Back in the Saddle, Again.......Likin' it.

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
Clear prop!! Mama has a new owner.

HR

Is there anything as inviting as a country-side airstrip?
(Bowdoinham, ME 08B

Last edited:
Lawreston said:

HR

(Bowdoinham, ME 08B

Cool deal.

Lawreston said:

HR

(Bowdoinham, ME 08B

So, when is your next lesson? :)

Carol said:
So, when is your next lesson? :)

66148 tie-down at Wiscasset is paid till end of May. Then I'll move to Auburn-Lewiston(for CFI), but only tie-down there until I get checked-out; will relocate to Bowdoinham and commute to LEW for my remaining CFI time.

HR

A piece of advice that MAY save you a bundle of cash..

pick up the tiedown ropes before you taxi.

Nice pics. Tom beat me to it about the tie downs. Also, what do you suppose the owner of the plane behind you might say when he sees you start up in the rows?

NC19143 said:
not sure I follow on the tiedown ropes comments ... the FBO that I fly from has the tiedown ropes firmly fixed to the tiedown eyes, and common practice there is to coil the ropes around the tiedown eyes and taxi out... is that not "so common"?

gkainz said:
not sure I follow on the tiedown ropes comments ... the FBO that I fly from has the tiedown ropes firmly fixed to the tiedown eyes, and common practice there is to coil the ropes around the tiedown eyes and taxi out... is that not "so common"?

You pick one up in a prop and you will think you have a "not so common" damage bill.

NC19143 said:

Ya know, Tom, I usually coil them at the eyebolt when I un-tie; but when I arrived at the airport Scott had the plane running. We switched seats, he took a couple photos, and we left. I noticed, when I got the photos back, that the juxtaposition in one of the photos makes it look as though 148 was still tail-tied. Actually, the rope was from the wing of a rearward plane.

HR

gkainz said:

You beat me to the punch, Greg. See my response to Tom Downey.

HR

gkainz said:

......and the only way to get the tie-down ropes clear of the tiedown eyes would be to cut them free. FBO wouldn't be too happy about that.

HR

NC19143 said:
You pick one up in a prop and you will think you have a "not so common" damage bill.
I hear ya on that one...another airport I fly to frequently has snap hooks on the ground end of the tie down ropes. When not in use, they hang from the fence, not on the ground. But, at my home base, they're firmly attached to the ground, so coiling them around the padeye is the best I can do. The tiedowns are one row deep, so taxi straight out keeps the prop at least 1/2 a wingspan from a prop fouling...

gkainz said:

More often than not I see the chain or rope spread full length across the ramp at every aprt I've been to. And it makes no difference if it's designated or if it's transient. The rope usually has a metal clip attached at the loose end which will take flight in close proximity to spinning props. I'm kinda' OCD about it--I will coil the chain or rope onto the hold down.

That's why I pull out from tiedown with the towbar, to keep from picking up the ropes by accident and also as a neighborly thing to do not to blow grit all over the other planes.

I never taxi over loose ropes. It's just an invitation for $15K tear-down bill.

Richard said:
More often than not I see the chain or rope spread full length across the ramp at every aprt I've been to.
This is SOP at my FBO. Both wing chain tiedowns pulled back, tail tiedown pulled to the left for visual checks and so no one runs over a pile of chain when pulling in.

Jerry--cool beans! Did you use Denny's book in the prepurchase process or was it more of a situation where he passed along some tips? (Or neither?)

555Juliet said:
Jerry--cool beans! Did you use Denny's book in the prepurchase process or was it more of a situation where he passed along some tips? (Or neither?)

I've not seen the book, but Denny's contributions, both here and in BABES, are of incalculable value to members. Through his assistance I knew more about "the Florida plane" than did its owner/seller. The pre-buy I had done unmasked what could have been a bunch of future problems -- I remember Maverick's prior miseries -- and when trustworthiness of the seller began to erode(in my mind), I walked away.

Rather than a pre-buy on 66148, I'm having a full annual done. It would be due in July, anyway; and it's being done by the same operation who did the last annual as well as three on my previous plane. And speaking of my previous plane, 66148's previous owner(I paid him the other half, yesterday) is, somewhat, salivating to own my old Skyhawk which he had flown since its restoration. How ironic that the two planes might become tied-down, adjacently, at little ol' Bowdoinham. That's 5.2sm from my house; and Scott has built a new house just off the end of #32.

HR

Back