B17 log

Wow. What a treat to get an inside look without all the hero worship.

It's those kind of log entries that makes their lives and what they did very real as if it were happening recently, not long ago.

very neat. too bad the last entry was so short...

Thanks for posting that--I am reading "Memphis Belle" right now, and the author (the pilot) does not get that graphic with the missions.

It took me two days to find time to read the whole thing, but wow was it worth it! That was absolutely fascinating. Last weekend I got to see a B-29 Nav speak and he some harrowing tales as well. It's the nonchalant tone they both take when talking about the incredible danger they were in that completely astounds me. "500-600 forts on this raid. We had three large holes in our plane. One engine was taken out by flak, another was on fire. One fort went down, two minutes later, another. Then another. Then another. I went to the show tonight."

Incredible. We ***** and moan about an approach to mins in continuous turb. They did all that without decent nav aids, at the end of a 1600nm trip being chased by enemy fighters, hammered by flak, knowing their friends aren't coming home behind them, and often with large (and important) parts of their aircraft missing or on fire.

Reading this stuff never gets old.

Incredibly interesting. Thank you for posting. I've printed it out and am reading it at night a few pages at a time. Wow.

I agree excellent story.

High points for me were
1. took off at 8:30
2. left England at 11:15
3. something like 6 forts shot down
4 landed at 12:45

I had heard this before, especially for dog fights, that the actual combat times were often very short. I remember reading about one account during the Battle of Britain where there were something like 50 airplanes in a dog fight that lasts only about 5-10 minutes after that all that is left the guys that bailed out still floating to the ground.

The other thing I thought was interested was the time bombs set to go off between 15 minutes and 36 hours after dropping. What a great way to disrupt production on the ground with minimal casualties.

Brian

Len Deighton's Bomber might be of interestif you haven't already read it.

A bit more on the reality side of things compared to other books based on WWII.

Back