B12

G

There is a doctor that likes to do B12 checks on all her patients. If you are found low in B12 during a regular checkup because of this (not because you had symptoms) and are put on shots what do you need to report at the next medical? Do you need to ground yourself?

Alternately what if your B12 is within normal lab range but the doctor would like to see it higher and orders the shots. Would this be a non-issue?

This is for Class II.

Googling for why would a doc check B12 level found this on WebMD.

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/vitamin-b12-test#1

My “I-am-not-an-AME-nor-did-I-stay-at-at-a-Holiday-Inn-last-night” opinion is that you should report the visit to the doc as normal, but not sweat reporting the individual test unless it discovered something that the doctor is going to treat you for.

Otherwise, we’d have to report each test during the exam such as when they listened to our heart lungs, rapped on our knee with the hammer, told us to say Ahh, etc.

But if you have serious concerns on how a doctor visit, contact your AME and set up a consultation visit (aka not a live exam).

Sigh. Tell the doc you'll take oral B12 and recheck in 3 months.
This is slightly to excess on his part.

What would I do?

Find a new doc

Also since it's a vitimin is it even need to be reported? Off the cuff I'd err on no

Yeah, it needs an Rx for injection. The pharmacy codes are public.

:(

Why not recommend a over the counter oral?

Is there a large difference in quality, or is there a financial benifit to the doc or something?

Financial benefit - you got it.

Why not recommend a over the counter oral?

Is there a large difference in quality, or is there a financial benifit to the doc or something?

It's really the injection does a better job than the oral version of getting you up to "goal levels."

However, it were me I would just take 1000mcg of oral b12 daily and call it a day.

OP here.

Oral it is. Thanks doc.

And thanks to the others for your thoughts.

The issue is gastric absorption, the shots bypass that. But I read that studies have shown oral treatment can be effective even in the case of lack of intrinsic factor, as long as the dose is large enough.

So no injection prescription = nothing triggering FAA scrutiny, good deal all around.

Out of curiosity, do you have any issues or concerns related to this?

There is a doctor that likes to do B12 checks on all her patients. If you are found low in B12 during a regular checkup because of this (not because you had symptoms) and are put on shots what do you need to report at the next medical? Do you need to ground yourself?

Alternately what if your B12 is within normal lab range but the doctor would like to see it higher and orders the shots. Would this be a non-issue?

This is for Class II.
According to the link posted by @AggieMike88...
Do I Need the Test?
Your doctor may recommend you have one for a few different reasons, such as:
  • You’ve been diagnosed with anemia.
  • He suspects you have a medical condition that affects how well your body absorbs B12.
  • You’re taking medications that may interfere with B12 absorption.
  • You have symptoms linked to low B12 levels.
I am not a doctor, so I'm asking this question to the doctors on here. Isn't it strange that she would test ALL of her patients for low B12, then order shots when the levels are on the low side of the normal range?

Out of curiosity, do you have any issues or concerns related to this?

The short answer is no. Well except a family history. But if it is true that the population on average is somewhat deficient, it seems like cheap insurance. I don't know if this is true but seems plausible so I have no problem going along with the doctor on this (consequences, like dementia, peripheral neuropathy, want to do everything possible to improve odds against)

Can't hurt, and my question is, can it hurt the FAA medical certification?

It seems the answer is: Oral no, injections might earn you unwanted FAA attention. And since what literature I can google is telling me oral is effective as long as the dose is high enough, we can have our cake and eat it too.

The issue is gastric absorption, the shots bypass that.

From what I've read, this is a big issue with those who take PPI's for GERD. It greatly reduces the amount of B vitamins absorbed from foods and vitamins.

I am not a doctor, so I'm asking this question to the doctors on here. Isn't it strange that she would test ALL of her patients for low B12, then order shots when the levels are on the low side of the normal range?
It is a bit of a fad right now. I did start taking some B12 sublingual when I was feeling particularly stressed and fatigued, and I did notice an effect. But when I'm well rested and eating well, I don't notice a difference whether I take it or not. And I've been on a PPI for many years.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back