BA drone near miss

Oooo. Five feet from DISASTER! I sure as **** wouldn't fly on an airliner that could be downed by contact with a drone.

Last edited:
Oooo. Five feet from DISASTER! I sure as **** wouldn't fly on an airliner that could be downed by contact with a drive.
Some drones are bigger than you might think. I wouldn't want to take a Matrice to the windshield of an airliner...

Isn't a predator the size of a cessna? They can come in many sizes.

I would think any size drone except for maybe the really small ones hitting a plane from small GA to large commercial at the wrong spot could potentially end in disaster.

It's bigger.
That's an MQ-9, which is a fair bit bigger than a Predator; but your point remains, even the Pred is bigger than, say, a 172 (but smaller than a Caravan).

Nauga,
and Cyrus McCormick

Did someone say 172 sized drone?

_133061663_tatarerstan.png

If we're going to point out that a military drone, which this wasn't, could take down an airliner then why not just point out that an actual 172 could take down an airliner?

Birds have taken down airliners, but we don't call every passing bird a near disaster.

It's all a matter of one's perspective. We could just as easily say that an airliner almost took down a drone (and I'd be amazed if the wake turbulence didn't).

I know a person who "only" flies drones under 1500 POUNDS.

There are some BIG drones out there. We are not talking hobby drones.

Oooo. Five feet from DISASTER! I sure as **** wouldn't fly on an airliner that could be downed by contact with a drone.

So I guess you don't fly on any airliners.

Remember, birds have taken down airliners.

If we're going to point out that a military drone, which this wasn't, could take down an airliner then why not just point out that an actual 172 could take down an airliner?

Birds have taken down airliners, but we don't call every passing bird a near disaster.
Are you of the opinion that it was ok that the drone was there; or just playing devil’s advocate?

Are you of the opinion that it was ok that the drone was there; or just playing devil’s advocate?
There's a whole lot of space between saying the drone should have been there and the flight came five feet from disaster.

So I guess you don't fly on any airliners.

Remember, birds have taken down airliners.

birds plural. Has a single bird taken down an airliner? just curious

Last edited:
There's a whole lot of space between saying the drone should have been there and the flight came five feet from disaster.
ANY strike to an airliner, sufficient to take it down or not, is a disaster, by definition.

birds plural. Has a single bird taken down an airliner? just curious
Not an airliner, but other aircraft. Hit large bird. Bird comes though the windscreen. Bird hits pilot, seriously injuring the pilot.

Hmm, Sully and the Hudson.
From Wikipedia:

At 15:27:11, during climbout, the plane struck a flock of Canada geese at an altitude of 2,818 feet (859 m) about 4.5 miles (7.2 km) north-northwest of LaGuardia. The pilots' view was filled with the large birds; passengers and crew heard very loud bangs and saw flames from the engines, followed by silence and an odor of fuel.
Not a bird, an entire flock of very large birds.

ANY strike to an airliner, sufficient to take it down or not, is a disaster, by definition.
Not by the definition I use.

According to Wikipedia:

There are over 13,000 bird strikes annually in the US alone. However, the number of major accidents involving civil aircraft is quite low and it has been estimated that there is only about one accident resulting in human death in one billion (109) flying hours. The majority of bird strikes (65%) cause little damage to the aircraft; however, the collision is usually fatal to the bird(s) involved.

Then again, there was that fish strike at Juneau.

Bird strikes can do some damage, but it’s the ALPA strikes that ground airliners.

Not by the definition I use.

According to Wikipedia:
I guess you misinterpreted my reply to include bird strikes.

There's a difference between a bird and a willful drone operator - by a very, very wide margin.

Even if a drone operator only causes $1000 in damage to the airliner, it's a disaster, because the drone operator WAS NOT supposed to be there.

Back