BA 777 burns KLAS

Well, this should settle the debate finally. High wings are better.

Good job by all involved. Plane was on takeoff,what a surprise for everyone.

Kudos to the crew...they did a hell of a job on the evac looks like.

getasset.aspx

Sad thing about any evac is you can do everything perfect and people still get hurt. You know the second you order the evacuation you're going to have injuries just from the frightened herd effect of people trampling each other.

I saw one photo of people on the ramp with baggage.:mad2:

Its just natural to grab the bags. Time to leave the plane, grab the bags. Most, if not all passengers may have never done an emergency evacuation before.

None of you guys are asking the important question!

Would it be legal and/or ethical for the crew to log PIC/SIC time?????????????????

Last edited:
None of you guys are not asking the important question!

Would it be legal and/or ethical for the crew to log PIC/SIC time?????????????????

I believe the standard is 'intent to fly', so yes, they can log the taxi time.:D

Looks like they might have blew a disk with that much damage to the nacelle although the outboard section looks it wasn't as bad so who knows. Lucky whatever exited the engine went down and not into the cabin.

Cheers

I'd have my backpack...

Nice...hold up everyone behind you while you grab it from wherever you put it.

I just consider that the airline bought me a new back pack and whatever was in it.

Nice...hold up everyone behind you while you grab it from wherever you put it.

I just consider that the airline bought me a new back pack and whatever was in it.

It's at my feet, no delays involved, my suitcases can burn for all I care, the paperwork in my backpack is irreplaceable.

It's at my feet, no delays involved, my suitcases can burn for all I care, the paperwork in my backpack is irreplaceable.

So why would you carry it on a plane? If you were in front of me, trying to pull any kind of bag out and not moving towards and exit, I'd sock you one in the head.

Aaaaand with that, boys and girls, the thread is derailed and we will start discussing whatever unrelated topics we can come up. :D

But seriously, looking at the picture, why did they open the port doors and deployed slides? That's where the fire was! :eek: :hairraise:

Aaaaand with that, boys and girls, the thread is derailed and we will start discussing whatever unrelated topics we can come up. :D

But seriously, looking at the picture, why did they open the port doors and deployed slides? That's where the fire was! :eek: :hairraise:

Did you see the pictures of the smoke on both sides of the cabin? Those inside prolly couldn't tell which way out was the best.

No matter, the results speak for themselves. No fatalities. Heck of a job by the cabin crew.

I don't know about BA Flight Attendants but ours are trained to YELL "LEAVE EVERYTHING ". As a reminder to break the cycle of habitually grabbing for your bags.

photos; looks hot to me

Attachments

• 12002892_10153765476108714_3033120918736925359_n.jpg
    12002892_10153765476108714_3033120918736925359_n.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 40
  • vegas2_3433621b.jpg
    vegas2_3433621b.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 40
NTSB update
"left engine revealed multiple breaches of the engine case in the area around the high pressure compressor"
ie uncontained failure; no suggestion of cabin penetration

Agree. I would just start shoving them along. No way I'm waiting on people to get baggage when the plane is on fire.

I wouldn't begrudge a soft-sided bag or maybe a portfolio, as long as it didn't cause ANY delay. Its the guy with the roller-bag I take issue with. I can just imagine the split skull caused by the loose bag going down the egress slide.

So how long does it take for 160 people to evacuate an airliner? Nice job by the crew and emergency personnel...
icon14.gif

Damn lucky the disc went down instead of into the cabin. I've investigated a few disc failures back in the day and the energy that's released would have caused a bloodbath in the cabin if it went that way. I recall one where the major part of the disc exited the engine, went a hundred or so yards down the flight line, through the roof of a building and then set the floor on fire when it landed.

Cheers

Damn lucky the disc went down instead of into the cabin. I've investigated a few disc failures back in the day and the energy that's released would have caused a bloodbath in the cabin if it went that way. I recall one where the major part of the disc exited the engine, went a hundred or so yards down the flight line, through the roof of a building and then set the floor on fire when it landed.

Cheers

No kidding, when those things let go, wow, there's a bunch of energy flying.

Cheers

There was a pretty good disc failure in a 767 at LAX a few years ago. No one in the cabin, but the #1 engine shredded and part of the disc went through the center fuel tank, cabin, and most of engine #2. Lit the empty airplane up pretty good, and apparently, at least one piece was found 1/2 mile away.

http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/american-767-uncontained-engine-failure.69275/

Last edited:
Quantas had one let go on an A-380 that did significant damage as well.

Theyre lucky this didn't happen just a little later on as I don't think they would've gotten it on the ground in time the way it was burning.

Back