Back at it!

Lachlan

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Lachlan
Hey everybody! I started flying lessons in 2004, and then it got expensive, so I put it on hold for about a year. Flew some more in 2004. Managed to cobble together about 20 hrs total, but I was trying too hard back then. By that I mean I was trying to make every second of flying time count and I was too hard on myself. I put it off until this summer. Now I have 11 recent hours logged and I'm taking my pre-solo check ride this Sunday. I feel ready. My CFI says I am definitely ready. The CFI who I asked to sit with me is a great instructor and has a lot of years and hours. I'm really looking forward to this flight. I'm having so much more fun this time around, and I'm committed to the whole trip- not stopping til I get my ticket. So, hello, I love airplanes, and I hope to be able to contribute some knowledge and experiences to the board some day.

Welcome to the forum,good luck on your training experience. Flying is supposed to be fun.

I'm having so much fun learning. I'm in no hurry at all, which may be why my instructor (same one I started with a decade ago!) said that I am learning so much faster than before. I'm not fixated on $$$ at all this time around. Last time I was very concerned about costs and that made me get pretty hard on myself if I didn't get something the first time. Well, now I've lived 10 more years to learn that it's a process and a journey, and it's 100% more fun than before. Don't get me wrong- I had a great time taking lessons before. This is just a more "enjoy every moment" kind of calm and relaxed approach I have now. I guess it's part of getting older.

Some things just can't be rushed. Good luck in your training and welcome to POA!

WELCOME AND GOOD LUCK!!

I'm having so much fun learning. I'm in no hurry at all, which may be why my instructor (same one I started with a decade ago!) said that I am learning so much faster than before. I'm not fixated on $$$ at all this time around. Last time I was very concerned about costs and that made me get pretty hard on myself if I didn't get something the first time. Well, now I've lived 10 more years to learn that it's a process and a journey, and it's 100% more fun than before. Don't get me wrong- I had a great time taking lessons before. This is just a more "enjoy every moment" kind of calm and relaxed approach I have now. I guess it's part of getting older.

Right, its not like you stop paying after you get the ticket, not sure why people sweat the pre-ticket cost so much. And training is flying after all.

Pre-solo stage check today. I flew well, knew all the answers, and I even performed my first short field landing as part of the check ride. The check ride CFI said he's never seen a pre-solo student land that short before. I needed power to taxi to the first turnoff! (I think I just got lucky.) Anyway, it as my most fun flight so far. Solo at next lesson.

You will NEVER forget when your CFI exits the airplane and says "Take her up." You'll TO, look right, and wonder "Where is he?" And you'll love the performance boost from losing 180 lb or so of "dead weight." :wink2:

Have fun with the journey. It sounds like you have a great attitude. And once you have that PPL in your wallet, it's yours forever! Good luck!

I flew solo yesterday. It was such a great feeling. My CFI had me so well prepared that it was actually a very relaxed flight. I did the traditional 2 t-n-g and a full stop. First landing was ok, 2nd was better, last one was best. C-172. As I listened to ATIS I heard that one of the 2 parallel rnwys was closed. When I taxied to the end of the rnwy I saw why: a 172RG had a collapsed nose gear on the end of the runway! I thought, "I bet that would freak out a lot of guys on their way out to fly their first solo!". :yikes: Didn't concern me, though. :dunno: Can't wait to go flying again. Cross country strts in a couple days! :yes:

Congrats on the solo! You never forget that feeling of looking over after takeoff and realizing there's no instructor there and you are solely responsible for getting the plane back on the ground in one piece. :)

Back