BA offers passenger crash survival courses

It's perhaps only strange it comes from the airline to the passengers. I've certainly been to safety seminars for GA and I've been aware of what airlines tell their own cabin crews.

I'll give you the simple:

1. Wear sensible stuff when flying. Flats for women, reasonable natural fibers (jeans are excellent).

2. Know from the time you sit down on the plane where the exits are around you and how to get to them. I get the card out and make sure I know how to operate the door.
There have been fires that broke out before taxi even so don't wait until the "briefing" to familiarize yourself. There have been cases where passengers pile up at a door not knowing how to get it open. I plan to get there first and get that thing open.

3. A flight attendent showed me they were trained to sit with their hands protected under their legs so that they would be best usuable later in the sequence.

4. Smoke hoods aren't a bad idea, but I have to admit I do not bother with them.

5. ALWAYS keep your seat belt fasted except when you NEED to get up. If you are walking down the aisle, an the construction of the aircraft doesn't preclude it, put you hand on the overhead bin as you go. If you get a sudden down draft this may protect you from being bounced off the ceiling. I once got several feet off the floor coming back from the lavs on a 747 that got into some turbulance. If you notice the flight attendants also will do this.

I guess I'll toss one in here... if you like sitting in those over-wing exit aisles...

Almost all safety cards show people removing the "plug" style over-wing exits and pulling them inside the cabin and setting them in a seat.

First off, they're heavy, be aware they're not lightweight.

Here's the tip: If it's a REAL emergency and you have to go out the over-wing exit, the only thing it's going to do if it's inside leaning on a seat is get knocked over, fall on someone's foot and break it, and/or become an obstacle to people trying to get out that exit.

Turn it sideways (it's bigger than the hole it's in, of course, since it's a "plug") on-edge, and give a big heave and throw the bastard out through the now open hole. It'll dent the wing. Not your problem.

The caveat here of course is, if you do this sitting on the ramp and the flight crew didn't even want folks going out the over-wing exits, you're probably going to be talking to an airline attorney who'll want to know how you're paying for the dented wing. :)

But in that one-in-a-bejillion that you find yourself in a broken airframe with people trying to get OUT and you're the person standing at that silly little thing... toss it the hell outside.

Back