Back into REAL flying!

Swede

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Swede
Hey all, New Guy here, just registered, wanted to say hi, and I am definitely looking for opinions on one topic in particular. I'll try to be brief...

I was USAF in 1984. The entire extent of my piston flying was in a beat-up T-41 (C172) prior to pilot training. In those days, pilots started immediately in the twin jet T-37 "Tweet" with ancient centrifugal flow compressors. WW2 stuff. Anyhow, had a fine career, went to the airlines. 30+ years later, I have umpteen thousand hours, but it's all jet.

6 years ago, we moved to an airpark. I bought a basket-case 1966 Citabria. It sat there until November of last year, when an 85 year old neighbor came by and said "Let's rebuild it." Months of labor and massive $$ followed.

She's done! New metal wings, big engine (it's now a 7GCAA) new everything. Nice leather smell inside. All that awaits is a final inspection and sign off.

So there's my story - I can't WAIT to actually bank more than 30 degrees; and maybe pull more than 1.4 G's :D I have a lot of "re-learning" to do, I haven't flown VFR in 25 years!

My Q: I still don't have insurance, I need to do this NOW. I don't know jack about GA insurance, and would truly appreciate hints, tips, and recommendations to do this properly. I DID use the search feature, that's standard forum etiquette, but found little. Maybe I did it wrong. :redface:

Thanks!

Hey all, New Guy here, just registered, wanted to say hi, and I am definitely looking for opinions on one topic in particular. I'll try to be brief...

I was USAF in 1984. The entire extent of my piston flying was in a beat-up T-41 (C172) prior to pilot training. In those days, pilots started immediately in the twin jet T-37 "Tweet" with ancient centrifugal flow compressors. WW2 stuff. Anyhow, had a fine career, went to the airlines. 30+ years later, I have umpteen thousand hours, but it's all jet.

6 years ago, we moved to an airpark. I bought a basket-case 1966 Citabria. It sat there until November of last year, when an 85 year old neighbor came by and said "Let's rebuild it." Months of labor and massive $$ followed.

She's done! New metal wings, big engine (it's now a 7GCAA) new everything. Nice leather smell inside. All that awaits is a final inspection and sign off.

So there's my story - I can't WAIT to actually bank more than 30 degrees; and maybe pull more than 1.4 G's :D I have a lot of "re-learning" to do, I haven't flown VFR in 25 years!

My Q: I still don't have insurance, I need to do this NOW. I don't know jack about GA insurance, and would truly appreciate hints, tips, and recommendations to do this properly. I DID use the search feature, that's standard forum etiquette, but found little. Maybe I did it wrong. :redface:

Thanks!

Call AOPA insurance, start there , see what they have to say. It worked for me, I hope it works for you .

Cheers

Lots of good brokers around. Don't give them your N number until you've decided who to use because they can lock out other brokers from getting quotes from the particular underwriter they are working with.

Good underwriters? I've never filed a claim with the aircraft so it's difficult for me to say. Maybe others here will share good/bad experiences with claims.

DON'T GIVE THE N NUMBER TO A BROKER!

I've had good luck with True Course av insurance in Westlake Village CA.

www.true-course.com

AOPA insurance came in with the highest quote, and the worst coverage(it's not AOPA direct, they just sub it out).

Oh - welcome.

Yeah, do NOT call AOPA insurance. You can, but the quote will be slow and noncompetitive. I use these guys, not out of any specific loyalty, but they're fast and customer-centric. Owner is a prior-CFII. Quotes for both of my planes have been competitive:

http://www.aimofohio.com/

AVEMCO is also a good company to call, they write their own insurance.

https://www.avemco.com

Another good source is Air Power insurance, they are a broker but a very good one, I got my insurance for my amphib through them.

http://www.airpowerinsurance.com

How many tailwheel hours do you have?

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I don't understand how giving then an N number would throw a wrench into the works. For example, if I do an online quote, it asks specifically for it... how does that give them the power to keep me from doing it again on a competitor's web site? Would the 2nd agency say "sorry, I can't give you a quote?" That's hogwash if true.

Liability - We could survive the loss of this hull, but if I taxi into a brand new Gulfstream... ouch. Wondering how much most guys go for.

Thanks for the tips so far, time to start shopping.

Thanks guys! I don't understand how giving then an N number would throw a wrench into the works. For example, if I do an online quote, it asks specifically for it... how does that give them the power to keep me from doing it again on a competitor's web site? Would the 2nd agency say "sorry, I can't give you a quote?" That's hogwash if true.

Liability - We could survive the loss of this hull, but if I taxi into a brand new Gulfstream... ouch. Wondering how much most guys go for.

When I was shopping for insurance for my plane I had a quote from airpower, I was also told to check with someone else, when I called he said since I was already quoted from airpower with the same insurance company this other broker couldn't get me his "better deal". Yeah it's hogwash, but that's insurance.

Thanks!

Welcome! I suspect you're going to have a ball flying the Citabria. As for insurance, call the usual suspects, Avemco, Nation Air, etc. There might be a type-specific owners group that has a relationship with a particular insurance company. You could look into that.

Enjoy!

DON'T GIVE THE N NUMBER TO A BROKER!

