Back in saddle

sarangan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew, CFI-I
After nearly 10 years, I am back flying. Gladly, airplanes still fly the same way, and airports still look the same, so it didn't take very long to get back into the groove, as far as flying.

The biggest change I've noticed is BasicMed and cockpit technology. What I used to do on a home computer prior to flight, it seems, can be all done from a tablet. So I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tablet A, and installed Garmin Pilot (I am an Android user). But some aspects of this are still unclear to me. Is the information on weather, TFR and NOTAMs considered official when it comes via Garmin Pilot? We used to call 1800-wxbrief or through duats. Do people still do that, or has that process been replaced with these tablet software? Additionally, these devices rely on wifi or cell data, so it seems it is for preflight planning only and not meant for real-time use. What is the advice on inflight use of cell phone data? FCC used to prohibit its use, but that was 10 years ago. Do people still carry paper charts?

I use both my iPhone and Samsung galaxy tab A in flight, fyi, for navigating (if you consider the magenta line 'navigating'). but for weather/traffic/metars/etc they're both connected to the ads-b source.

Each to their own on most of that. I use an Elf GPS to connect with an iPad in flight, but also carry paper charts.

@sarangan -- welcome back to the addiction!

No to using paper charts. Everything you need from those is now available on your tablet. And cost to maintain current charts for your usual area of operation and special trips is significantly reduced over the cost of keeping up with paper.

Portable electronic devices, including the tablets we use as electronic flight bags, are permitted for use while in flight. See FAA's Advisory Circular AC 91.21-D.

Is the information on weather, TFR and NOTAMs considered official when it comes via Garmin Pilot? We used to call 1800-wxbrief or through duats. Do people still do that, or has that process been replaced with these tablet software?

Before your flight, you can use your tablet for a legal weather briefing if your EFB software supports a connection to a legal briefing source, such as Leidos Flight Service (the current contractor for 800-WX-BRIEF). Calling the briefer is still encouraged, especially if you feel the information shown to your tablet didn't adequately answer your questions. Both methods are logged by Flight Service as an "official" contact.

Before flight, weather, TFR, and NOTAMs are obtained via an internet connection. So while at your desk, as you view the moving map and have the appropriate layer switched on, you will see this information depicted.

In flight, to see weather and TFR's and traffic, you will need an ADS-B "in" receiver that is turned on and connected to your tablet. For information on what ADS-B is and how you benefit from it, this article might help: https://www.aea.net/ads-b/pdf/ADS-B Learning The Ins and Outs.pdf.

Something else, many ADSB-In receivers also supply GPS position data to your tablet and EFB, allowing your EFB to overlay your position on your chart (aka geo referencing).

Additionally, these devices rely on wifi or cell data, so it seems it is for preflight planning only and not meant for real-time use.

What is the advice on inflight use of cell phone data? FCC used to prohibit its use, but that was 10 years ago.

WiFi/LTE is unreliable. I don't know about any "prohibitions" in a private aircraft.

ADS-B-in used in conjunction with your table provides access to more up to date info (weather) while in flight, but not for dodging thunderstorms; it's delayed.

Also, still a good idea to call 1-800 to get TFR info.

Also, still a good idea to call 1-800 to get TFR info.
I agree.

And if pilots sign up for a free account at www.FAASafety.gov, there is a tic box on your profile that will tell the system to email you TFR notices for your home area.

I find that feature very useful.

Congrats and welcome back to aviation.

Welcome back! I took a couple of years off and started getting back into the swing of things early this year. The switch to tablets and EFB software happened in my time away too. A few years ago, common opinion among pilots were that they'd fail and couldn't be relied on.

Heat can be an issue with tablets. In direct sunlight they can overheat and shut down on you. Be sure to have a cooling source. Some guys make it work with air vents blowing on the tablet. I built a pc fan into my yoke mount instead of buying an expensive x-naut cooling mount.

ADS-B in for your tablet would give you nexrad radar, metars, and TAFs on your tablet and keep them up to date in the air, as well as provide GPS position. You can build a Stratux kit or buy an assembled one for under $300. The price goes way up from there.

Most planes will be getting a transponder upgrade before 2020 to meet the ASS-B mandate (required basically anywhere mode C is currently required), and many of those updated transponders will provide ADS-B data to your tablet via Bluetooth.

The other thing that changed is that there are some RNAV/GPS approach types I'd never heard of before that are becoming common. A lot of VORs and localizers are being decommissioned.

LPV approaches use WAAS to create a GPS approach with similar precision to an ILS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats!!! I have a similar experience. Back flying for almost a year now. My break extends further, back when GPS was futuristic! While flying is the same I think techonology while can offer greater positional reference it can lead to significant distraction and instrument fixation!!! Especially when you first start using it. It doesn’t take like looking down and fumbling with an ipad to cause soem disequilibrium! Practice, learn the techno stuff in and out
Welcome back! Prepare to be poor again!

I use the free "Avare" for flight planning and preparation, and for georeferenced approach plates, but hate using it to look at sectionals. Zoom out, scroll around, zoom in to read the writing to see if you scrolled to the right place, zoom in more to read frequencies, etc. It's a big pain.

So I have a subscription through Joe Pilot for paper sectionals where I fly the most.

Did I mention that Avare is a free app, it runs well on my Galaxy Tab A and my Galaxy 8+, and it previously ran well on my Galaxy 6+? Just update the charts periodically using wifi at home, turn in the GPS and you're good to go.

Oh, "Aviation Weather From NOAA" is a good, free way to check weather at many airports, and provides TAFs when available, winds aloft forecasts, etc. A quick call to 1-800-WXBRIEF for an abbreviated briefing will fill you in in airspace issues, nav issues, TFRs, etc.

Does anyone use fltplan? IveI been playing with it for a couple of days and ImI considering using it when I start x-country flying.

Back