Back Button Error

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
This could be just me...But I have noticed a few times now, If i hit the back button twice quickly while on POA I get a error (dump file?) in firefox, which then needs to close. Only seems to happen here, thats why i am posting.

Michael said:
This could be just me...But I have noticed a few times now, If i hit the back button twice quickly while on POA I get a error (dump file?) in firefox, which then needs to close. Only seems to happen here, thats why i am posting.

I went to the doctor to complain of the pain in my shoulder. He ask if it hurt
when I stretched it straight up over my head. I said it did. He said "dont do that then "

Been happening to me, too.
IIRC, it's only been happening on my Win2K machine with Firefox 1.06; I don't *think* it's happened on my WinXP laptop with Firefox 1.5 (but, I'm not as speedy on the laptop).

Hmph.

Michael said:
Try I.E.?
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I gotta go with igottafly's comment: "Don't do that"

The back button is a necessary evil of browsers. As a web application programmer, we hatess it, yess precious, hatess it!!

Greebo said:
Try I.E.?

The back button is a necessary evil of browsers. As a web application programmer, we hatess it, yess precious, hatess it!!

I've am using 1.5.0.2 of Firefox on two different machines both running WinXP and have not seen that happen yet.

Chuck: No matter what, I will not use IE again unless it is one of those poorly written web apps that only works with IE such as one my company has.

IE:vomit::vomit:

I just tried every combination/speed I could think of, using Firefox 1.5.0.2 and Windows XP SP2, and didn't get the same thing.

I'll try on my laptop later to try to reproduce. JOOC, Greebo, why detest the back button so much?

It plays hell with web applications that are designed to remember things statefully even tho web applications are supposed to be stateless. HTTP is so broadly used because its a shallow, lightweight technology thats easy to implement, but it can't inherently handle all the nice complex features of desktop apps...so people WILL insist that we work around http to implement them, then go using the back button to screw up everything we did for them.

When able, I just frickin disable the darn thing.

Oh, Back is fine for static content that never changes but thats about it.

Greebo said:
It plays hell with web applications that are designed to remember things statefully even tho web applications are supposed to be stateless.
When able, I just frickin disable the darn thing.

Oh, Back is fine for static content that never changes but thats about it.

Ah, so it's OK to disable even though the web designer is breaking the "stateless" rule... got it.. ;) :rolleyes:

Actually, there is little that angers me more than clicking on a result in a web search, finding out that the content is really not what I want, and being UNABLE to return to the search results page due to a programmer that disabled or looped the 'back' button to make you captive on their page. Grrrr...:mad:

wsuffa said:
Ah, so it's OK to disable even though the web designer is breaking the "stateless" rule... got it.. ;) :rolleyes:

Actually, there is little that angers me more than clicking on a result in a web search, finding out that the content is really not what I want, and being UNABLE to return to the search results page due to a programmer that disabled or looped the 'back' button to make you captive on their page. Grrrr...:mad:

Ahh - the magic "down arrow" next to the back button. I use that when I see those pages, and then vow to never return to that site again. (for loops...I can see reasoning for disabling the back button).

I keep my original search page open and right-click "open in new tab" to read the linked page (firefox) that way I don't lose my search page and results

wsuffa said:
Hey, if they force me to violate the stateless rules to operate under an application based model, I got NO problem MAKING them do so.
;)

gkainz said:
I keep my original search page open and right-click "open in new tab" to read the linked page (firefox) that way I don't lose my search page and results

Can't remember how I did it but I set up the mouse wheel so that if you hold it over a link and push it it opens that link in a new tab. Very handy!

My son showed me that one as well - I think it's default Firefox... I told him "that's cool and good job!" but I don't have a wheel on my itty bitty laptop mouse so my synapsis are trained to fire "right click"

Greebo said:
Try I.E.?

Been watching a little too much Lord of the Rings?

Greebo said:
Define "too much"?

I was hoping to watch it too much this winter but the wx was never bad enough. My hope was for a snowy weekend so I could just veg in front of the TV and watch all three extended versions back to back. MMYYYyyy preciousssss :rolleyes::rofl:

Actually I've only watched the LotR series ... maybe three times each, in total.

READ the series, or listened to it on audio books during my commute, is another matter. (Also the Silmarillion tho I've never managed to read it, just listen to it.)

Greebo said:
HTTP is so broadly used because its a shallow, lightweight technology thats easy to implement, but it can't inherently handle all the nice complex features of desktop apps.

And we wonder why web page source is so freakin' UGLY! Start with some basic HTML, add a little JScript, toss in some extra features like ViewState, Web Parts, custom controls, etc... Are we going forwards or backwards here?

Dan

Dan Smith said:
And we wonder why web page source is so freakin' UGLY! Start with some basic HTML, add a little JScript, toss in some extra features like ViewState, Web Parts, custom controls, etc... Are we going forwards or backwards here?

Dan
Neither. Just in circles.

OK, a little poking about found this...
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-146407.html

In a nutshell, users were experiencing the Firefox Back issue with another vBulletin site (v3.5.4, like PoA). The proposed workaround was to disable WYSIWYG editing.

In a totally non-scientific test, I've changed my PoA setting to the "Standard Editor" and have not experienced the problem since.

If you're using Firefox, you probably don't need me to tell you this. But, just in case...
  • Go to User CP
  • Click on Edit Options
  • Scroll down to Miscellaneous Options
  • For Message Editor Interface select Standard Editor (or Basic Editor) from the drop-down list
  • Click the Save Changes button at the bottom of the page

Hope this helps.

Back