of years ago, and I sure wouldn't buy a Compaq. The problem with these kinds of brands is they sound great and all the bells and whistles are cheaper....and you get what you pay for.

OK, I'll shut up now with the unasked-for advice.

Judy

hey, thanks! no worries, I haven't bought anything yet and don't need to run out tomorrow for it. all input appreciated, from everyone!!

Iceman said:
As for all you apple people out there I'm guessing that within the next few years they will start selling their software to pc guys like my self to load up. Apple is already testing Intel processors for their next generation of personal computers (the next g5 laptop will probably have an intel processor not ibm).

Not new news. However, they will NOT be selling Mac OS for installation on run-of-the-mill hardware. Not soon, and probably not ever. Keep dreaming though. :rofl

They are predicting that future generations of apple computers could run both windows and their own software (dual boot).

This is more than a prediction. Apple already announced that they will NOT do anything to the new "Macintel" machines to keep them from running windows. Now it's just up to M$ to actually support it. What would be even cooler is if M$ comes out with a new version of Virtual PC that simply runs Windows as an application under OS X. Then you wouldn't need dual-boot and you wouldn't have to wait for a reboot to use Windows. Though why anyone would want to is beyond me... :confused:

flyingcheesehead said:
Not new news. However, they will NOT be selling Mac OS for installation on run-of-the-mill hardware. Not soon, and probably not ever. Keep dreaming though. :rofl

This is more than a prediction. Apple already announced that they will NOT do anything to the new "Macintel" machines to keep them from running windows.

I agree that they will probably not allow installation on run-of-the-mill hardware but if the architecture is so close that windows can run on the hardware without much trouble people will find a way to do the opposite with a little hack on certain motherboards that were designed to make it easy.

Iceman said:
In my opinion $1200 is getting on the high side for a laptop unless is has 1-2 gigs of memory. A dell 6000 would be about 800-850 for how you configured it above (during their monthly deals $1500 computer for $750)

Here's a good deal if you can find it.

Frank Browne said:
Here's a good deal if you can find it.

As long as the hardware requirements on your software says "and Tandy." There was a reason for that additional statement on the packaging in some cases.

Iceman said:
I agree that they will probably not allow installation on run-of-the-mill hardware but if the architecture is so close that windows can run on the hardware without much trouble people will find a way to do the opposite with a little hack on certain motherboards that were designed to make it easy.

Not so easy as it may sound. Apple's standard MO which will be continued is to use their own chipset. On any Mac you can find a large Apple-designed ASIC. Unless you can get one of those on your board, you're not likely to be running Mac OS on it. There used to be a "Mac Clone" way back in the day, a luggable IIRC, before the original Mac Portable. You had to take the motherboard out of a Mac Plus to make it work.

A few hacksters might find a way, but it won't be anything easy enough for the mainstream. Besides, Apple builds good hardware... Why not buy it?

flyingcheesehead said:
Not so easy as it may sound. Apple's standard MO which will be continued is to use their own chipset. On any Mac you can find a large Apple-designed ASIC. Unless you can get one of those on your board, you're not likely to be running Mac OS on it. There used to be a "Mac Clone" way back in the day, a luggable IIRC, before the original Mac Portable. You had to take the motherboard out of a Mac Plus to make it work.

A few hacksters might find a way, but it won't be anything easy enough for the mainstream. Besides, Apple builds good hardware... Why not buy it?
Moving to Intel changes things, though. Now they can go to OEM motherboard manufacturers and order directly from them, chipset and all.

The move to Intel was to save money and improve the upgrade path. I'll bet it continues with more motherboard integration as well.

Besides, if a bunch of hardware hacks can write drivers for Linux, what makes you think that it can't be done for OSX? Linux drivers aren't a big deal anymore, even the custom ones.

yet another update:

it's definitely gotta be heat related somehow. (thanks to those who've mentioned this) I've kept it turned off and haven't seen my friend yet to give it to him nor have I researched more laptop stuff. on occasion I will turn it on. it works fine for a while, then I walk away (leaving it on) and it shuts itself off eventually. if I leave it off long enough it's fine, if I try to restart it freezes.

still sick of dealing with it though.

Liz: Did you check the fans? How squeemish are you about opening up the computer?

You want to make sure that CPU fan is running at full speed and is properly mounted, that the case fans ensure flow THROUGH the computer, not just into it (I usually have two fans blowing in and 1 blowing out), and that the various card slots are not too close together.

I had a real problem for a while with video card heat until I installed a pci slot fan.

woodstock said:
on occasion I will turn it on. it works fine for a while, then I walk away (leaving it on) and it shuts itself off eventually. if I leave it off long enough it's fine, if I try to restart it freezes.

That just screams overheat somewhere and the system is protecting itself from thermal damage.

Air has to go in AND out of the case. Make sure you don't have too many fans venting out otherwise you can slow or reverse the airflow though other openings (like the power supply which you don't want overheating either - I've seen it done)

CPU fan (and any fan on the video board) needs to be running. In this overheat debugging situation they need to be running full speed and blowing down on the processor. How big is your CPU heatsink fan? Standard case size fan or one of those tiny black ones? You want big and blowing like a F5 tornado. A big whopping heatsink does wonders.

CPU heatsink must be sitting on the processor properly otherwise it's useless. Some heatsinks are fairly easy to install incorrectly at an angle or lifted.

If you don't have the heatsink compound between the heatsink and processor, pull it off and put it on. If the heatsink was previously pulled off, you really should put new compound on there just to make sure it's done right. Use a very thin layer of compound, NOT gunking it up which will be counterproductive. Closer to gear oil thickness on a steel plate vs overdone jelly sandwich on bread.

Is there any chance you have software that can monitor the motherboard and most importantly the CPU temperature? Also depending on the system you can set the temp protection limits in BIOS. It's possible that the limits are set too low. (If you have the BIOS temp limits option, DO NOT set it high unless you know what you're doing and know that this is not an actual overtemp situation)

I could be wrong but I keep thinking you have a dirt cheap repair that'll make the problem go away.

Back