I've had good luck with True Course av insurance in Westlake Village CA.

www.true-course.com

AOPA insurance came in with the highest quote, and the worst coverage(it's not AOPA direct, they just sub it out).

Oh - welcome.

First welcome to POA and I love your story! Great to hear after all that airline flying your still passionate about GA. Stick around the board and learn and contribute.

I also second the suggestion for True Course Aviation Insurance. Ask for Alejandro Guilotta. He is fantastic, honest and helpful!

For example, if I do an online quote, it asks specifically for it... how does that give them the power to keep me from doing it again on a competitor's web site? Would the 2nd agency say "sorry, I can't give you a quote?" That's hogwash if true.

Yes it is, but as you'll discover there's a lot of "quirks" in GA.

Maybe you can get slightly higher limits with your time, but $1MM liability is the standard limit. Not enough to cover a trashed Gulfstream or the guy riding in back.

Well, maybe you have a flawed understanding of how insurance works. You are not talking to the person who has the business of maintaining a financial equity to sustain a loss or losses. Like most other businesses you are talking to a salesman, who contacts an underwriter(mfg) of the product for sale. If two brokers use the same underwriter, the underwriter will not give each broker the exact same price for the product(policy) offered. So, the underwriter is telling it's salesmen(brokers) that they will not process two quotes on the same plane for two or more different brokers.

Once you accept that insurance is basically a scam, and that you are simply the jmoke providing the input to the scam, it gets a lot easier. Their job it to maximize what they can get from you, while minimizing their exposure to loss. One way to do this is to highly and artificially restrict the access to the product so that you are limited in your choice of underwriters. But don't worry, your govt insurance licensing crats have given their full support for this kind of anti-competitive behavior, so it's all good.

The only one who is self-insured that I'm aware of is AVEMCO. I believe they are actually a re-insurer, rather than a broker in that they lay off some of their liability on other investors for a price.

I got my insurance through EAA. They have some extra benefits for members.

I got mine through Falcon. They've done me right for 2 planes over 20 years.

Welcome,and congrats on the plane,have had good luck with aopa and avemco.

Sweet! I bet you have a blast, a real good time. . .Get some dual, though; the experience in big iron doesn't translate (and vice versa, of course) . . .watched a F-16 pilot lose a fight with a tail dragger; no harm done, beyond a wingtip and an ego, so it was all good in the end. . .

Welcome to PoA!

Many of us are in your sub-region of D/FW. So hit us up if you ever want to host a hangar flying session at a local eatery or bar.

Another +1 vote for Avemco. I have used a few others over the years, but they have been the best. I also don't like the principle that all others are just middlemen; Avemco are the real deal and live and breathe aviation.

Swede,

I have a Citabria and went through USAA who uses the Falcon Ins office in San Antonio as their broker.

I have been VERY satisfied with their service and prices.

I do instruction in my 1974 7ECA and the Falcon guys found me a
surprisingly reasonable quote through an underwriter called London Aviation Underwriters. They are very familiar with tailwheel aircraft and are not afraid to insure them.

Being former military I'm sure you are very familiar with USAA and their excellent service to our veterans.

Good luck.

Welcome and congratulations on what sounds like a great career. I have only owned for two years and use AOPA.

Another +1 vote for Avemco. I have used a few others over the years, but they have been the best. I also don't like the principle that all others are just middlemen; Avemco are the real deal and live and breathe aviation.

Yes, Avemco. Been with them almost fourty years, eight aircraft. Excellent service! You can have just hangar insurance in the winter months for instance, which reduces your yearly rate considerably. Ask for brian. There's cheaper but youve seen that movie. They paid off a hangar collapse ( snow storm) on my airplane, full amount , in ten days. That Citabria sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck!

Last edited:
He's gone.

Prolly read a few more threads and hit the airport.

Welcome Swede. Lots of us military and airline guys on the forum. Welcome back to the real flying!

When I was shopping for insurance for my plane I had a quote from airpower, I was also told to check with someone else, when I called he said since I was already quoted from airpower with the same insurance company this other broker couldn't get me his "better deal". Yeah it's hogwash, but that's insurance.

There has to be some Antitrust Law violations going on here. Or not. Same insurance company, just different brokers probably makes it legal.

Lawyers????

Welcome to POA!! You can't put that much time and money into something and not let us see it.

:needpics:

He's gone.

Prolly read a few more threads and hit the airport.

Nooo, still here. :D

To wrap this up - I went with AIM of Ohio. Good people, excellent quote. Got the insurance locked up, and am ready to go. The insurance does require a certain amount of instruction, which I expected.

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

Welcome to POA!! You can't put that much time and money into something and not let us see it.

:needpics:

Pics coming soon. This thing was a true labor of love, like any other rebuild project, or experimental. I had little idea of the amount of work involved, but I do now. Accepting a shipment of brand new metal wings in a gigantic crate in the middle of an ice storm was quite a trip.

We started in November, 2014, and finished this month, Sep 2015. Engine is an O-320 overhauled by Poplar Grove Airmotive in Illinois. :)

Glad you're back, looks like a ton of fun. I have a lot of hours in a 7KCAB, and 8KCAB, and also 7ECA. Good stable planes, and easy to land for a TW. I can't tell but if you don't have harnesses get them from Wag Aero or another vendor. Real piece of mind just in case.

Back