Baby seats in little aircraft

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Is it legal to place a child's car seat in the baggage area of a C-150 using the tie down points provided for tying the baggage down, and fly a child seated there?

Weight at the station will not be exceeded

Is it legal to place a child's car seat in the baggage area of a C-150 using the tie down points provided for tying the baggage down, and fly a child seated there?

Weight at the station will not be exceeded

WTF? Were you at Windwood and I missed you?

No. See 14 CFR 91.107: "The restraint system must be properly secured to an approved forward-facing seat or berth;..."

No. See 14 CFR 91.107: "The restraint system must be properly secured to an approved forward-facing seat or berth;..."

Would it not be facing forward? and properly secured? and is it not an NTSB approved child restraint?

In what manor doesn't a child restraint/seat, not meet the rule.

I also believe this is more to the issue

(iii) Notwithstanding any other requirement of this chapter, occupy an approved child restraint system furnished by the operator or one of the persons described in paragraph (a)(3)(iii)(A) of this section provided that:
(A) The child is accompanied by a parent, guardian, or attendant designated by the child's parent or guardian to attend to the safety of the child during the flight;

(B) Except as provided in paragraph (a)(3)(iii)(B)( 4 ) of this action, the approved child restraint system bears one or more labels as follows:

( 1 ) Seats manufactured to U.S. standards between January 1, 1981, and February 25, 1985, must bear the label: “This child restraint system conforms to all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards”;

( 2 ) Seats manufactured to U.S. standards on or after February 26, 1985, must bear two labels:

( i ) “This child restraint system conforms to all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards”; and

( ii ) “THIS RESTRAINT IS CERTIFIED FOR USE IN MOTOR VEHICLES AND AIRCRAFT” in red lettering;

( 3 ) Seats that do not qualify under paragraphs (a)(3)(iii)(B)( 1 ) and (a)(3)(iii)(B)( 2 ) of this section must bear a label or markings showing:

( i ) That the seat was approved by a foreign government;

( ii ) That the seat was manufactured under the standards of the United Nations; or

( iii ) That the seat or child restraint device furnished by the operator was approved by the FAA through Type Certificate or Supplemental Type Certificate.

( iv ) That the seat or child restraint device furnished by the operator, or one of the persons described in paragraph (a)(3)(iii)(A) of this section, was approved by the FAA in accordance with §21.8 or Technical Standard Order C–100b, or a later version.

( 4 ) Except as provided in §91.107(a)(3)(iii)(B)( 3 )( iii ) and §91.107(a)(3)(iii)(B)( 3 )( iv ), booster-type child restraint systems (as defined in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 213 (49 CFR 571.213)), vest- and harness-type child restraint systems, and lap held child restraints are not approved for use in aircraft; and

(C) The operator complies with the following requirements:

( 1 ) The restraint system must be properly secured to an approved forward-facing seat or berth;

( 2 ) The child must be properly secured in the restraint system and must not exceed the specified weight limit for the restraint system; and

( 3 ) The restraint system must bear the appropriate label(s).

(b) Unless otherwise stated, this section does not apply to operations conducted under part 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter. Paragraph (a)(3) of this section does not apply to persons subject to §91.105.

I also believe this is more to the issue

(iii) Notwithstanding any other requirement of this chapter, occupy an approved child restraint system furnished by the operator or one of the persons described in paragraph (a)(3)(iii)(A) of this section provided that:
(A) The child is accompanied by a parent, guardian, or attendant designated by the child's parent or guardian to attend to the safety of the child during the flight;

(B) Except as provided in paragraph (a)(3)(iii)(B)( 4 ) of this action, the approved child restraint system bears one or more labels as follows:

( 1 ) Seats manufactured to U.S. standards between January 1, 1981, and February 25, 1985, must bear the label: “This child restraint system conforms to all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards”;

( 2 ) Seats manufactured to U.S. standards on or after February 26, 1985, must bear two labels:

( i ) “This child restraint system conforms to all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards”; and

( ii ) “THIS RESTRAINT IS CERTIFIED FOR USE IN MOTOR VEHICLES AND AIRCRAFT” in red lettering;

( 3 ) Seats that do not qualify under paragraphs (a)(3)(iii)(B)( 1 ) and (a)(3)(iii)(B)( 2 ) of this section must bear a label or markings showing:

( i ) That the seat was approved by a foreign government;

( ii ) That the seat was manufactured under the standards of the United Nations; or

( iii ) That the seat or child restraint device furnished by the operator was approved by the FAA through Type Certificate or Supplemental Type Certificate.

( iv ) That the seat or child restraint device furnished by the operator, or one of the persons described in paragraph (a)(3)(iii)(A) of this section, was approved by the FAA in accordance with §21.8 or Technical Standard Order C–100b, or a later version.

( 4 ) Except as provided in §91.107(a)(3)(iii)(B)( 3 )( iii ) and §91.107(a)(3)(iii)(B)( 3 )( iv ), booster-type child restraint systems (as defined in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 213 (49 CFR 571.213)), vest- and harness-type child restraint systems, and lap held child restraints are not approved for use in aircraft; and

(C) The operator complies with the following requirements:

( 1 ) The restraint system must be properly secured to an approved forward-facing seat or berth;

( 2 ) The child must be properly secured in the restraint system and must not exceed the specified weight limit for the restraint system; and

( 3 ) The restraint system must bear the appropriate label(s).

(b) Unless otherwise stated, this section does not apply to operations conducted under part 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter. Paragraph (a)(3) of this section does not apply to persons subject to §91.105.

I see your point.. Some times I don't get it the first read, but when placed in context to the whole FAR it''s easier to spot.

WTF? Were you at Windwood and I missed you?

No I wasn't at Windwood but I did spot a child seat in a 150 today.. and was scratching my head about it.

Would it not be facing forward? and properly secured? and is it not an NTSB approved child restraint?

In what manor doesn't a child restraint/seat, not meet the rule.
The baggage compartment is not "an approved forward-facing seat or berth." Baggage compartments are not "berths." Berths are what you would sleep in on an old Pan Am Clipper or on an overnight flight in a DC-3 back in the 30's. Either you get the certified Cessna child seat or the kid stays out of the baggage compartment.

Last edited:
The baggage compartment is not "an approved forward-facing seat or berth." Baggage compartments are not "berths." Berths are what you would sleep in on an old Pan Am Clipper or on an overnight flight in a DC-3 back in the 30's. Either you get the certified Cessna child seat or the kid stays out of the baggage compartment.

See post #7..

Back