Back in the Saddle, ahhhh, left seat again...

weoxstan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
weoxstan
I need some guidance...
I got my ticket back in the early-nineties then went off to college, chased my wife around until she said yes, got married, etc... Flying fell to the side for many years but I have not stopped looking up every time a hear a plane flying overhead.
About three years ago she paid for me to get current and I took her up a couple of times. Not long after that she told me I was going to be a dad and, guess what fell to the side again? Or little guy has been around for 19 months and I am ready to get back up there now and would like to get my multi rating. The problem is that I am so rusty that I don't feel that starting multi training is the best thing until I am back on top of the SEL rating.

Any suggestions on where to start?

Last edited:
Tell us more about your experience. What have you flown, hours, instruments, etc. That would make it easier to help.

Ernie

Sorry, should have known to put in more info. Here it is.

Looking in logbook:

Started training in Aug of 1991
Solo'ed in Sept '91
Got My ticket in June '92
Last flight before going off to College was in Oct of '92
Total hours 78.5

Got current in August of 2006
Last flight before baby was June of 2007
Total hours to date: 85.2

Most of the time is in a Cessna 172, some in PA28-140

Jeff

Last edited:
Why do you want a multi rating?

With just 85 hours, wouldn't it make sense to spend more time flying a single? If you want another rating, could you consider an instrument rating, that would be useful no matter what you fly? The big drawback is that it's work-intensive-- takes time and lots of skull-sweat, but by the time you finish, you're going to be proficient! And to keep it current, you'll have to fly enough to stay proficient, even if you don't do much flying inside clouds. And living in Michigan, you'll find that makes a huge difference in how often you CAN fly.

Wayne
I would like the multi because the local CFI flies a Baron and I could get some time for free/low low cost with him.

Amelia
You are right that the instrument training would get me proficient... No questions there. On that note, I have started instrument training but the CFII I was flying with got an airline job and has since moved on. The rental that was available has been sold, so now I don't have the option to continue, well at least there. Maybe I should look into it at another location.

A multi rating by itself is typically a ways off from where you currently are. If you want to get back into training, I'd work on the instrument rating. It is far more useful, and a good stepping stone. You should get yourself more proficient in SEL before trying to step up, especially since I'm guessing you don't even have your complex. The multi rating is not hard, but since you're dealing with a second engine as well as a complex aircraft, you should be proficient in complex aircraft first.

However if the local CFI is an MEI and instructs you in the Baron, you can still the log the hours, and that may be of value to you. Just tagging along in the right seat and getting the exposure is good for you. I routinely try to bring friends along for trips in the Aztec.

That said, it also sounds like you have your priorities in line for someone who's married with a young kid. Working towards an instrument, commercial, multi, etc. over the course of the next few years that you can do slowly and then be something you can do with your son (guessing son since you said "little guy") seems like a good idea.

Stan, unless you are the reincarnation of some WWII Fighter Ace, with 85 hours total you are simply not ready for a Baron... This is not an insult, just a statement of fact...
Things happen fast in a complex multi... Best you build time in a complex single, do some cross country flights of at least a 1000 miles, learn to deal with ATC, learn what it is to cross a couple of weather fronts on a single flight, finish that IR in the complex single, then consider the upgrade to a multi engine by first getting some time in a Seneca, or Aztec, etc. before finally taking on a Baron..
Consider this just a word of advice from an old pilot...

denny-o

BTW Stan, I am near Saginaw and keep Fat Albert at Browne (HYX)... I would cheerfully meet with you at some airport for a coffee...

Cheers,
denny-o

Barons are fun, but they can be a handful, and IMO the rating is of little value once acquired due to insurance and cost to fly. I agree with the others, the instrument rating and experience in complex singles is far more valuable. Stated differently, I'll normally take a highly-experienced pilot with fewer ratings over a highly-rated pilot with very little experience.

Wayne
I would like the multi because the local CFI flies a Baron and I could get some time for free/low low cost with him.

Amelia
You are right that the instrument training would get me proficient... No questions there. On that note, I have started instrument training but the CFII I was flying with got an airline job and has since moved on. The rental that was available has been sold, so now I don't have the option to continue, well at least there. Maybe I should look into it at another location.

Take it easy and make sure you are proficient before you start out on your own again. It took me about 6 months of practice (~25hours) to get comfortable again in my Dad's plane (Cherokee 6), before I took my BFR after 13 years off.

I agree that you should be looking a high-perf singles, an IR, and a bunch of x-country time. The x-country will really make you appreciate the IR.

