Back from Rita

Merf

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Merf 45R
Finally got power here in Hardin County, home of Hawthorne Field post hurricane Rita. The airport has been "Hawthorne City" since Sept 24, with some 500 Progress Energy power folks/and KAM services set up in their own tent city. This is an amazing feat in logistics -- the government/military should take note. They come complete with air conditioned tents, mess halls, showers on wheels, the nicest porta poties you'll ever set your bohiney on (they empty 'em bout 3 times a day -- shoot if I'da had a paper I'd read one in 'em). These professionals from North and South Carolina and Florida are some of the hardest working, friendly folks I have ever met. Anyone out there from these areas should be proud of these guys! We can't thank 'em enough. Took as many on short plane rides as I could squeeze in. They are leaving out this week and I'm tempted to pull wire down...I'm going to miss that food.

Didn't hear of much national coverage of our storm, we are 25 mi inland and roughly 75% of the homes/business sustained heavy damage/destroyed in our county alone. That's fine with the folks here, they took care of business. I did not grow up in this area, but I hope to die here. These folks know how to work together. Sunday morning after the storm, I flew Tweety Bird back into Hawthorne....worried about the airport and my plant (both sustained moderate damage). 5 hours later (5 miles), I cut my way to my house (with alot of help). My home received only minor damage, while 2 neighbors moderate and one destroyed (cut half in 2 by a 4' pine tree--front to back amazing)

Didn't get alot of pics of the damage, 'cause these idiots cleaned it up too fast (probably one reason for little news coverage). But here are some pics of "Hawthorne City" == note that most of the line trucks have already left for the day when the aerial shots taken. They leave before dawn and return after dusk.

The past 2 weeks have been a blur of heat and highs and lows. I don't wish this on anyone, but it has strengthened my personal perception of mankind. There still are folks who actually do stuff instead of waiting on someone else to. Here's the pics...maybe...post aerial shot next

Very inspiring tale, glad you're safe, welcome back!

more Hawthorne City...again most of crew gone in aerial shot. The 4300' taxiway two rows of line trucks, some had to be parked outside the gates, when all the crews were in.

Merf

Glad to hear you are OK and things are getting back to normal.

Back