Finally you should check out the economics. Insurance for a Baron is proabably unobtainable, no matter how much you are willing to spend. I doubled the premium on the Cherokee when I was added (75 hours PIC in type). Also Barons burn a lot of gas quickly. I'm assuming that your CFI is not going to cover the gas when you are working on your ticket, so you might as well rent a 182 or something; it'll be cheaper.

A pilot here took his private training in a C310 he'd purchased. He had no problem going all the way to ATP with it. He did, however, have to do a SEL checkride separately, which was a bit humorous at the time.

Your ability to fly a complex aircraft has more to do with your personal skill set than any one else's opinion. How you go about acquiring that skill set is up to you.

Thank you all for the responses. You all have given me some good advise and I have called another "local" airport and set up a time to meet with the CFII. Not sure yet if I am going to go for the IR first or get proficient first.

As for the multi rating, I found out that there is an Aztec available, but I think the IR is by far the better choice.

I agree with most every one else. Get current and start working on the instrument. If you are at Mt Pleasant, check out Pat Sisco at Midland. I did my instrument with him. I think he is a very good instructor and his students come out the other end of their training as good pilots. He also instructed a friend of mine for his multi-engine in a Baron, and he has instructed in tailwheel, and has experience in mountain flying.

Barb(at Gladwin)

Barb,

Yeah, I am in the Mt. Pleasant area. I will give Pat a call and see if I can sit down with him and have a chat. The tailwheel cert has interested me for years but first things first. Get current and safe...

Jeff

Barb,

Yeah, I am in the Mt. Pleasant area. I will give Pat a call and see if I can sit down with him and have a chat. The tailwheel cert has interested me for years but first things first. Get current and safe...

Jeff
+4 Work on the instrument rating and build some hours. There will be time to consider the multi stuff later.
I will be in Michigan (Traverse City) tomorrow to work on my multi rating. I have about 900 hours, though.

If all of your single time was in Beech planes, then the Baron would be fine. It's more complicated, moves faster, and would be challenging but doable.

If your single time was in anything else (ie Cessna high wing), then you'll spend more time acclimating to the Beech look and feel than relearning how to fly and navigate at the same time.

Consider minimally 15 hours for complex, 15 hours for higher speed, 15 hours for multi, and 15 hours for a different manufacturer than you're used to. Thrown on top the 15 hours to get back in the saddle. Then add in ground time for each of these, which is 1x to 3x depending on how your brain works.

Remember it's 100 hours in type before solo pilot accident rated drop off. It's best to refresh in what you plan on flying most over the next couple of years.

Get your ME rating. Why not? Hobbies are supposed to be fun, and if that sounds like a fun challenge to you, then go for it! Other people can only tell you what they would do, but they can't tell you what you should be doing for fun.

-Felix

Maybe I'm odd man out here, but I'd suggest something different. I had almost the exact same experience. Got license, then went to college. Got current then had kid. Got current, then promoted and moved. I always told people I was current, I just wasn't safe. Finally, around 30, I had the luxury of really getting back into flying.

All that said, I'd say get safe and current, then spend some time doing cross-country with the family. From where you are, you could do Mackinac Island, the falls, Cleveland Burke, Chicago, Oshkosh, etc. Spend the next year or two flying for fun and love. Get the wife and kid hooked ... what's the next adventure this weekend??? A dozen or so summer cross-countries in the mid-west will get you really comfortable looking at the forecasts. In the winter, when you finally get a nice day to fly, you'll be excited about a $100 hamburger, not frustrated you're so rusty on your IR since you haven't flown for 3 weeks.

Don't worry about a rating, get it so that flying is a standard part of your life and the right ratings will follow. Instead of trying to find and instructor, at some point in the near future, you will meet the right instructor and the rating will just make sense.

off soap box

All that said, I'd say get safe and current, then spend some time doing cross-country with the family. From where you are, you could do Mackinac Island, the falls, Cleveland Burke, Chicago, Oshkosh, etc. Spend the next year or two flying for fun and love. Get the wife and kid hooked ... what's the next adventure this weekend??? A dozen or so summer cross-countries in the mid-west will get you really comfortable looking at the forecasts. In the winter, when you finally get a nice day to fly, you'll be excited about a $100 hamburger, not frustrated you're so rusty on your IR since you haven't flown for 3 weeks.

Don't worry about a rating, get it so that flying is a standard part of your life and the right ratings will follow. Instead of trying to find and instructor, at some point in the near future, you will meet the right instructor and the rating will just make sense.

off soap box

Very, very good point. I totally understand where you are coming from. Just get back in the air and enjoy what i've got for now. I know that an IR is in my future but I don't have to rush into it. Might as well build x-country time as I am going to need it for the IR anyhow.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Jeff

Back